Dress code in an AGM?

Mandofred

Visit site
But nobody does…and we are talking about caps/hats.
I was talking about behaviors showing respect...........caps are version, being prostrate is a version. Just doing something because "that's the way we've always done it" is not a good reason to keep doing it. If it makes you feel better to take your hat off, I'm fine with that. If you are "insulted" because I don't take my hat off.....I'd say there is an issue with you.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was talking about behaviors showing respect...........caps are version, being prostrate is a version. Just doing something because "that's the way we've always done it" is not a good reason to keep doing it. If it makes you feel better to take your hat off, I'm fine with that. If you are "insulted" because I don't take my hat off.....I'd say there is an issue with you.
Nah - it’s not about because it’s what has always been done. If I show you respect and you don’t reciprocate in a likewise manner I might find that disappointing (indeed a reciprocated gesture of respect might not be removing your cap but whatever it is it should be obvious in its meaning). Not going to get in any way wound up by it, but I might well think that it doesn’t reflect well on you. If you don’t care then fine.

Mandofred

Visit site
Nah…doesn’t work that way. If I show you respect and you don’t reciprocate in a likewise manner I might find that disappointing (indeed that might not be removing your cap but whatever it is it should be obvious in its meaning). Not going to get in any way wound up by it, but I might well think that it doesn’t reflect well on you. If you don’t care then fine.
So let me get this right......if you take your hat off at the end of the round and I don't...you will consider this a gross etiquette breach...yet you are fine with it? Hmmmm

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So let me get this right......if you take your hat off at the end of the round and I don't...you will consider this a gross etiquette breach...yet you are fine with it? Hmmmm
Not what I said. If I take my cap off at the end of the round as a gesture of respect to you then if you are wearing a cap I might well expect the gesture reciprocated. If you didn’t I wouldn’t consider it a gross breach of etiquette. It’s really just good manners. That’s all.

Mandofred

Visit site
Not what I said. If I take my cap off at the end of the round as a gesture of respect to you then if you are wearing a cap I might well expect the gesture reciprocated. If you didn’t I wouldn’t consider it a gross breach of etiquette. It’s really just good manners. That’s all.
I repeat what I said above. You are offended....just not "grossly". Not sure that is a word......but I like it.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
No not for us. i’m a fan of certain levels of dress code on the course but this seems very old fashioned.

if anything it’s handing the porter to the old guard as it will put younger members off no doubt
Perhaps it should serve to further civilize the younger members if they wish to be heard and recognized.
In America, at least, life has gone casual far beyond what would once have passed for even civility itself.

Mandofred

Visit site
Of course......now I'm talking about ducks.......guess I could turn that back to wearing twead as a duck killing attire...? What is etiquette in the duck killing world?

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
EGM has taken place. I actually went with a few others due to the topics being discussed. Committee were all in club blazers and ties, as expected. All other men in attendance wore tie and jacket of some description. Some had full suits on, some elected for jeans on bottom. The women in attendance just wore normal clothes, like they would any other day of the week in the clubhouse.

The attire offered zero to the meeting (and the women somehow managed to offer worthy input despite not wearing jacket/tie…) but added to the surrealism and the general aura of self importance from some.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

“Doffing your hat” is a sign of respect. I used to take mine off and shake hands at the end of a round. Over here in Spain virtually no one takes their’s off at the end of a round. I found I got out of the habit - too ruddy hot!

What others do is up to them. It’s not something that ever bothered me either way.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
“Doffing your hat” is a sign of respect. I used to take mine off and shake hands at the end of a round. Over here in Spain virtually no one takes their’s off at the end of a round. I found I got out of the habit - too ruddy hot!

What others do is up to them. It’s not something that ever bothered me either way.
All that I am saying is that if someone takes their cap off when shaking hands, then I recognise that as a courtesy they have extended to me that they need not have done, and therefore I consider it incumbent on me to return that courtesy in the same manner. If they don’t - then I might not either. For me it’s just good manners and how I was brought up…return courtesies to others as they extend them to me. But each to his own.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
All that I am saying is that if someone takes their cap off when shaking hands, then I recognise that as a courtesy they have extended to me that they need not have done, and therefore I consider it incumbent on me to return that courtesy in the same manner. If they don’t - then I might not either. For me it’s just good manners and how I was brought up…return courtesies to others as they extend them to me.

I agree with you. But, equally, I recognise that times change.

An example. A few years back I held a door open for a ‘lady’ as I walked into M&S. Did I get a thank you? No, I got a I hope you didn’t hold that door for me because I’m female. My reply was, “don’t worry, I held it because I’m a gentleman.” My god, she was a picture sucking a lemon.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All that I am saying is that if someone takes their cap off when shaking hands, then I recognise that as a courtesy they have extended to me that they need not have done, and therefore I consider it incumbent on me to return that courtesy in the same manner. If they don’t - then I might not either. For me it’s just good manners and how I was brought up…return courtesies to others as they extend them to me. But each to his own.

Raised right, 👏

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've actually deliberately filled my hands with gear on 18th green so I can (need to) first pump rather than reciprocate your hand shake

Not a respect thing, just that I noticed you peeing in the trees three times during the round and didn't wash your hands at all

Great respect from those folks... not!

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Around 25 years ago I turned up at my first AGM in a jacket and tie as that was the way it was then.

I felt hot and uncomfortable.

And probably most of the people there felt the same.

There is not a chance I would do that now if it was still expected - thankfully it isn't.