Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I dont think its the full story. Law has to have a solid basis, clarity, and equity, to be respected. Not dropping a ball in the rough when no one is looking, or toeing a sand shot on to a nice tee, pose no problem.
But the dress issue does. Particulary when the woolly arguments like 'tradition', 'standards', and worst of all 'well, they are the rules' are the best that seem to be mustered. They are not answers at all. Nobody is arguing at an AGM for Mulligans, or no penalty shots for out of bounds. But a better explanation from supporters of, or committees maintaining such dress codes/rules, other than 'thats always been the way here at Backwards GC', should be offered.
If the members at my club truly felt that our dress code was so outdated to be absurd and a block to new members joining and the cause of others leaving then we’d have a motion raised at our AGM requesting a change to the code. In the near 19 years that I have been a member at my current club there has been no such motion raised and neither can I recall any in the 12yrs at my previous club.

That said, to address the point of the thread, my current club aims to be traditional yet forward thinking in its attitudes and so we (as we are a members club) have recognised changes in golf attire being offered by the golf sports brands and have, to a large extent, evolved and aligned our dress code with what’s on offer. But what is worn should be worn as intended by design, which does in general mean golf shirts being tucked in and hence there being a bit of a grey area.

I recognise that grey area and can accept the intent of the code and as a member simply choose to avoid unnecessary confrontation by staying the traditional side of the code. It’s not difficult and it’s absolutely not a big deal, in fact it’s no deal whatsoever for me to make that choice. ?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have to hope that car park has clamping rules. I'm guessing the person doesn't care about a fine, cheaper than a respray for a door.......

As to your point. The car driver is inconveniencing other people. Wearing a shirt without a collar, or cargo shorts instead of tailored shorts has no material impact on anyone else.
Just what I was going to say. Untucking one's shirt or wearing blue socks is a 'victimless crime' shall we say.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the members at my club truly felt that our dress code was so outdated to be absurd and a block to new members joining and the cause of others leaving then we’d have a motion raised at our AGM requesting a change to the code. In the near 19 years that I have been a member at my current club there has been no such motion raised and neither can I recall any in the 12yrs at my previous club.

That said, to address the point of the thread, my current club aims to be traditional yet forward thinking in its attitudes and so we (as we are a members club) have recognised changes in golf attire being offered by the golf sports brands and have, to a large extent, evolved and aligned our dress code with what’s on offer. But what is worn should be worn as intended by design, which does in general mean golf shirts being tucked in and hence there being a bit of a grey area.

I recognise that grey area and can accept the intent of the code and as a member simply choose to avoid unnecessary confrontation by staying the traditional side of the code. It’s not difficult and it’s absolutely not a big deal, in fact it’s no deal whatsoever for me to make that choice. ?
My suggested explanation for the existence of dress codes doesn't preclude there being clubs where the snobbery root to it is unanimous, and hence, entirely uncontroversial.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

But the only people on committees and boards are old retired men. The only people that turn up to agm are old retired men. We had to ask permission (pre approval) of any questions we wanted to ask at the agm. My question regarding a booking system and dress code where stricken. I'll take my money else where thank you.

The only way to break the cycle is to vote for someone who is willing to drive a change. Good luck him getting any votes when all of the blazer brigade closing ranks whilst they sit in the club house playing dominos?.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
But the only people on committees and boards are old retired men. The only people that turn up to agm are old retired men. We had to ask permission (pre approval) of any questions we wanted to ask at the agm. My question regarding a booking and dress code where stricken. I'll take my money else where thank you.

The only way to break the cycle is to vote for someone who is willing to drive a change. Good luck him getting any votes when all of the blazer brigade closing ranks whilst they sit in the club house playing dominos?.

Totally agree. A previous committee moved meetings to Wednesday afternoon right after the roll up (that you have to be invited to play in and is attended by the great and the good of the club) finished. No way any person of working age could attend.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
But the only people on committees and boards are old retired men. The only people that turn up to agm are old retired men. We had to ask permission (pre approval) of any questions we wanted to ask at the agm. My question regarding a booking and dress code where stricken. I'll take my money else where thank you.

