Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you're using your experience to tar all golf clubs with the same brush?
No I'm using my experience at all the local clubs to me and a handful of others to tar the rest of them. Trouble is with golf club is its full of golfers!!!!!

D-S

Visit site
Is there a logic behind shirts being acceptable being untucked in the Clubhouse, even in smart casual environments (i.e. no jeans etc.), but not acceptable on the course. I am puzzled about the rationale, does something become less acceptable in an outdoor environment but rendered ok indoors?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is there a logic behind shirts being acceptable being untucked in the Clubhouse, even in smart casual environments (i.e. no jeans etc.), but not acceptable on the course. I am puzzled about the rationale, does something become less acceptable in an outdoor environment but rendered ok indoors?

Indeed, you'd think it should be the other way round.

sunshine

Visit site
I played yesterday wearing an England football shirt (untucked ?). My playing partner was wearing black socks with shorts. At a top 100 private member’s club. Nobody was harmed, the course seemed to cope, my divots were no larger than usual, I raked the bunker I went in. Neither of us has a pink Mohican.

Why is this an issue for some people?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I played yesterday wearing an England football shirt (untucked ?). My playing partner was wearing black socks with shorts. At a top 100 private member’s club. Nobody was harmed, the course seemed to cope, my divots were no larger than usual, I raked the bunker I went in. Neither of us has a pink Mohican.

Why is this an issue for some people?

Having read this thread I play 9 on Thursday in a T-shirt with no collar just for the hell of it. Said hello to a few people and no one seemed to bat an eyelid.

There was a senior major on that day so the captain and many of the committee were sat having a drink. The course was in a poor state. Multiple pitch marks left on the greens, bunkers not raked, tee markers knocked over and markers/ropes knocked over.

If anyone had said anything about my dress they were getting both barrels about the state of the course.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Having read this thread I play 9 on Thursday in a T-shirt with no collar just for the hell of it. Said hello to a few people and no one seemed to bat an eyelid.

There was a senior major on that day so the captain and many of the committee were sat having a drink. The course was in a poor state. Multiple pitch marks left on the greens, bunkers not raked, tee markers knocked over and markers/ropes knocked over.

If anyone had said anything about my dress they were getting both barrels about the state of the course.

I was in the practice area yesterday and after I was done I thought I'd play a few holes , trouble was I was wearing cargo shorts and a t shirt ? I thought what the hell and played a anyway ? I can report no one died and the course is still open.
Looks like we're living the thug life .

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was in the practice area yesterday and after I was done I thought I'd play a few holes , trouble was I was wearing cargo shorts and a t shirt ? I thought what the hell and played a anyway ? I can report no one died and the course is still open.
Looks like we're living the thug life .
Wait! You are allowed on your practice area without correct golf wear?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is a logic of sorts probably. Not tucking it in on the course makes you look like a poor person, or lower class football player, or common athlete, rather than a gentleman playing golf. And that offends some people and their sense of their status and that of their club.
Untucked in the clubhouse is presumably to allow (usually the more weighty) some to wear a tailored buttoned shirt untucked, which is not considered unstylish.
But at the end, we are talking about style, which has no logic. Once you venture into the irrational realm of dress codes, nothing makes sense objectively.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The tucking in of shirts is one I find particularly ridiculous. Most of my polos are not long enough to stay tucked in, and I have more freedom of movement and coolness from the heat with them out. It's grown men being treated like schoolchildren.
Sorry Orikoru, this isn't really relevant to your post, just wasn't sure where to share this odd picture ?

aviary-image-1663996745405.jpeg
Probably be a caption competition...

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry Orikoru, this isn't really relevant to your post, just wasn't sure where to share this odd picture ?

View attachment 44461
Probably be a caption competition...
He is an absolute disgrace, and should be thrown off the property. I find it really offensive. Nobody wants to see that, and it shows a selfishness, and disregard for others and common decency. And on television. I am sure the sponsors are incensed. Maybe Americans tolerate it, but it certainly would not only be unacceptable in my club, I think anyone showing doing that would be permanently expelled.

Edit: surely he possesses at least one polo shirt with a collar, and could have left the tee shirt at home, never mind the Bombay Saphire ?

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
He is an absolute disgrace, and should be thrown off the property. I find it really offensive. Nobody wants to see that, and it shows a selfishness, and disregard for others and common decency. And on television. I am sure the sponsors are incensed. Maybe Americans tolerate it, but it certainly would not only be unacceptable in my club, I think anyone showing doing that would be permanently expelled.

Edit: surely he possesses at least one polo shirt with a colour, and could have left the tee shirt at home, never mind the Bombay Saphire ?
I know. That red USA flag polo shirt is so garish. But what about the fat guy with his gut on show?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I find dress codes laughable. On one hand it's totally acceptable to wear clothing that was borrowed from Krusty the clown and the other to have a meltdown over a pair of jeans or a hoodie.

When I was at the open last year I saw Mickelson on practice days wearing shorts, an untucked shirt and low cut socks at RSG and the world didn't stop spinning nor did any of the dress code Nazis bowling up and demanding blood.

Golf is a sport, I agree that you should wear golf suitable clothing - I wouldn't wear jeans playing football or my dress shoes for a rugby match, but honestly what exactly is the difference between a crew neck and button collar in terms of golf? Personally I've seen well dressed people act like yobs and seen people in jeans and hoodies act like gentlemen. The wrapper isn't indicative of the filling.

Finally, I bet any money that if you went back 60 years and wore a pair of Footjoy Pro SL and a baseball cap golf clubs would throw you out.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yes, 50 years ago you would probably be correct. Times change.

Personal view of mine is to not make myself stand out, in either direction.

I wouldn't turn up at Rye looking like I was attending a football match. I also wouldn't turn up at Aberdare, head to toe in Hugo Boss either.

I guess the bloke with his gut on show would explain himself saying he dresses as he likes and it isn't indicative of his behaviour!

Last edited: