is this normal? dress code question

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I turned up at a certain golf club a few days back as I heard they had a good sale on. whilst I was perusing two guys walked in (non members) paid for their round and upon walking out one of them said "hold on, they've got that ping jumper I've been looking for". the guy removed his scalf and galvin green jacket. he was left wearing a plain black collarless t-shirt. the pro said he couldn't play as he wasn't wearing the correct cloths. the guy simply replied " it's freezing outside, this galvin jacket is not coming off I can promise you that. if for some bizarre reason it should heat up 10 degrees i accept I'm stuck wearing this jacket"
the pro was having non of it and refunded their green fee. thoughts?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I turned up at a certain golf club a few days back as I heard they had a good sale on. whilst I was perusing two guys walked in (non members) paid for their round and upon walking out one of them said "hold on, they've got that ping jumper I've been looking for". the guy removed his scalf and galvin green jacket. he was left wearing a plain black collarless t-shirt. the pro said he couldn't play as he wasn't wearing the correct cloths. the guy simply replied " it's freezing outside, this galvin jacket is not coming off I can promise you that. if for some bizarre reason it should heat up 10 degrees i accept I'm stuck wearing this jacket"
the pro was having non of it and refunded their green fee. thoughts?

club clearly doesnt need the money and the pros a jobsworth

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How ridiculous is that. Clearly a member of the white socks only brigade. Or is it black? Can’t remember the etiquette. Thankfully I play somewhere where I could turn up in a unicorn onesie and still play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I still find it hilarious that people think the fabric of society will be ripped asunder should anyone step on a golf course wearing a Tee shirt or short black socks etc etc.
There are one or two more important things to worry about in the world...

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The fact that no one could see what he was wearing under the Galvin Green jacket just flies in the face of common sense.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
If it’s cold I quite regularly wear an “inappropriate” t shirt as an under layer as I know it will never be seen.

Not sure how I’d have reacted if I was the person in question. I certainly wouldn’t have bought the item of clothing he was going to.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
All the makings of a farce - I've no idea (nor would I care) what 'underwear' anyone is playing golf in.

I don't really see this as a dress code issue (unless anyone can produce the written code that specifies undergarments); more borderline insanity on the part of the pro..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah that's a joke. Had a similar situation before with one of my mates but they just said you will have to keep your jumper on for the whole round. I've worn a collarless shirt before when I was wearing a snood around my neck and a jumper as I knew it wouldn't be seen. It must happen enough times in winter without the pro even knowing anyway.

Jobsworth is about right. No common sense shown.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Well them’s the rules & it’s upto each club what rules they enforce.
If you don’t like the rules then simply play elsewhere ?‍♂️

Nah the Pro is obviously a knob who’s under the thumb at home.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wonder if he would have acted in the same manner if Tiger rocked up in his collarless shirts he wears, although Nike have rolled them out to all the staffers now.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is exactly how I layer up all winter. I see no benefit to wearing a collared polo when adding 2 layers on top. All it does is leaving you feeling tight in an area that needs freedom of movement.

The pro needs to catch himself on.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Pro could sense a polo shirt sale :LOL:
First reaction was the pro's a jobsworth but he's probably only implementing the rules as he's been told to. Common sense should prevail in instances like this and the pro be allowed to exercise judgement.