• Nope

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Yes - but if too strict don’t play

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That’s the working way of a members club and it will be within the constitution etc

There will be some things that the “committee” can deal with and make changes etc

And there will be some things that need to be decided at an AGM etc

Yeah I get the workings of committee/agm etc

I said it may be a problem with golf clubs because whether a shirt is tucked in or not/hat worn indoors etc appears to sit so highly as a priority within some clubs that it actually requires such a regimented process to manage change. But behavioural things like what topics players discuss in a clubhouse, at what volume of speech with what colourful language, how much alcohol to drink etc, is pretty much managed onsite case by case in real-time.

I don’t recall seeing clubs having a conduct code on their website about loud or sweary language or unsuitable topics for the dinning room. It is pretty much left to players to self police (& for the most part they probably do ok) yet to some clubs its inconceivable to permit self policing on suitable attire and it really really really matters to some whether a shirt is tucked or not, requiring formal agm submission and voting to adopt change

Just sounds a bit of a misplaced priority

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Played a society day a couple of months ago
One of our number (not me) was given a talking to for having the wrong socks
I pointed out that there was no mention of socks in the dress code section of their website, so how were we to know

The members know, was the answer

How can they expect visitors to know if it’s not in the club info 🙄

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Yeah I get the workings of committee/agm etc

I said it may be a problem with golf clubs because whether a shirt is tucked in or not/hat worn indoors etc appears to sit so highly as a priority within some clubs that it actually requires such a regimented process to manage change. But behavioural things like what topics players discuss in a clubhouse, at what volume of speech with what colourful language, how much alcohol to drink etc, is pretty much managed onsite case by case in real-time.

I don’t recall seeing clubs having a conduct code on their website about loud or sweary language or unsuitable topics for the dinning room. It is pretty much left to players to self police (& for the most part they probably do ok) yet to some clubs its inconceivable to permit self policing on suitable attire and it really really really matters to some whether a shirt is tucked or not, requiring formal agm submission and voting to adopt change

Just sounds a bit of a misplaced priority

We have a code of conduct within our bar area and it’s published for all the members to see

As part of clubs affliation and clubs first etc they are all required to have code of conducts and safe guarding etc

Those documents also required sign off from the members as well

As for what’s priority or not - i suspect behaviour is high on every clubs list

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played a society day a couple of months ago
One of our number (not me) was given a talking to for having the wrong socks
I pointed out that there was no mention of socks in the dress code section of their website, so how were we to know

The members know, was the answer

How can they expect visitors to know if it’s not in the club info 🙄

Any player intending to visit an away course without first requesting agm minutes from last 5 years only has themselves to blame if they get picked up for something :p

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We have a code of conduct within our bar area and it’s published for all the members to see

As part of clubs affliation and clubs first etc they are all required to have code of conducts and safe guarding etc

Those documents also required sign off from the members as well

As for what’s priority or not - i suspect behaviour is high on every clubs list

Hmm well in that case, if there’s a portion of players that need to be told how to behave its maybe no surprise they need to be told how to dress ;)

PaulMdj

Visit site
Hmm well in that case, if there’s a portion of players that need to be told how to behave its maybe no surprise they need to be told how to dress ;)
To access England Golf for grants to help with Junior Golf or getting Women in to Golf as well as being affiliated to them etc you have to meet certain criteria and part of that criteria are Club documents/policies that cover those areas and how the Club will deal with anyone failing to comply.

All under the banner of Safeguarding and attaining “SafeGolf” accreditation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I see a player flouting or otherwise disrespecting a club’s stated dress code why then should I think that that same player will respect the course; the rules; and other players. What I see is a person who only cares about himself; what he thinks, and what he wants to do.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes it's just a small step from untucked shirt to serial cheater
It’s a state of mind - and as it happens it’s the same sort of mindset that was the key driver behind the extended duration of debate around HNSP way back in 2013/14 (see elsewhere on the forum for debate on HNSP).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I see a player flouting or otherwise disrespecting a club’s stated dress code why then should I think that that same player will respect the course; the rules; and other players. What I see is a person who only cares about himself; what he thinks, and what he wants to do.
Why do we then see courses full of people following dress codes yet still have un-replaced divots, pitch marks not repaired and bunkers not raked? I'm confused?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
That’s it I’m going to H4H next year, I’m missing out on too much. First thing in the case, ripped jeans obviously 🤣
Do that, and you will never get architecture and interior design advice from me ever again! 🤣

3 jabber

Visit site
Fashion - always a subjective call , what one person believes is smart is different for others

Ripped jeans are fashion and certainly current and many see them as smart

and some of them are very very expensive

It’s simple for me - as long as it’s clean then I don’t really care
The line in bold sums it up really. Some people think ripped jeans etc are acceptable, others don't. This is the reason why clubs have to have dress codes.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We say the same things over and over again about dress codes on here.
But it is all very simple. And has been very simple for a long time.

1. You take your tie off to play golf.
2. You put it back on together with a jacket when you go in the clubhouse.
3. Change into long trousers, if necessary.

It really is as simple as that.

suitable golfing attire.jpg