Dress codes

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Has anyone played anywhere in recent times where old school dress code was enforced?

Most club websites have dress code pages, although these days most caveat with ‘or any apparel available in the pro shop’. My theory is that all bets were off once Tiger started wearing round neck T’s, twenty odd years back.

On a related note, I don’t have much time for LIV, but playing in shorts seem so much more natural in hot climates.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our dress code is pretty relaxed now, not least because the likes of Underarmour, I am told, now manufacture golf joggers. I used to be a stickler for seeing dress codes enforced, but am now quite relaxed about it - on course behaviour is more important.

As for shorts in Tour? Long, long overdue. My wife, not a golfer I stress, cannot fathom why lady golfers can wear the briefest of shorts when men cannot wear tailored golf shorts, although the move towards allowing it in extreme heat is a huge step in the right direction.

Anyway, I’m off to the corner shop for a bag of popcorn. This thread could get feisty 😎

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
giphy.gif

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We don't have a dress code.
I've been to a couple of places with jacket and tie codes within the last six months. Both perfectly hospitable.
My legs should not be on public display.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Best gaffs I've been to in the lat 12 months are Hillside and Hoylake, and there didn't appear to be any over zealous dress codes at either - plenty of casual golf clothing available now that is sensibly stylish for us not to have to worry about getting 'dressed up' to go for a round.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
There's no need to sweat about it ... there's a massive diversity of golf courses from the very expensive to the very cheap. From the very old school, to those where you'll see trackies and footy shirts.

I'm old school and like to respect my hosts. I'll conform to posh if necessary, or I'll be more relaxed if playing somewhere less formal.

Equally, I never played cricket in my football kit!😉

Last edited:

Red devil

Visit site
Best gaffs I've been to in the lat 12 months are Hillside and Hoylake, and there didn't appear to be any over zealous dress codes at either - plenty of casual golf clothing available now that is sensibly stylish for us not to have to worry about getting 'dressed up' to go for a round.
Of course not Mel, it's the NW. No Gauleiters up here.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I believe the dress code of my club is misleading. Here it is in its entirety, as it appears on the website.

We take a common sense approach towards our dress code. We ask that smart casual dress is worn in the clubhouse which can include jeans and t-shirts.
On course, tailored shorts and socks are permitted but denim jeans/shorts, collarless/football shirts, jogging wear and workwear is not permitted.

Golf joggers are for sale in the pro-shop and the wording on the website implies there are no gender-specific rules in the dress code, but in practice there are.
I think the website wording is to be taken as a guidelines-summary only.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
OP talking specifically on-course attire I think but an experience at Swinley Forest (yes, lucky me) had me scratching my head. Dining Room rule is “jacket required”. No problem except it was really warm in there that day and without thinking, I removed mine. After a polite ticking off, putting it back on and sweating through my fine lunch I thought to myself, there’s no restaurant in the land that I would re-visit if I had to remain jacketed in such a warm room.

But it’s easy to forego visiting a favourite restaurant, a chance to play at one of the finest courses, not so much. The traditionalists have us over a barrel 🤣

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had to go to the website to see it but ours is quite brief :

Dress Code:
On the Golf Course and Practice area - All players should wear polo shirt, tailored pants/shorts, soft spike golf shoes and socks

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
OP talking specifically on-course attire I think but an experience at Swinley Forest (yes, lucky me) had me scratching my head. Dining Room rule is “jacket required”. No problem except it was really warm in there that day and without thinking, I removed mine. After a polite ticking off, putting it back on and sweating through my fine lunch I thought to myself, there’s no restaurant in the land that I would re-visit if I had to remain jacketed in such a warm room.

But it’s easy to forego visiting a favourite restaurant, a chance to play at one of the finest courses, not so much. The traditionalists have us over a barrel 🤣
Even Sunningdale let us remove jackets on a blistering hot day

Swango1980

Visit site
Not seen anything enforced, but not really seen any controversial attire at my current club. That being said, there is one chap in his 50's that regularly turns up dressed as if he is about to perform for East 17. Dressed all in white, white hoody with zip half down, t shirt that shows off upper half of his chest and gold necklace.

At my last place, very relaxed, despite a dress code shown at front door. Once saw two overweight guys walking down the 13th fairway topless

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect an awful lot of clubs have a historical dress code on their websites simply because it is not important enough to them to change it. It is there but not necessarily enforced.

There are some that still will enforce a code, strictly as well. Each to their own.

D

Deleted member 29109

It does amuse me that and adult would sit eating with a jacket on, in the middle of summer while sweating and being uncomfortable for fear of being ’told off’ if they removed it.

Do you put your hand up to ask for permission to go to the toilet too?

Especially if the person doing the telling off was some pompous idio, drunk on their imaginary power as a golf club official 🤣.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It does amuse me that and adult would sit eating with a jacket on, in the middle of summer while sweating and being uncomfortable for fear of being ’told off’ if they removed it.

Do you put your hand up to ask for permission to go to the toilet too?

Especially if the person doing the telling off was some pompous idio, drunk on their imaginary power as a golf club official 🤣.
We Brits are conformists though 🤷‍♀️ . I was in that situation last year though. Hottest day of the year, invited guest at a club, jacket and tie required afterwards. All men in a room red faced and sweating, ridiculous. I have no doubt that had anyone refused they would have been asked to leave, they were a very strict dress code club, old school. I sucked it up, lovely course and smashing company, but the pomposity of this situation was ridiculous. I showed them though, I got changed into shorts and t-shirt in the car park for the journey home. Absolute rebel 😂

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had to go to the website to see it but ours is quite brief :

Dress Code:
On the Golf Course and Practice area - All players should wear polo shirt, tailored pants/shorts, soft spike golf shoes and socks

Replying to my own post here

I'm sure I've posted this before but I found what must be one of, if not, the briefest golf dress codes

Dress Code
Golfers should wear attire appropriate to the sport and clothing should not be scruffy or torn. The dress code in the clubhouses is smart/casual.

Guess where?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
My first club asked a woman to leave the clubhouse as she had jeans on, she’d played for the women’s team of another club just before and they didn’t blink when she was on the first tee.
IIRC they were more dark blue/denim coloured tight fitting trousers rather than actual jeans. Regardless though we thought it was poor form.

Swango1980

Visit site
I started playing "properly" in 2005. Played for club league side. There was a meal after every game, and players had to wear jacket and tie at every game. It was horrible. After some games, in high temperatures or wet conditions, having to get dressed up afterwards. And then that thing of having to keep your jacket on, until the Captain of the home side took their jacket off. Often they didn't, probably because they thought it was proper to wear a jacket, or they loved showing off the club emblem with Captain on it?

Thankfully, I guess around 2010 and onwards, clubs started being sensible and abandoned the need to wear jacket and tie. Wearing your golf gear and having a nice social bite to eat was all that was needed. Some clubs hung on for a while with a jacket and tie, but they became more and more old fashioned until it became a bit embarrassing for them really.