Would you join a club that did not have a dress code?

Would you join a club that didn’t have a dress code?

• Yes

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

PaulMdj

Visit site
I've worn sandals or waterproof walking boots before, when they were most appropriate for the weather. It wasn't a problem.
Playing golf in sandals, athletic shorts and a breathable t-shirt in extreme heat feels liberating.
I don't think anyone who has ever worn jeans to play golf would repeat it, purely for restriction of movement and being uncomfortable when hot or wet.
Different if you already play Golf and realise what footwear is approriate, some footwear, imo, would not be approriate and could lead to the course suffering damage or the Golfer taking a fall.👍🏻

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Down the years I’ve joined 14 clubs. I’ve never asked what the dress code was beforehand. For me, especially if there is a choices of clubs, I’ll pick the one with the best course. Whatever the rule is, I’ll follow it. If a number of members decide to contest the rule, either way, I’ll vote for my preference then.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I've never had the urge to join a club. I often play in jeans and a t shirt if I'm playing a course with no dress code, but generally adhere to it if they do. Although at those that say 'recognised golf clothing', even I've never owned any sort of 'recognised' golf shirt, no one has ever said anything.

sunshine

Visit site
I've never had the urge to join a club. I often play in jeans and a t shirt if I'm playing a course with no dress code, but generally adhere to it if they do. Although at those that say 'recognised golf clothing', even I've never owned any sort of 'recognised' golf shirt, no one has ever said anything.

I don't really understand why anyone would choose to wear jeans for golf. Too thick to be comfortable wearing for a 4 hour walk in the summer, quickly become waterlogged and take ages to dry.

sunshine

Visit site
I almost certainly would…though I think that I’d have a look at how it works in practice as I wouldn’t want to be irritated by stupid, inappropriate or provocative wear…some tee shirts can have what I might consider unacceptable messages or images.

And football shirts being allowed…now that could be fun.

I'm sure you'd love it. You've previously explained how you judge people based on adherance to dress code, just think how much fun you could have if there was no code at all!

PaulMdj

Visit site
See post #21.

Had an incident as JLO when a dad brought his son along to join and thought it would be OK if the kid wore his football boots as they’d help with grip.

What Clothes people wear doesn’t bother me at all, but the Course itself should be looked after and footwear is something that could damage the greens.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I don't really understand why anyone would choose to wear jeans for golf. Too thick to be comfortable wearing for a 4 hour walk in the summer, quickly become waterlogged and take ages to dry.
I don't find either of those things a problem. I avoid playing when rain is forecast.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I have said on here before.
In The 1980/90's I ran some of England's busiest municipal courses
Our course rules stipulated that 'Players must wear clothing and footwear appropriate for golf'.

During that time we very very seldom had any issues. [ Sandals and vests did not get past the reception desk /1st tee starters [T shirts. jeans and trainers did, other than in GC competitions/matches.]
I recall an open meeting when a golf club official wished to stop youngsters wearing jeans on the course
The politician in charge of my department [a non golfer] made the brilliant response by saying 'I'd rather see youngsters playing in jeans than not playing golf at all, wouldn't you ?]

BTW Our Muni main course went on to develop at least 7 England International players and umpteen Regional and County Champions and players.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
If men in particular were wearing cutoff denim shorts and tank tops at a club,
the place would have to be Pebble Beach at local muni prices for me to join.

Actually, even then I'd have to think about it.
Is intermingling with vulgarians pleasant at any venue?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Yes, it can be.

Intermingling with stuck-up snobs can be very unpleasant, sometimes.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My answer to both the polls was yes as the golf available is of far more importance to me than the dress codes. Though I can see that some are mildly onerous.

In this poll though my yes is very definite as I am a member of a club without a dress code though I believe football colours are discouraged.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That’s what you get, along with flip flops at some courses in Hawaii. Absolutely fine in my book.

The six balls and six hour round is far more of an issue.

Last edited: