A normal day in the clubhouse

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The point is, 21 point for 9 is still three under handicap and without knowing the ins and outs could potentially have been more (if a couple of putts had dropped) or he may have been going for everything and not scored on a hole as it was. So difficult to make accurate assumptions although I do feel the guy in question is wrong for not at least mentioning playing ability and handicap and giving the new handicap secretary all the information to decide on how to proceed

Sorry homer but I regularly shoot 34 points and could have been 40 if this putt dropped or my drive was in the fairway not the rough, that’s what makes me an average
If I go back to the very start, I never said anything from my point of view that he is a bandit. I said someone else who played 18 holes with him said it. Phil then said he scored 21 points in a nine holer and he is tarnished a bandit. I don't think the score was important. Coz let's call a spade a spade. No ones ever shot 10 under on 14 holes and missed a few easy ones or blobbed an hole or two on purpose have they. And I am not saying he has.Probably what was important was what Maggot saw. And listening to Maggot over the last X number of years I have never heard him say owt like that before.
I will tell you what I am moaning at Phil for, because any post I put on he dissects it for one word which he can pick up on and quiet frankly it gets on my tits.
Anyway having played a few holes today, guess who I saw, Maggot. I asked him re said persons hcap and he confirmed it again. He also added that said golfer is in his late twenties, said golfer got down to four in his early twenties, but he has not played for 7 years. His main focus was cricket. Apparantly he was very very good, but now his knees are knackered and he has taken up golf again.
7 Years is a long time out the game, and injuries will hamper him

If he is “a bandit” I’m sure he will get cut to the right level

D

Deleted member 15344

If I go back to the very start, I never said anything from my point of view that he is a bandit. I said someone else who played 18 holes with him said it. Phil then said he scored 21 points in a nine holer and he is tarnished a bandit.

No one said "you" called him a bandit - what you said was that people in the clubhouse your mate was calling him a bandit - straight away thats a stigma attached

I don't think the score was important. Coz let's call a spade a spade. No ones ever shot 10 under on 14 holes and missed a few easy ones or blobbed an hole or two on purpose have they. And I am not saying he has.Probably what was important was what Maggot saw. And listening to Maggot over the last X number of years I have never heard him say owt like that before.

Doesnt matter what someone "saw" which again hasnt really been clarified - but plenty of people have hit the ball nicely but dont score well - scoring is what gives you your handicap so it does matter
I will tell you what I am moaning at Phil for, because any post I put on he dissects it for one word which he can pick up on and quiet frankly it gets on my tits.

What exactly is it you think is the one word that im dissecting ? Bandit -because people calling others bandits wiithout any proof is poor and so far from what you have posted its all speculation

Anyway having played a few holes today, guess who I saw, Maggot. I asked him re said persons hcap and he confirmed it again. He also added that said golfer is in his late twenties, said golfer got down to four in his early twenties, but he has not played for 7 years. His main focus was cricket. Apparantly he was very very good, but now his knees are knackered and he has taken up golf again.

So guy plays well as a junior , leaves and plays another sport for a considerable period - seems he has got injuries in his kness which would affect someone playing golf and would give an acceptable reason for the new HC.

So maybe the calls of "bandit" should be tempered by your mates just a little - and if he still has the ability he had before then as he gets used to the game again he will come down. Still see it as a bit of sour grapes by someone who was outdriven by someone with an iron

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Committees all over the country face this particular challenging situation over and over again.
1. The player is required to advise them of all and any handicap history before a handicap is allocated.
2. The committee are required to take into account all this information, together with the cards submitted, and allocate an appropriate handicap - it's not easy, and will never be seen as appropriate by everyone (let alone a forum!).
Considerations and approaches that make sense are to consider whether the players scores show signs of 'getting back I to the swing' by considering them chronologically. Considering whether you are being presented by the first available returns or whether there has been some play on the course before cards were returned. Requiring additional card, or cards. Committee round. Finally, and most importantly, closely monitoring early progress.
The handicap committee can only do it's best - they aren't psychic, can't treat everyone as out to trick them up front etc

D

Deleted member 1147

friend of mine was a 5 handicap, a year later he won a Stableford with over 40 points, off a 19 handicap.
Turns out he’d had a stroke, so was given a new handicap. They got it wrong, and was soon sorted out.

If Maggot’s new enemy has the wrong handicap that too should soon be corrected,

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
friend of mine was a 5 handicap, a year later he won a Stableford with over 40 points, off a 19 handicap.
Turns out he’d had a stroke, so was given a new handicap. They got it wrong, and was soon sorted out.

If Maggot’s new enemy has the wrong handicap that too should soon be corrected,
How on earth did that guy ever accept a 19 H/cap..... that's just so, so embarrassing.... if you've been out for a while or have medical reasons then you'd surely work towards getting back into the game BEFORE submitting your 3 cards. Maybe they did... & suddenly then got a lot better... me thinks :eek::eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Committees all over the country face this particular challenging situation over and over again.
1. The player is required to advise them of all and any handicap history before a handicap is allocated.
2. The committee are required to take into account all this information, together with the cards submitted, and allocate an appropriate handicap - it's not easy, and will never be seen as appropriate by everyone (let alone a forum!).
Considerations and approaches that make sense are to consider whether the players scores show signs of 'getting back I to the swing' by considering them chronologically. Considering whether you are being presented by the first available returns or whether there has been some play on the course before cards were returned. Requiring additional card, or cards. Committee round. Finally, and most importantly, closely monitoring early progress.
The handicap committee can only do it's best - they aren't psychic, can't treat everyone as out to trick them up front etc
And this is exactly what I said. The said player has a responsibility to tell the committee that he played to four seven year ago and allow the committee then allocate a new handicap based on the cards put in and the known history and come to the correct (as much as possible) middle ground. It is the fact he has made no offering of the now "well known" history to the relevant sources that doesn't sit right

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And this is exactly what I said. The said player has a responsibility to tell the committee that he played to four seven year ago and allow the committee then allocate a new handicap based on the cards put in and the known history and come to the correct (as much as possible) middle ground. It is the fact he has made no offering of the now "well known" history to the relevant sources that doesn't sit right

Has it been stated anywhere that he hasn’t told the committee about his history?

He must have told someone in passing if not officially as everyone seems to know his story!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has it been stated anywhere that he hasn’t told the committee about his history?

He must have told someone in passing if not officially as everyone seems to know his story!
No idea, just an assumption based on the information provided. In the grand scheme of things he isn't the first to raise a few comments from members when a handicap is allocated and won't be the last. I guess the proof will come when he enters competitions and roll ups and wins and takes the money regularly

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No idea, just an assumption based on the information provided. In the grand scheme of things he isn't the first to raise a few comments from members when a handicap is allocated and won't be the last. I guess the proof will come when he enters competitions and roll ups and wins and takes the money regularly

Exactly nobody knows his full story

He could have told them and in his 3 carded rounds hit 140 or something because he couldn’t get into it and now has been working on it

Guy I know came into our society off 28, had never played golf before and got his cards at 28

He cleaned up for ages and now is off 14 because he literally got the bug so bad he hit the practice area, the range, the course 5 times a week. He’s now about right score wise for his handicap but never scored more than 40 points at a time so was a steady improvement each time

People are too quick to label people bandits when in reality people are allowed to improve

Once my driver catches up with my short game I’m sure I’ll be called a bandit .. but in reality the amount of work I’m putting in id just be seeing reward

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Exactly nobody knows his full story

He could have told them and in his 3 carded rounds hit 140 or something because he couldn’t get into it and now has been working on it

Guy I know came into our society off 28, had never played golf before and got his cards at 28

He cleaned up for ages and now is off 14 because he literally got the bug so bad he hit the practice area, the range, the course 5 times a week. He’s now about right score wise for his handicap but never scored more than 40 points at a time so was a steady improvement each time

People are too quick to label people bandits when in reality people are allowed to improve

Once my driver catches up with my short game I’m sure I’ll be called a bandit .. but in reality the amount of work I’m putting in id just be seeing reward
Please re-read all my posts. I've never labelled this guy a bandit!!. My biggest concern/issue was as above and he didn't meet the CONGU requirement to declare previous playing history (allegedly)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm intrigued by the negative connotations everyone around here has regarding the word "bandit". At my club it's just another piece of good natured banter. Anyone who comes in with a cracking score gets called "bandit", but it's just the way we congratulate someone who has played well. There is no malice. Is my club unusual in this respect?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Please re-read all my posts. I've never labelled this guy a bandit!!. My biggest concern/issue was as above and he didn't meet the CONGU requirement to declare previous playing history (allegedly)

Wasn’t saying it was you that said it, was referring to this “maggot”

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm intrigued by the negative connotations everyone around here has regarding the word "bandit". At my club it's just another piece of good natured banter. Anyone who comes in with a cracking score gets called "bandit", but it's just the way we congratulate someone who has played well. There is no malice. Is my club unusual in this respect?

I think most clubs up and down the country will do the same and it will be said in a light hearted manner - I certainly have on a regular basis. I do though think that term in jest takes some joy out of victory, I've seen it with afew friends and my Dad who's now retired and won a couple of events after joining the club and it just irks as it almost questions the handicap rather than the performance. On that basis I've tried to use it much less and just applaud good play.

Not a major issue in life granted, but given the term is also used negatively like on here, then I think it's better to say great play, and then joke around on the god awful shots that people have played on the day.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Exactly but it seems some want to take it a lot further and even start bickering about it.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It’s context, isn’t it? I call my mates a bandit when they play well over a consistent period, I might also say it to other people I know well. It’s completely different though saying it behind someone’s back based on hearsay together with the story he did play off 4 he’s now off 23.

That’s not banter.

I remember when I was off 21 and desperately trying to improve. Practiced hard over the winter, lots of lessons, really went for it. It worked; I had 45 points in one of the early comps of the season.

Got back to the clubhouse and input my scores on the computer and immediately was called a bandit. The guy who said it wasn’t saying it as banter. He was a sour old loser, I just laughed at him; i couldn’t have cared less. Lots of people out there that are happy just plodding along at whatever level they’ve plateaued at and don’t put the effort into improvement who resent it when others do.

As has been said plenty of times above, this guy could be a bandit if he’s concealed his golfing history, but we have no idea if he has or not, and nor does tashyboy and his chums.

I’d be very surprised if he actually did play off a real handicap of 4. Might have just played in a society or something. Or had an “unofficial” handicap. Or 4 is an exaggeration by the story teller.

I find the ire attached to it amusing really; handicap is such an emotive topic! I’m not very good at golf, and all I strive for is achieving the lowest score I can. I’m not bothered about winning competitions by outperforming my handicap; in my experience it tends to be those plodders I mentioned above that aren’t seriously interested in improvement that get the most irate about it. Most likely I guess because if you’re not playing to be as good as you can, winning a handicap comp or two becomes more exciting

D

Deleted member 15344

When its between a bunhc of mates who know each other then its just a bit jovial fun and is in the whole harmless

But take this instance for example -its been given towards someone who is new , doesnt appear to be part of the group and is behind his back - so for me thats when its a bit nasty. And it doesnt take much for word to get around and through no fault of his own a guy who has just joined has a stigma attached to him - and none of the circumstances were known. Sometimes when someone is called a bandit then its done from spitefullness and maybe a bit of bitterness from someone who lost out. There are of course professional bandits and there are guys who learn quickly - its just not nice when its not between friends and it can get very nasty. We have all no doubt seen it at clubs and i know people who have left clubs because of jungle rumours

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
sounds to me like tricky trev or maggot may have been a little hurt that they have been outdriven by a high handicapper, called him a bandit and tried to justify this by mentioning his previous handicap.

Golf eh.

D

Deleted member 1147

How on earth did that guy ever accept a 19 H/cap..... that's just so, so embarrassing.... if you've been out for a while or have medical reasons then you'd surely work towards getting back into the game BEFORE submitting your 3 cards. Maybe they did... & suddenly then got a lot better... me thinks :eek::eek:
To be fair, he was a right mess for a while, but now he's getting better he's off 12, which seems to be about right.
They agreed a decent sized general play cut after that win.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the guy was ever remotely close to a 4 handicap then he should never in a million years be playing off 20 odd apart from those rare cases of severe injury.