What shot / club is your biggest weakness?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fairway bunker shot that needs to get up quick over trees.

Face this shot on our 7th from time to time.

The face of the bunker isn't the issue. Its long and wide. There's trees at the end of it and its usually 130 to 140 to the pin.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm brilliant at everything.

It puzzles me why I'm not off scratch.

Perhaps there's a clue in the self-delusion above.

But "I'm mediocre at everything" just doesn't inspire me with confidence. I'll stick with the inspiring delusion.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always remember an old pro saying to me.
“ the hardest shot in golf is an easy wedge 80yds “
Silence from us
He followed with “ golfers walk to the ball and just think it’s an easy wedge. They don’t set up ,aim or execute the shot properly that’s why they miss”
I am guilty of that sometimes.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

But "I'm mediocre at everything" just doesn't inspire me with confidence. I'll stick with the inspiring delusion.
I need a bit of this instead of a long list of what could go wrong.. I need the short list of what could go right.
I have been working on my short game in the back garden and it’s paying off. The grip issue discussed in another thread has had a positive impact across my whole game .. now the putter needs a good seeing to. But I am quite happy because I am playing nice shots now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I'm doing a lot of stuff around my mindset and using a lot of podcasts which have helped with my thinking on the course and my pre-shot routine and reaction to good and bad shots. I am always starting from a position of being able to hit a good shot and then dealing with the outcome from there

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One for
Mine changes every few months. Traditionally it was that I couldn't strike irons very well, but right now I'm probably striking them as well as I ever have. This time last year I couldn't putt to save my life, but this year since I bought my Odyssey #7 I've putted the best I ever have.

My driving slice problem came back in a big way this year, so that's been killing me of late. But just prior to the last two rounds, something clicked and I'm learning to swing a bit more in-to-out, with great results. Will it continue? Who knows but fingers crossed.

So right now the biggest problem is probably inconsistent fairway woods. I can absolutely stripe one onto the green one minute, then on the very next hole fat-slice one 100 yards into the right hand rough. Simple logic suggests it's my hands getting in front of the ball too much, but not sure how to stop that happening.

I've never had one weakness above all others, my game is more like spinning plates. As soon as you get one going, another one falls off.
You were talking recently about struggling with the driver with the Eureka swing. Check this out as it may help

For anyone wondering about it - simply explained here

Has made a real difference and very simple. I know it isn't for many but has definitely helped with my bad back and handicap down from 14 to 11.4

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Low shot / punch out from rough to avoid tree trouble (after being in trouble).

Me to I hate them.
I'm guessing you're hitting them too high?
Think of what you'd need to do to hit it high, then do the opposite.
Ball back in the stance a touch, hands forward. 6 or 7 iron down the grip.
Then with a half swing, swing gently

If you hit it hard, you will generate more speed
More speed = more spin
More spin= more height

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably bunkers as I hardly go in them. I use our practice bunker and am quite good from it, however, the bunkers on the course bear no resemblance to the practice bunker. I always get out but with my handicap I feel that I should get the ball closer to the hole more regularly than I do.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing you're hitting them too high?
Think of what you'd need to do to hit it high, then do the opposite.
Ball back in the stance a touch, hands forward. 6 or 7 iron down the grip.
Then with a half swing, swing gently

If you hit it hard, you will generate more speed
More speed = more spin
More spin= more height
The opposite Bob I seem to smother them mostly.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really struggle with 5i - my longest iron. I don’t trust that the loft will naturally hit the ball further instead I can’t stop trying to hit the ball harder to make it go further. Frustrating.
My 5 iron is on & off the naughty step constantly - like my 6 iron but go one up & disaster