I joined my old club committee when I was in my early 20s. I was fed up with the ‘old boys club’ atmosphere and being told I couldn’t wear my Tiger T-shirts. So I threw my name in the hat and got voted in at the AGM. There were a few raised eyebrows that evening.

Within a couple of years most of the old boys club had been removed and replaced by people capable of running the club as required. The clubhouse and course quickly started to improve thereafter.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
But the only people on committees and boards are old retired men. The only people that turn up to agm are old retired men. We had to ask permission (pre approval) of any questions we wanted to ask at the agm. My question regarding a booking system and dress code where stricken. I'll take my money else where thank you.

The above has so many preconceptions and incorrect assumptions, I find it actually sad to believe somene thinks it is still like that at every club.
Our committee and board has very few retired old men on it. Most are young to middle age and still working. Also, at the AGM, we have a mix of ages, and people can ask questions at the AGM. They don't have to get them pre-approved.
At our club, nobody wears a blazer and dominos isn't played.
These are the kind of assumptions I would expect from someone who doesn't play golf, and isn't a member of a club.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The above has so many preconceptions and incorrect assumptions, I find it actually sad to believe somene thinks it is still like that at every club.
Our committee and board has very few retired old men on it. Most are young to middle age and still working. Also, at the AGM, we have a mix of ages, and people can ask questions at the AGM. They don't have to get them pre-approved.
These are the kind of assumptions I would expect from someone who doesn't play golf, and isn't a member of a club.

Sadly this is a reality for many and not just trotting out golfin stereotypes. At my previous club, AGM questions needed to be pre-approved and the last meeting I went to was just an embarassing outburst of virtriol between those who wanted to make golf more affordable and promote the club as a community facility and those who wanted to bump up the fees and reduce the membership levels to keep out the riff raff.

Sadly many of us to not have a plethora of good, forward thinking courses in the area to choose from

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everyone wears a blazer (with club logo) at my place. They are all old and all play dominos or Bridge. Looks like my decision to leave was a good one. Unfortunately the clubs within my area seem the same. I visited and played Redditch Golf club last week. Have to say it was a breath of fresh air

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s far from the case at our club -half our committee is under 40 with two under 30

Not every club is the same and many have made a lot of strides going forward to remove the perception of the “blazer boys”

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just got another email illustrating what I'm talking about:

puma_golf.PNG
Again manufacturers are trying to push regular t-shirts as golf wear - so clubs that have modified their dress code to include "anything sold as golf clothing" would be pressed into allowing these now? I can't imagine many clubs are allowing this sort of shirt at the moment. Just weird to me that manufacturers have really started pushing t-shirts as golf wear recently when so few clubs must allow it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a great point. I have not played abroad. Are there dress codes in France, Spain, Portugal, US etc?

I would guess as well that it may be cheaper to produce than a polo shirt but I would be willing to bet that it does not cost significantly less at retail. Plus, any standard T-Shirt production can be applied across a range of sports whereas polo shirts are unique to only a few. I suspect that is why the golf footwear offerings from multi sport companies look more like their trainers and boots.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I just got another email illustrating what I'm talking about:

View attachment 43689
Again manufacturers are trying to push regular t-shirts as golf wear - so clubs that have modified their dress code to include "anything sold as golf clothing" would be pressed into allowing these now? I can't imagine many clubs are allowing this sort of shirt at the moment. Just weird to me that manufacturers have really started pushing t-shirts as golf wear recently when so few clubs must allow it.
I really like that this is happening.
Showing up the stuffy golf clubs with outdated dress codes.
At the moment I could tuck this M&S pyjama top into some conforming shorts and be acceptable with regard to my club's dress code.
M&S pyjamas.jpg
Just shows what nonsense most dress codes are.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Not true of us, in fact the vast majority of our Board and Committees are still working and we - shock horror - have a lady member on our Board as well as others on various committees - our lady board member recently two weeks ago re-elected onto it. And we have very active and involved lady and younger members.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Everyone wears a blazer (with club logo) at my place. They are all old and all play dominos or Bridge. Looks like my decision to leave was a good one. Unfortunately the clubs within my area seem the same. I visited and played Redditch Golf club last week. Have to say it was a breath of fresh air
So you're using your experience to tar all golf clubs with the same brush?