What shot / club is your biggest weakness?

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can hit every shot in the book - high/low draw, fade & straight. However, not on command and each can randomly turn up on any shot.
Someone has mentioned from 50 yards in - that's probably the worst for me, as I tend to miss the green fairly consistently. Could be long, shot, left or right - I need to settle on a stock shot for this really.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can hit every shot in the book - high/low draw, fade & straight. However, not on command and each can randomly turn up on any shot.
Someone has mentioned from 50 yards in - that's probably the worst for me, as I tend to miss the green fairly consistently. Could be long, shot, left or right - I need to settle on a stock shot for this really.
I'm not really a feel player so I kept it as simple as possible. Feet slightly closer together and half swing with every wedge gives me roughly:
70-75y: PW
60-65: AW
50-55: 50°
35-40: 54°

If I'm in bit in between clubs then I just grip down further on the longer one. I'm not saying this gets me stone dead every time but usually somewhere on the green and putting.

Other people can use only one club and eyeball it and vary the length of swing - I'd have absolutely no chance of doing that.

badgergm

Visit site
Fairway woods - basically only ever give it a go when not in a comp. which is v rare.
The low punch - keep hitting it too high and hitting the tree. Which is a shame as it is a shot I require often.
Putting - leave way too many short because I drop the ball into the hole. As soon as I try and hit the back of the hole then it gets even worse.
Bunkers - clueless basically - just try and not decel and get some sand and hope it works out.

Play off about 5 or 6 somehow.

RedEyes

Visit site
My driver is killing me at the moment, don't know where it's going to end up, left or right.
Confidence has totally gone with it, it was the strongest part of my game at the beginning of the season as well! It's costing me at least 5 shots a round.
Chipping out of the trees after every tee shot is becoming tedious, but then my irons are saving me!
I went the driving range to try and sort it on Saturday to no avail.
I played Toptracer 12 to finish off, my overall Performance HCP was 2.4 75% Targets hit, Approach Performance HCP +4.1, Tee Shots Performance HCP 17.9!
I'm going to test the new Titleist GT on Thursday as well, couldn't come at a worse time driver wise.

Attachments

• Toptracer 12.jpg
    Toptracer 12.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The low punch - keep hitting it too high and hitting the tree. Which is a shame as it is a shot I require often.
See post no. 54
Putting - leave way too many short because I drop the ball into the hole. As soon as I try and hit the back of the hole then it gets even worse.
If you are coming up short, make your back swing a touch longer
Bunkers - clueless basically - just try and not decel and get some sand and hope it works out.
People see the guys on TV playing out of beautifully prepared bunkers and try and copy their technique on their home bunkers.
I'd suggest hitting the sand 3-4 in behind the ball and go 3-4 inches deep with a big swing.

My driver is killing me at the moment, don't know where it's going to end up, left or right.
If you're hitting it left and right your grip must be suspect.
See post no. 16

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing you're hitting them too high?
Think of what you'd need to do to hit it high, then do the opposite.
Ball back in the stance a touch, hands forward. 6 or 7 iron down the grip.
Then with a half swing, swing gently

If you hit it hard, you will generate more speed
More speed = more spin
More spin= more height

Some of the bad ones are high.... embarrassingly the really bad ones are sh*nks; I have some success when I don't hinge the wrist, but I get selfish by trying to advance the ball back onto and further down the fairway so trying to get the extra power sees me hinge which on the shorter swing seems to bring me back to a very bad impact position!

RedEyes

Visit site
See post no. 54

People see the guys on TV playing out of beautifully prepared bunkers and try and copy their technique on their home bunkers.
I'd suggest hitting the sand 3-4 in behind the ball and go 3-4 inches deep with a big swing.

See post no.

See post no. 54

See post no. 16
My grip is sound, my irons are really good atm so not going to tinker with my grip. My swing is too long with the driver, I’m currently working on shortening it and trying not to cross the line at the top, that’s where the inconsistency is coming from. Hopefully the swing change I’ve made will click soon.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My grip is sound, my irons are really good atm so not going to tinker with my grip. My swing is too long with the driver, I’m currently working on shortening it and trying not to cross the line at the top, that’s where the inconsistency is coming from. Hopefully the swing change I’ve made will click soon.
I'd want to see the numbers of your swing path direction with at least 10-12 balls

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Putter without a doubt, yesterday I had 5 birdie putts in 9 holes, I managed one par, this is just a long standing problem with me and despite lots of lessons it never improves

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putter without a doubt, yesterday I had 5 birdie putts in 9 holes, I managed one par, this is just a long standing problem with me and despite lots of lessons it never improves
My putting is a problem. Last night 3 putts nearly every hole. But I am really affected by green speed. Not that I can’t read it or feel it but I need a different putter weight for quick greens and slow greens.
Last night I was on slow greens with a light putter.. so I feel I am hitting it harder .. which will always impact accuracy. But also the delicate down hill ones where I play off the toe. Should have been out the middle because the greens had no speed.
I am thinking I need to get a proper putter fitting and find a good compromise position.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
B
30cm putts. Every time. 😡
Best tip I was given for those length of putt, push your putter head towards the hole. Really exaggerate the stroke, almost forgetting that the ball is there. Putter in the hole, remember 👍

I played with a friend last week who 2 putted every time from that range. Painful to watch, more painful for him. Hope you get it sorted.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
30cm putts. Every time. 😡
Might be because you don't vary the length of your backswing. You end up with a long backswing and decelerate into the ball.
Place an object 3-4 inches behind your putter at address, that will cut down the length of your backswing which in turn will encourage a slight acceleration.