Dress Codes

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why do people join a club pay good money to do so and then moan about the rules?my club has a strict dress code but has eased a bit over the years,after 7pm we had to wear a blazer and shirt and club tie to go into the lounge but it is more forgiving now as for denim NO!!!! if you want to wear denim, football shirts ,combat pants etc there is a place for that the local muni,you can play along with the 5 balls or the 4 ball one bag brigade you pays your money and gets your choice,i play at my club because they have rules of dress code and etiquette i knew that when i joined no problem,as for cost of clothes i don't care if the denim cost £100 or £5 it is still denim .

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why do people join a club pay good money to do so and then moan about the rules?

I agree.
If your club has a dress code and you don't follow it, how on earth can anyone complain if someone pulls you up on it?
Surely if you can afford designer jeans, then a pair of smart trousers and a nice polo shirt shouldn't be beyond your budget?
I mean "How hard can it be?" :mad:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We are a private club, very very friendly, and as well as being beautiful (but very short) i pay my fees year after year because it is so friendly.

Dont put yourself down so much, you're not that short. I do however have to question whether you are beautiful or not :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I agree.
If your club has a dress code and you don't follow it, how on earth can anyone complain if someone pulls you up on it?
Surely if you can afford designer jeans, then a pair of smart trousers and a nice polo shirt shouldn't be beyond your budget?

This is the man that pulled Cooden up on the dress codes posten on their website!!
:p

Mary

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't seriously believe that people are suggesting that somebody's non-golfing wife should purchase a polo shirt and appropriate trousers just so that they can enter the clubhouse to meet their husband.

We have the standard dress code for on the course, which I fully endorse. But, as far as I am aware there is not a dress code for the driving range or the spikes bar. Yes, you sometimes see people in jeans, but they do still look smart/casual, and their behaviour is fine. I have occassionaly witnessed boorish behaviour, and it's always been some loud mouth type, who IS decked out in the correct clobber!

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
We relaxed our dress code about 3/4 years ago. Most players wear smart golf gear on the course, some don't. Literally one or two wear jeans, considerably more wear scruffy £9.99 a pair cotton chinos. In the club considerably more wear jeans and other casual wear. Quite a few still wear a shirt and tie most of the time. We also have no restriction on mobile phones, shorts are allowed without any measuring being required and we have a thriving, friendly atmosphere in the clubhouse at all times which everyone testifies is one of the best parts about our club, including all the visiting teams etc.

It comes down to what the members want at the end of the day (not the committee) and I would always respect the rules of any club I visit and their right to make them. To date, nobody has died because of the rules changing at our place. Not all, but the MAJORITY of our members are more than happy with the current arrangements which is I think the key point. Many clubs are going down this road because like it or not, the world is changing. We are in the competition game and I'd say that all but the elite clubs will be very similar within 20 years. One of the problems may be that far too many clubs think they are something they are not. They will change or go under.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I find it just a little bit condescending when posts read "my club has a strict dress code blah blah blah but if you want to dress less formally there is always the muni" I am at a private members club with a strictish (?) dress code but to suggest the only clubs who would relax the code down to cargo's and flip flops is the local muni is very wide of the mark and, as I say, in my view, condescending. I understand, but stand corrected, that the clubhouse at St Andrews allows denim

Chris

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree.

I agree with Bob. I just observe the rules of the clubs I play, and don't waste my time moaning about them.

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
Dress codes are probably the thing I hate most about golf. Yes I look smart on the course and I don't mind the more expensive courses insisting on shoes in clubhouse. However this is 2011 not 1960. I wouldn't join a club with stuffy rules over sock length with shorts or tie and blazer after seven as long as there was a choice locally. Jeans can be smart and blanket bans are ridiculous. Most won't wear them but I often wear them to the range and then at the last minute played 9.

If I owned a course, euro lottery allowing, I would ban clothes with offence logos and snobs. Just remember when the older generation stop playing clubs will need subs from young new members. I would be stricter however, on those not repairing divots and pitch marks. The latter is really bugging me of late.

I asked my last club what was the rules in the clubhouse regarding shorts they told me I had to wear shoes with white socks to my knee, at 30 i'd look like an idiot. My response was simple. I'll go to the pub for lunch round the corner. Funny the bar was losing money hand over fist.

Wear what u want it is my swing and people's behaviours that effects my enjoyment.

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
RUBBISH!!!! WELSHJIM most of the juniors or 20 somethings are driven by what ever pro is flavour of the month and dress accordingly remember when poulter broke into the big time every young lad doned similar outfits i think most young lads would sooner look like RICKY FOWLER than an extra from BROKE BACK MOUNTAIN.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surely it should be about how someone behaves rather than what they wear?

Obviously if I were to play at a club I'd respect their code, but seriously, what is the difference between a pair of shorts with pockets on the side and the same pair without pockets? Trousers for that matter too! There is no difference, except the ones with pockets on the side are more handy for playing golf!

Some dress codes that Ive heard on here are ridiculous.