A normal day in the clubhouse

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You would expect the new handicap committee to ask about previous golfing history and the player should have been honest about where he played and at what level and the club should follow that up with the previous cut. Even with illness and/or injury, that is still a massive drop in ability and the fact the player is hitting an iron past an 8 handicappers drive doesn't seem to ring true with the new handicap mark. If this guy is going to rock up in a clique, roll up, swindle etc and regularly take money playing off a mark far higher than ability then yes I think he would get tainted and those group members would justifiably get hacked off giving money over on a regular basis. I definitely think the club need to do some more work, and be keeping a very keen eye on proceedings in forthcoming comps. It doesn't quite sit right in my mind but remain to be convinced going forward otherwise

dronfield

Visit site
Whilst this scenario does seem odd/unfair, as has been mentioned, the reason for his "couple" of years absense from playing should be clarified.

At my previous club, a good single figure player unfortunately had a stroke and when he returned to playing his h/c was set at 25. Whilst he was eratic, you could see that he had played at a good level, and was certainly dangerous in team events. I dont know what sort of revovery he has continued to make/ current handicap.

I suspect this is not the scenario for the guy in question here - if his prev history is known, cannot this now be advised to the committee so that they can review his h/c, rather than just accept 3 cards?

Rich

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The guy who mentioned his hcap had never seen him before, his regular playing partner brought him along for a game. He looks below 30 so is still a fit lad. I heard said hcap story and the Wilson staff story and had a chuckle but I was also busy filling me face with me birthday cake. Gonna do some digging tomorrow and over the next few weeks.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's fairly common. A kid at our place turned pro off plus 4. Couldn't hack it, and a couple of years later came back and was given a 7 handicap.

The late RickG and myself got bunted out of the Volvo by a pair, one of whom had jumped from a 4 to a 19 handicap while away for 3 years at university.

Wolf

Visit site
It's a difficult one for clubs as if he was a 4 handicapper previously surely they could have easily found this out from county golf union or using CDH. Also who did the cards for him to get that handicap surely they would have seen his ability and scores didn't tally up. But club do need to look into this to protect the field in comps.

I use myself here as an example, first time I stopped playing at 19 years old off 3 handicap, didn't play for 7 years then when I got back to playing they took into account previous record etc and handicap allocated accordingly. Last time I stopped playing 10years ago I was off 4, then when I started again with my new club in December I was asked about my playing history so told them all of the above, I didn't have a CDH number so played 3 full rounds for score one with club captain as a welcome to club and also for them see how I played in accordance with history and determining new handicap , did my next 2 cards with other members in comps and was allocated an 8 handicap in January after 10 years of not playing. All done fairly and above board with the club in full agreement.

Sounds like the guy in the OP needs looking into

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What was the score of the said bandit? If he was off 23 previously 4 I’d expect him to come in with 50 points or something

If he managed 40 he isn’t overly bandit .. wel not that bad a one!

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Never fails to amaze me how many people complain about the handicap system. It's there to give the worse players a chance to be competitive. As a result there are obviously going to be improving players who put in good scores from higher handicaps. I get that some people may try and fiddle the system but I think it gets really over exaggerated how many people do it

D

Deleted Member 1156

Never fails to amaze me how many people complain about the handicap system. It's there to give the worse players a chance to be competitive. As a result there are obviously going to be improving players who put in good scores from higher handicaps. I get that some people may try and fiddle the system but I think it gets really over exaggerated how many people do it
It's actually there to give ALL players a chance to be competitive.

Tashyboy

Visit site
What was the score of the said bandit? If he was off 23 previously 4 I’d expect him to come in with 50 points or something

If he managed 40 he isn’t overly bandit .. wel not that bad a one!

Just had a look, think he got 21 points, 25 won and 24 second.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So he isn’t really that much of a bandit.. 3 points over par for the half

If he was anywhere near the standard of 4 he would have prob gone round in near to level par and prob nearer 30 points for the half!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would he not have a CDH number, which would show his previous handicap, and be the basis of his new handicap?

He may have had a CDH number but if he hasn't declared it how can the HC Comm do anything, they rely on honesty from new members.

I believe CDH numbers for inactive players are got rid of after a number of years and may also have been purged from the system from information received from a past club.

D

Deleted member 1147

He may have had a CDH number but if he hasn't declared it how can the HC Comm do anything, they rely on honesty from new members.

I believe CDH numbers for inactive players are got rid of after a number of years and may also have been purged from the system from information received from a past club.
Oh right, I thought they were your’s for life?
Also, I’ve played events where the organisers found my CDH without me telling them.
So I’d have thought the handicap committee could have found it?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh right, I thought they were your’s for life?
Also, I’ve played events where the organisers found my CDH without me telling them.
So I’d have thought the handicap committee could have found it?

We are asked to purge lists at club level regularly, E.G. delete players from their database after time, this is due to size issues and GDPR. As long as you have a players club and name it's easy to find the persons CDH No.

Obviously if you are a club member for life, your CDH No is for life.

D

Deleted member 15344

So this guy is being tainted a bandit in your club based on getting 21 points over 9 holes and because he went past someone with an iron ?

Tashyboy

Visit site
So this guy is being tainted a bandit in your club based on getting 21 points over 9 holes and because he went past someone with an iron ?

Here we go again, nothing to do with dropping from 4-23, not my words phil, the words of someone else in the clubhouse. Your good at picking out one word in a post see if you can write were I wrote " think". Something you could try.