Dress code in an AGM?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread has meandered off track, but shows some interesting behavioural traits😁😁

If a club doesn't insist on jacket and tie most of the time, to insist on it for the AGM seems a bit silly.

I went to my mum's funeral because, to not go, would be unthinkable. Wether or not I would enjoy it wasn't even a consideration. But times change, maybe my reles won't come to my funeral because something more enjoyable is in the calendar 🤣🤣

As long as it's the AGM it's acceptable

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can do the same, raise a glass, at home or wherever. I respect anyone's choice on this but I think it is important that people do have a choice and are not simply pressured into doing something they have no wish to.

Interestingly, we are seeing more people have the Pure style of cremation now, basically no service, no ceremony, they deal with the cremation as a process. No actual funeral. My MiL had one, my FiL is surrounded by older people in his cul de sac who are steadily dropping away and the most recent one had the same. In both instances, they had family, it was their choice to go down this route.

Should have been at my grandads one yesterday, my nan invited her entire women's club..never seen more freeloaders there for the free buffet lunch lol 🤣

Lots of the family left standing as the day trippers hogged the tables

Pushing in the queue for food in front of my wife

Was hilarious

I eventually got a table with various members of family and friends. Then was 2 randoms I was like how you know grandad? Oh I worked at the bank he banked in 🤣

PaulMdj

Visit site
No, the days of requirement for men to wear suits to weddings (unless part of the wedding party) are long gone.
We know it’s not a requirement! So I take it if your mate (hypothetically) had made that request for her wedding you’d of turned down the invitation?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This thread has meandered off track, but shows some interesting behavioural traits😁😁

If a club doesn't insist on jacket and tie most of the time, to insist on it for the AGM seems a bit silly.

I went to my mum's funeral because, to not go, would be unthinkable. Wether or not I would enjoy it wasn't even a consideration. But times change, maybe my reles won't come to my funeral because something more enjoyable is in the calendar 🤣🤣
Went to both my mum and dads funeral and had to be the one to organise my mums (not a pleasant experience) but as you say to go would be unthinkable. I was thinking more extended family (cousins etc) or friends and so would rather go to a wake and enjoy some memories over a drink

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are a number of etiquette routines I don't follow because they don't make any sense to me.
-I tend not to take my hat off when shaking hands at the end, I'm not trying to be disrespectful....just no point to it.
-Shaking hands can get carried away by itself....when I first joined a club in 2015 I was in a group that all stopped to shake hands 3 times in the last 4 holes. The match was officially over by the 15th so they all shook hands. The back nine was lost shortly after, so they all shook hands. Then the finish so they all shook hands.
-Then there is the almost comical (to me) of having to mumble "good shot" when other people are hitting their drives. It doesn't really matter where the shot goes, somebody still says "good shot". I don't mind saying "good shot" if it IS a good shot....not just because you made contact with the ball....although for some that might be a good thing :)
-A guy I played with at my first club decided to bow to each other instead of shaking hands at the end....we kept doing it, but it never caught on.

Each generation tends to change etiquette from the earlier generation. Some insist on trying to keep things the same forever. When you look back on how things have been changing in golf the last 10-15 years....it's actually been happening fairly quickly.....relatively speaking.
Agree with you on these! I don't always take my hat off, it can be a bit of a faff if you're holding a putter, a golf ball, a scorecard maybe and trying to shake someone's hand at the same time. Also I remember during Covid we were told to fist-bump instead of shaking hands, which I quite liked - it was quicker at least. But that doesn't seem to have caught on, and after a period of either/or it seems most people are back to handshakes now.

I think the 'good shot' thing for any half-decent strike is more of a higher-handicapper thing to say - i.e. a shot they'd be happy with. Personally I will wait for the outcome before saying good shot if it is on the fairway/green.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Always enjoy wearing my Prince Charlie jacket with my kilt whenever the opportunity arises. It’s nice feeling ‘smart’ from time to time…and in the context of an AGM I rather like wearing a jacket and feeling smarter than I usually feel (that being a bit of a scruff it has to be said).

Much of this discussion I find frustrating and a bit disappointing tbh, as it seems to revolve around what the individual wants - ‘it’s all about me’ mentality. If I don’t want to do something then why should I…well that seems to be the way of it these days…and I don’t think society is the better for it.

