Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Yes - but if too strict don’t play

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

D-S

Visit site
I reserve the absolute right to judge others and I do frequently. However the thought that I could or would ban them from a course or clubhouse is an anathema to me. What right do I have to impose my fashion sense or lack of it to other generations? This is why dress codes have all but died out in almost all restaurants and hotels. This process is accelerating and, like it or not, golf will step into line. All it will do is give elderly members something else to harrumph about.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Every time I hear folk being judged on what clothes they wear I think of this great poem.

RichA

Visit site
I reserve the absolute right to judge others and I do frequently. However the thought that I could or would ban them from a course or clubhouse is an anathema to me. What right do I have to impose my fashion sense or lack of it to other generations? This is why dress codes have all but died out in almost all restaurants and hotels. This process is accelerating and, like it or not, golf will step into line. All it will do is give elderly members something else to harrumph about.
I feel like there's maybe a bit of a difference here between people who just go to play golf with mates and people who go to "The Golf Club."

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why do we then see courses full of people following dress codes yet still have un-replaced divots, pitch marks not repaired and bunkers not raked? I'm confused?

Perhaps some are aware that any dress code misdemeanours are visible to others when on the 1st tee or when in the clubhouse or pro shop beforehand or when signing in - and they might be pulled up…embarrassing. But once out on the course some clearly feel quite free to ignore or flaunt what is required of them in respect of care for the course, and duty of care to other players following.

I dunno. Yes of course I’m stretching the point about dress code misdemeanours being on the same spectrum of disregarding golf rules or etiquette - but it’s all about respect for the club, course and other players.

3 jabber

Visit site
There are around 3000 courses in GB & I.

I wonder how many of them have dress codes that would trip up 99.9% of golfers?

I bet it's a very small percentage.

It's so easy to check these days too. If you chose not to, I guess that's up to you.

Is it logical? Who cares?
You are absolutely correct. Collared shirt, long trousers and proper golf shoes will pass 100% of dress codes but people still get it wrong.

sunshine

Visit site
Perhaps some are aware that any dress code misdemeanours are visible to others when on the 1st tee or when in the clubhouse or pro shop beforehand or when signing in - and they might be pulled up…embarrassing. But once out on the course some clearly feel quite free to ignore or flaunt what is required of them in respect of care for the course, and duty of care to other players following.

I dunno. Yes of course I’m stretching the point about dress code misdemeanours being on the same spectrum of disregarding golf rules or etiquette - but it’s all about respect for the club, course and other players.

You are just plain wrong. What next? People who don't tuck their shirt in are more likely to be paedophiles and murderers? It's the same logic.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You are just plain wrong. What next? People who don't tuck their shirt in are more likely to be paedophiles and murderers? It's the same logic.
I’m not wrong…it’s just my opinion…that people who ‘don’t tuck their shirt’ in when the dress code requires them to might also not do other simple things required of them. That is a not unreasonable possibility. But it’s only my opinion.

…and to me your ‘same’ logic is palpable nonsense…but ok…it’s your nonsense 😘

Last edited:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m not wrong…it’s just my opinion…that people who ‘don’t tuck their shirt’ in when the dress code requires them to might also not do other simple things required of them. That is a not unreasonable possibility. But it’s only my opinion.

I've thought about this for a while, but recently I have been more convinced about it - welcome to my ignore list.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Seriously!
You look at someone without their shirt tucked in and think they’re someone who doesn’t replace divots? 🤦🏻‍♂️

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Got any examples of how your thoughts might be right?
No. I simply shrug and accept that some folks sometimes do whatever suits themselves best - that’s life.

ETA…In fact it’s not really that when I see someone breaking the dress code I immediately think the rest…simply a thought on reflecting on the subject. It’s easier to never break any of life’s bigger rules if we are diligent in trying to not break any of its little rules.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
No. I simply shrug and accept that some folks sometimes do whatever suits themselves best - that’s life.

ETA…In fact it’s not really that when I see someone breaking the dress code I immediately think the rest…simply a thought on reflecting on the subject. It’s easier to never break any of life’s bigger rules if we are diligent in trying to not break any of its little rules.
After 3 years on this forum you are absolutely the last person I thought would make a judgement on somebody's character based entirely on their appearance. Especially in the context of something so existentially trivial as clothing choice for participating in recreational sport.
But I'm not going to judge you for it. 😘