Busted. A Cheat Caught

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How many times did the guy win in roll ups in the original cheating case in this thread?

Surely when the guy was buying rounds and people were asking him what he shot someone would have clicked that one week this fella was off 9 then the next thing he's cleaning up off 13.

Was he also getting cut a shot for each win and still winning?

Can't help that think there was some people asleep at the wheel on this one?

Either those that played with him regularly, the handicap secretary at the club or the guy who does the handicaps for the roll up.

I also can't understand how this guy was able to rock up to the roll up he had cheated the week pervious.
Surely some kind of club suspension would be in order to quell the anger felt by the roll up group. A meeting should have been held with him and them before he was able to tee it up with them again. A time for him to explain himself and ask for a kind of forgiveness.

The whole thing seems a bit of a mess.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ooooooh hot off the press!

A player has been caught falsifying his handicap at our club this week!

Known to be a bit dodgy, Player X is a single digit handicap player who rarely manages to play to his handicap in competitions and is very well known to be terrible at away courses. He's a solid putter, decent short game player but his long game isn't even close to what you'd expect from a single digit golfer. Player X used to be our competition secretary but lost the role a few months ago due to being spotted cheating, moving his ball to better lies (observed by 2 players in another group - not his own). He's also the biggest brag in the whole golf club about his single figure status despite no one really thinking he is one.

On Friday Player X was playing in a friendly roll up with 7 other golfers.
All golfers signed in to our PSI system.
Player A was paired up with Player X and knowing his history, decided to mark his own card (in secret) for the 4 ball they played in. After each hole, as normal they all recorded their scores and announced them, nothing funny here.
Players submit scores upon return into PSI
Player X had a poor day and high 20 points and a GROSS 88.

Saturday morning competition - Players A notices that player X's handicap is lower than the day before, despite the high scoring GP card going on. Logs into England golf and sees that Player X has recorded the previous round as a GROSS 80!

Player A then confirms this with the other two pp's from Friday, plus his poor point return with the other 4 ball involved in the roll up and they decide they must inform the club that an incorrect score was entered.

Handicap sec has researched Player X's handicap record - and even at a glance myself I can see his best golf is always played casually on a Friday - some great scores in there - just scores that have never actually happened :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Player X now in limbo, committee discussing what actions to take next
Always baffles me when people cheat to get lower handicaps. You can understand the motive in the OP, getting higher to try and win and make some money. But imagine being known as a cheat when you didn't even gain any benefit from it - just to try and brag about a handicap you have no hope of playing to. The mind boggles.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Always baffles me when people cheat to get lower handicaps. You can understand the motive in the OP, getting higher to try and win and make some money. But imagine being known as a cheat when you didn't even gain any benefit from it - just to try and brag about a handicap you have no hope of playing to. The mind boggles.

Literally his personality summed up perfectly and you've never even met him!

Hot off the press too - my dad has just messaged me to say Player X has resigned his membership with immediate effect.

He's gone.

Swango1980

Visit site
It may help them qualify for events that simply require a low handicap? Maybe it forces them into the club scratch team, particularly if the team selector isn't fully aware that they are cheating, and thinks they must have a good game in there somewhere?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It may help them qualify for events that simply require a low handicap? Maybe it forces them into the club scratch team, particularly if the team selector isn't fully aware that they are cheating, and thinks they must have a good game in there somewhere?

He's steady at our course, but were a very short course and its easy to score well.

We have a "low handicap" team but don't enter scratch events.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, but after doing all that to get in those teams you obviously can't back it up, so surely it would be embarrassing? I just can't get the mindset.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How many times did the guy win in roll ups in the original cheating case in this thread?

Surely when the guy was buying rounds and people were asking him what he shot someone would have clicked that one week this fella was off 9 then the next thing he's cleaning up off 13.

Was he also getting cut a shot for each win and still winning?

Can't help that think there was some people asleep at the wheel on this one?

Either those that played with him regularly, the handicap secretary at the club or the guy who does the handicaps for the roll up.

I also can't understand how this guy was able to rock up to the roll up he had cheated the week pervious.
Surely some kind of club suspension would be in order to quell the anger felt by the roll up group. A meeting should have been held with him and them before he was able to tee it up with them again. A time for him to explain himself and ask for a kind of forgiveness.

The whole thing seems a bit of a mess.
Won once in the Saturday roll up I run. No idea about the other weekend group as I don't play in it. Why would people clock a change. We simply ask what you are off on the 1st tee to mark a group card and assume people are playing off the correct amount. In my roll up as we have cuts in force for winners I always check the mark they played off against what their handicap on the day with a roll up cut taken before paying out. The club have followed internal procedures apparently and I can't comment on why they decided not to ban or suspend as I don't know

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree. If I understand this correctly, a player can sign up for a GP card on the PSI, play, recording scores on a physical scorecard which is attested by a playing partner and then enter the round into the PSI when completed. At this point the player can input the incorrect scores. End of, no further checking takes place.
Because it’s a GP score, and not a competition therefore no results are published, no one will see what was entered.
So, no ‘peer review’.
If that’s the case how is the comittiee supposed to check the accuracy of this card?
That imo is very dodgy.

Just can’t understand anyone making a handicap they can’t play to.
The other way yes but why lower baffles me.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
As usual, making massive assumptions. Explained fully on here disciplinary process has taken place which is why there is an EG penalty against the handicap for 3 months and the club have taken their own internal actions.

Got to agree its been handled poorly by allowing him to continue playing. A lot of the comments you have made have been very negative towards this guy (rightly so), as a member I would be disappointed that the club have put you and the other members in the position of having to play with him.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got to agree its been handled poorly by allowing him to continue playing. A lot of the comments you have made have been very negative towards this guy (rightly so), as a member I would be disappointed that the club have put you and the other members in the position of having to play with him.
If the club allows him to play he can book in where he likes. We as members then have the issue as you point out that we can't not let him play. Competitions will be easier. I will ask to be moved or simply not play the comp

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
If the club allows him to play he can book in where he likes. We as members then have the issue as you point out that we can't not let him play. Competitions will be easier. I will ask to be moved or simply not play the comp

Do you not have an issue that the club have put you (and other members) in that position?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
And yet many other on here seem to have the same system of using a PSI, I don't think that in itself is the issue.

I didn't know it wasn't checked etc. he certainly would have known!

The PSI for most I have seen is just for comp entry scores

GP entry is via

Eg app.
IG app

And we used to have the old scorecard but we removed that now

No GP scores can be entered via the PSI

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

The situation hasn’t been resolved - a proven known cheat still playing at the club

An “eg penalty” - no idea what that is but there appears to be nothing done

And he clearly doesn’t seem bothered by continuing to play

And also what about the person signing the cards