Dress codes

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I started playing "properly" in 2005. Played for club league side. There was a meal after every game, and players had to wear jacket and tie at every game. It was horrible. After some games, in high temperatures or wet conditions, having to get dressed up afterwards. And then that thing of having to keep your jacket on, until the Captain of the home side took their jacket off. Often they didn't, probably because they thought it was proper to wear a jacket, or they loved showing off the club emblem with Captain on it?

Thankfully, I guess around 2010 and onwards, clubs started being sensible and abandoned the need to wear jacket and tie. Wearing your golf gear and having a nice social bite to eat was all that was needed. Some clubs hung on for a while with a jacket and tie, but they became more and more old fashioned until it became a bit embarrassing for them really.

I play a lot of comps with lunch afterwards (shotgun starts) ppl would point and stare at someone with J&T (even long trousers might earn a sideways glance/double take)

Shorts, polo's, t-shirts even flip flops are the order of the day. Its too dam hot to set any other dress code but I do know beachwear is not permitted

Swango1980

Visit site
anyone not tucking their shirt in should be taken aside and shot
That almost happened to me in one of my first away matches, at Immingham (hardly the most prestigious of courses), in 2006.

I was on the practice putting green just minding my own business. Their Captain then approached me, and told me in no uncertain terms to tuck my shirt in. I was taken by surprise. In all honesty, I do tuck my shirt in anyway, but it had just become a bit loose at that moment and so was not perfectly tucked in to his liking.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I once told ex footballer Alan Brazil that his knee length red socks were not appropriate attire for the clubhouse. I maintained a straight face long enough for him to think I was serious.

I remember at Royal St. Georges the steward overseeing our post round dinner, politely asking one of our number to put his jacket on to eat dinner. When our Millwall supporting (and if you conjure up a preconceived idea of what your typical Millwall fan might look like then you will be pretty much spot on) member (who had hung his jacket on the back of his chair) turned round to him and said something like "leave it aaht mate, its bleedin' bolin' in 'ere" the steward smiled politely, looked him square in the eyes and said "gentlemen wear their jackets at the dinner table sir" and helped him into his jacket.

D

Deleted member 29109

I started playing "properly" in 2005. Played for club league side. There was a meal after every game, and players had to wear jacket and tie at every game. It was horrible. After some games, in high temperatures or wet conditions, having to get dressed up afterwards. And then that thing of having to keep your jacket on, until the Captain of the home side took their jacket off. Often they didn't, probably because they thought it was proper to wear a jacket, or they loved showing off the club emblem with Captain on it?

Thankfully, I guess around 2010 and onwards, clubs started being sensible and abandoned the need to wear jacket and tie. Wearing your golf gear and having a nice social bite to eat was all that was needed. Some clubs hung on for a while with a jacket and tie, but they became more and more old fashioned until it became a bit embarrassing for them really.
It’s not because they think it’s proper. It’s simply a result of someone with a fragile ego having a little power trip to make themselves feel important.

Same as telling someone to tuck their shirt in.

D

Deleted member 29109

Because the other things you mention are about looking after the course and impacting on how long it takes to get round.

Me tucking a shirt in, it having a collar or wearing a jacket in the dining room have absolutely no impact on you playing golf.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
That almost happened to me in one of my first away matches, at Immingham (hardly the most prestigious of courses), in 2006.

I was on the practice putting green just minding my own business. Their Captain then approached me, and told me in no uncertain terms to tuck my shirt in. I was taken by surprise. In all honesty, I do tuck my shirt in anyway, but it had just become a bit loose at that moment and so was not perfectly tucked in to his liking.
i had a golf day at Croham Hurst years ago and after being stuck in traffic on probably the hottest day of the year, i got out of the car with my shirt untucked.

i was told in no uncertain terms by a guy i knew that "at this course we wear our shirts tucked in."

my comment was along the lines of "for fcuks sake, i've just got out the car after a 90 drive is sweltering heat so let me cool down and i'll tuck my fcuking shirt in."

we ended up in the same group that round

Swango1980

Visit site
i had a golf day at Croham Hurst years ago and after being stuck in traffic on probably the hottest day of the year, i got out of the car with my shirt untucked.

i was told in no uncertain terms by a guy i knew that "at this course we wear our shirts tucked in."

my comment was along the lines of "for fcuks sake, i've just got out the car after a 90 drive is sweltering heat so let me cool down and i'll tuck my fcuking shirt in."

we ended up in the same group that round
I bet some people struggle to tuck their shirt in, physically.

