A normal day in the clubhouse

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sat in the clubhouse today having a shandy. Chewing the cud. One guy says his Cheerios, I had never met him before, he seemed pleasant enough. One of the lads says when he has gone " bleeding bandit". " Eh what's that all about Maggot", he tells us this kid has not played for a couple of years so has had to put three cards in. His handicap now is officially 23, when he stopped playing a couple of years ago it was 4. Maggot was not best impressed. Guy played an iron off the first tee and smashed it past Maggots drive, Maggot plays off 8. He told the story so well 😂
Maggot then asks Tricky Trev if he plays with the Wilson DX2, Tricky Trev says Yes and asks why. Maggot explains he has had two split straight down the middle in the last couple of weeks. None of the balls were topped, clean hits with gaping splits in the ball. He went into the club shop and asked the pro if he has had any balls returned. Maggot bought three for two boxes a month or so ago. Pro said yes he has had quiet a few report balls splitting. Maggot says " what are you going to do about it", " pro says " nowt, that's what happens when you buy cheap balls". Maggots was gobsmacked, he's not had a good day.😁

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
4 to 23 sounds like the hcap committee don’t know who he is ,that’s a big increase.
But he could have been ill,injured or some other thing to ruin his swing.

As for the balls they still have to be fit for purpose.

Tashyboy

Visit site
4 to 23 sounds like the hcap committee don’t know who he is ,that’s a big increase.
But he could have been ill,injured or some other thing to ruin his swing.

As for the balls they still have to be fit for purpose.
I Think CC98 he was 4 at another club, so am not sure the hcap committee knew of his previous hcap. Got to say there have been some stonking scores this winter from new members. 25 points was winning our 9 hole comp today playing off 24.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i had two years out and have been given only four shots above previous h/cap ,and im not a single figure player who would still have all the attributes to play below ten easily ,like your baby fly mate says ,bloody bandit.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I Think CC98 he was 4 at another club, so am not sure the hcap committee knew of his previous hcap. Got to say there have been some stonking scores this winter from new members. 25 points was winning our 9 hole comp today playing off 24.
Most good players who have a lay off due to illness or injury retain the short game and putting of a good player.
They may lose some length or accuracy but to give him 19 shots back is just not on.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Most good players who have a lay off due to illness or injury retain the short game and putting of a good player.
They may lose some length or accuracy but to give him 19 shots back is just not on.
Last week, the guy that borrowed me his Cobra F9 to have a bash with on the range. Well it was his boss at work that had the new higher Hcap. He didnt want to say owt For obvious reasons. Maggot on the other hand. I will be watching this closely. 👍

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's his responsibility to have told them, and they should have made that clear when he joined - If they don't know he is being very naughty...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought players were suppose to give previous handicap history and Tashy's club should be able to contact the other club for a handicap history. Seems so wrong that capable golfers can rock up and put cards in to get a handicap of 23 and still smash the ball miles. Up to a point I don't care if you've not played because of injury or illness. It won't take long to hone the short game again and these players still have the ball striking skills (as shown in the post) and to my mind is poor form by someone who knows he'll clean up for a while

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always think how I might want to play the first 3 rounds for a handicap again.

Having been away from club golf for such a long time I wonder what handicap I might get.

I doubt my old 12 is of relevance but I would still mention it.

I imagine going out and blasting drivers all over the shop or a more conservative iron off the tee round. Never sure which one I would play.

If only I had some game in between those, but that is way playing regularly again would bring!

I always lean towards the iron off the tee round as that would probably get my best scores until I am used to club golf again.

I would think a handicap of 16 would be a great start, just don’t want higher than my first which was 17.

We all want something we can improve on from the start, it’s no fun being given a handicap you can’t play to right from the off, hard to see the improvement any practice is given as it’s hidden behind 0.1s.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I know there's a system in place for the hcaps and I remember the other week that a guy on here thought his initial hcap may be to low. But when I heard 4-23, someone is taking the Mickey.
Trouble is for him, I think his card is marked coz eventually the lads he played with will say summat .

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when will you guys stop with the bandit label, he is just a high handicap that had a good day:ROFLMAO:

he might have been a left handed 4 handicap and is now RH for all you know:unsure::LOL:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That seems very strange. I can't imagine a 4 handicap wanting / trying to be a 23 handicap. That's just a different game.

If someone has been a 4 handicap they have likely put a lot of effort and practice into their game and probably have taken a lot of pride at being at that level.

As someone who was down at 17, and having taken up membership again after a few years off I am pretty sheepish about telling people on the 1st tee I'm a 24 handicapper. In roll ups I've been playing off 18 (38 points on Sat, so hopefully get back into the teens once the medals start).

Financially he will win a few medals and a few prizes, but I would imagine people will not want him in their sweep if he is genuinely a single figures player.
And even if he did win a few sweeps? £10 or £15 every odd week to be labelled a cheat / bandit?

Obviously a decent handicap committee will chop him if he shoots a round of net 60 or less.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
New club should have done their homework and had him off 4, until he had entered 3 comps. then reviewed his handicap. The old "I haven't been playing" is such a cop out. I can imagine how that would go down in cricket, I don't play much, but you can imaging the response when you come out to bat to say "look I haven't played for a while, any chance you can give the quickie a rest and bring on someone to bowl a few underarm for me ?"........

D

Deleted member 25172

Played with a "21"-handicapper in the swindle last week. Already from his setup on the first tee I knew this wasn't your ordinary 21-handicapper. He came in with 24 points around the turn and ended with 41. Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of 40+ rounds as well, but getting in to the bar afterwards and hearing he had 43 points in another swindle just a few days prior as well, it made it a bit sour to pay up the regular fiver into the pot. He was on course for a 45-46 point round, but started missing sub 3 feet putts and had a few very odd shots on the last 5 holes or so.

He was keen to show a few rounds on his app where he had shot in the low ninties, but in there, you could also see a round of 76. A 21-handicapper shooting 6 over par? If he's in the swindle again this coming Saturday I'll happily sneak out on my own before they tee off.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Lad I know left at 9, quit for 3-4 years. Just returned put in his 3 cards and is off 8.

First thing he entered was a winter series comp at a different course. He shot level gross and bagged himself £500. He's then won about 4 club comps out of about 6.

I think he's been a member away somewhere and not declared it or been heavily practicing and playing as a greenfee or in a society as he's consistently playing to scratch. Before he left he couldn't play to his handicap of 9 consistently.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
It happens the world over, we got beat(humped 5&4!) in a 4ball tie last year with one of them off 19..get to the turn,he's regularly outdriving all of us by some distance and is +2 on his own ball!! His partner looking a bit sheepish and the post round drinks weren't long and lazy chat I can tell you!

D

Deleted member 15344

A few things about this don’t seem right

First - a person playing off four going to 23 ? Really ? How has he gained the HC - from putting in 3 cards ? Was he defiantly off 4 or is it all jungle drums ?

If the members know he was off four and then you would expect the HC committee would do and then any new Handicap would reflect previous ability

But then is there any circumstances that have affected the player ? Any illness or injury , and how long was he away for ? Did he tell them previous history when he put 3 cards

And then the final thing - the clique mentality, this guy is tainted already which imo is poor - did he actually score well or was someone’s pride taken a bash because someone hit the ball further