If members of a golf club wish the AGM dress code to be relaxed from J&T then they can vote for it, and job done, until then, well the code is the code (I’ll note that my place relaxed it a few years ago, though many members still wear J&T, or just J - I’ll also 100% admit and accept that I’m an old traditionalist when it comes to matters golf)

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always enjoy wearing my Prince Charlie jacket with my kilt whenever the opportunity arises. It’s nice feeling ‘smart’ from time to time…and in the context of an AGM I rather like wearing a jacket and feeling smarter than I usually feel (that being a bit of a scruff it has to be said).

Much of this discussion I find frustrating and a bit disappointing tbh, as it seems to revolve around what the individual wants - ‘it’s all about me’ mentality. If I don’t want to do something then why should I…well that seems to be the way of it these days…and I don’t think society is the better for it.

If members of a golf club wish the AGM dress code to be relaxed from J&T then they can vote for it, and job done, until then, well the code is the code (I’ll note that my place relaxed it a few years ago, though many members still wear J&T, or just J - I’ll also 100% admit and accept that I’m an old traditionalist when it comes to matters golf)
It depends on your perspective. You see this as being disappointing because it is all 'about me'. I find your, and other, responses equally disappointing as they are all about what you want to impose on others. It's all 'about me' still, just me is you. It's what you want. The difference is, you seek to impose those decisions on others whereas I don't mind if you dress up, dress down, whatever. Your choice.

Clearly we simply have to disagree about the approaches.

D-S

Visit site
It depends on your perspective. You see this as being disappointing because it is all 'about me'. I find your, and other, responses equally disappointing as they are all about what you want to impose on others. It's all 'about me' still, just me is you. It's what you want. The difference is, you seek to impose those decisions on others whereas I don't mind if you dress up, dress down, whatever. Your choice.

I was just about to express the same opinion but probably not as eloquently. It is all about your perspective and what you consider ‘traditions’, not those of the generations before you or after you.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

I think SILH was saying the committee (elected by the members to represent the members) has the right to set the rules.
It's not one opinion versus another. It's one opinion versus a collective.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There was a post earlier, can’t remember who posted up, about online voting.

Hallelujah!

Admittedly, those that vote online might miss a part of the debate that could influence how they vote. But let’s be honest, how many people change their mind?

If voting online brings in more votes, I’ll vote for it. Whatever decisions are made at an AGM/EGM, the more members that vote the more it reflects what a greater percentage of the membership wants.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Agree with you on these! I don't always take my hat off, it can be a bit of a faff if you're holding a putter, a golf ball, a scorecard maybe and trying to shake someone's hand at the same time. Also I remember during Covid we were told to fist-bump instead of shaking hands, which I quite liked - it was quicker at least. But that doesn't seem to have caught on, and after a period of either/or it seems most people are back to handshakes now.

I think the 'good shot' thing for any half-decent strike is more of a higher-handicapper thing to say - i.e. a shot they'd be happy with. Personally I will wait for the outcome before saying good shot if it is on the fairway/green.
If a fellow player takes his hat/cap off to shake hands with me then out of respect to him I will take mine off…no question.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There was a post earlier, can’t remember who posted up, about online voting.

Hallelujah!

Admittedly, those that vote online might miss a part of the debate that could influence how they vote. But let’s be honest, how many people change their mind?

If voting online brings in more votes, I’ll vote for it. Whatever decisions are made at an AGM/EGM, the more members that vote the more it reflects what a greater percentage of the membership wants.
We have the option to put in our vote via proxy if we can't attend. At the last EGM they changed the description of one of the options slightly to clarify the point, and I got an email from the club asking if I could confirm my original vote or if I wanted to change my mind after the clarification. Anything that gets more people to vote is a winner in my view.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Nothing is imposed on me by others, because when I join a club I accept all that the club requires of me. If in time I wish things to be changed then I know what to do.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have the option to put in our vote via proxy if we can't attend. At the last EGM they changed the description of one of the options slightly to clarify the point, and I got an email from the club asking if I could confirm my original vote or if I wanted to change my mind after the clarification. Anything that gets more people to vote is a winner in my view.
We have had our EGM about the articles of the club. One was reworded prior to the meeting and votes taken by proxy were held and the directors asked for it to be re-voted on by proxy for those that didn't attend. They took note of the votes cast in the room by those in person who were told about the changes directly and when the proxy votes recounted it was only 74.49% in favour so wasn't passed and remains as it