I played a round of golf with a work client at his course. Arrived, got out of the car and started to put my golf shoes on. He sheepishly and apologetically approached me, and told me that I need to put my shoes on in the changing room. He said he didn't mind, but if other members at the club saw me changing my shoes in the car park. all hell would break loose.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I bet some people struggle to tuck their shirt in, physically.

I played a round of golf with a work client at his course. Arrived, got out of the car and started to put my golf shoes on. He sheepishly and apologetically approached me, and told me that I need to put my shoes on in the changing room. He said he didn't mind, but if other members at the club saw me changing my shoes in the car park. all hell would break loose.

I played a course in the UK last year as a guest, wore my spikeless UA’s, didn’t have a change with me. Guy that was hosting me said we’ll get a bacon roll/coffee before we play. I saw a sign at main door said something like ‘absolutely no golf shoes in clubhouse’ but I risked it…

I mean I’m fastidious with my golf shoes to the point they’d be cleaner that some ppl’s dress shoes and since I’d flown internationally I even washed the soles to get rid of slightest soil/grass, so they were minted
I still sat there cacking it that I’d be dragged off into a cupboard & beaten if someone noticed

Swango1980

Visit site
I played a course in the UK last year as a guest, wore my spikeless UA’s, didn’t have a change with me. Guy that was hosting me said we’ll get a bacon roll/coffee before we play. I saw a sign at main door said something like ‘absolutely no golf shoes in clubhouse’ but I risked it…

I mean I’m fastidious with my golf shoes to the point they’d be cleaner that some ppl’s dress shoes and since I’d flown internationally I even washed the soles to get rid of slightest soil/grass, so they were minted
I still sat there cacking it that I’d be dragged off into a cupboard & beaten if someone noticed
I went to Woodhall Spa once and said no golf shoes in the bar. So i took them off and went in in my socks.

That didn't go down well. To be fair, looking back at it, that was probably a step too far. My home club was absolutely fine with stuff like that, so I thought nothing of it.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
It does amuse me that and adult would sit eating with a jacket on, in the middle of summer while sweating and being uncomfortable for fear of being ’told off’ if they removed it.
Pleased to amuse you.

Do you put your hand up to ask for permission to go to the toilet too?

No.
Especially if the person doing the telling off was some pompous idio, drunk on their imaginary power as a golf club official 🤣.

It was a busy waitress, looking embarrassed having to do it. She was following a job requirement. I was showing respect for the traditions of the golf club at which I was a visitor.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I went to Woodhall Spa once and said no golf shoes in the bar. So i took them off and went in in my socks.

That didn't go down well. To be fair, looking back at it, that was probably a step too far. My home club was absolutely fine with stuff like that, so I thought nothing of it.

For all know that sign could've been there 30+years and no one pays it any mind since spikeless came along... ate my bacon roll fast though 😋

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For all know that sign could've been there 30+years and no one pays it any mind since spikeless came along... ate my bacon roll fast though 😋
The shoes restriction really doesn't account for spikeless. I'd alter the comment to 'clean, non spiked, shoes allowed' in the bar so, hopefully, pre round you can go in but post round, if the are muddy or have grass stuck to them you have to change. That seems fair, and respectable, to me.

D

Deleted member 29109

It was a busy waitress, looking embarrassed having to do it. She was following a job requirement. I was showing respect for the traditions of the golf club at which I was a visitor.
The busy waitress was the messenger. It will still have been a pompous idiot insisting silly rules are followed.