is this normal? dress code question

AdamC28

Visit site
Ridiculous.
I nearly always do that in winter as I don’t like wearing double collars.
In fact I have a TW Nike golf top that is collarless, would this not be allowed?

D

Deleted member 15344

All seems a bit silly and a lack of common sense from the pro - he can prob hide under “ must follow the rules “ but in the winter surely many just wear a tee shirt etc

Almost seem unbelievable that a pro would act like this ? Guess we won’t know what club it was

D

Deleted member 21258

I turned up at a certain golf club a few days back as I heard they had a good sale on. whilst I was perusing two guys walked in (non members) paid for their round and upon walking out one of them said "hold on, they've got that ping jumper I've been looking for". the guy removed his scalf and galvin green jacket. he was left wearing a plain black collarless t-shirt. the pro said he couldn't play as he wasn't wearing the correct cloths. the guy simply replied " it's freezing outside, this galvin jacket is not coming off I can promise you that. if for some bizarre reason it should heat up 10 degrees i accept I'm stuck wearing this jacket"
the pro was having non of it and refunded their green fee. thoughts?

I think I am going to stand a little alone on this, but what you have said, kind of proves that the guy removed his jacket and was not complying with the clubs dress code in the clubhouse/pro shop or course.

So I can see the other side of the argument, its not so black/white imho.:D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems daft. Had the guy simply turned up, ignored the jumper on sale and gone out no-one would have cared. Granted it may have been an issue in the clubhouse afterwards but at least the round would have been done and dusted.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I am going to stand a little alone on this, but what you have said, kind of proves that the guy removed his jacket and was not complying with the clubs dress code in the clubhouse/pro shop or course.

So what if he had a conforming shirt on but took it off to try the new one on. Would he then be breaking the club rules and be thrown out at that point. Rediculous I know but so is the original scenario.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

what? its as black and white as they come ffs. theres always one i guess, congrats

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
what? its as black and white as they come ffs. theres always one i guess, congrats

I agree it's black and white, he wasn't wearing a collared shirt and so was contravening that club's rules.

I wouldn't have turned up in a T-shirt if collared shirts were required, even if I was going to be wearing a jacket over it, FFS.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have threads that defend dress codes to the hilt, but only when it suits it would appear.
Yeah, I'm actually quite surprised that more dress code enthusiasts haven't come out of the woodwork and defended the pro! I guess where people draw the line is variable.

D

Deleted member 21258

So what if he had a conforming shirt on but took it off to try the new one on. Would he then be breaking the club rules and be thrown out at that point. Rediculous I know but so is the original scenario.

This isn't what happened and your above example is an example of a golfer complying with the dress code rules on the course/pro shop and in the clubhouse. All he is doing is just trying on new dress wear.

The OP clearly states that the guy turned up not complying with the dress code rules. His defence was he would not take off his jacket(which is very weak, as if you wish to play the course make sure you comply with the clubs rules) but then went on to take off his jacket in the pro shop, so destroying his weak defence.

When I attend a golf club I ensure I comply with their dress code rule, easy as that. Even if I do not personally agree with them, I still comply with them as I wish to play the course.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah, I'm actually quite surprised that more dress code enthusiasts haven't come out of the woodwork and defended the pro! I guess where people draw the line is variable.
I think they'd love to.....
I can't believe more people aren't out in support of the pro either. Fancy siding with a T shirt wearing chancer.

Swango1980

Visit site
Bizarre reaction from the pro. If a golfer wears a golfing jumper / sweater, I presume there is no rule to say what sort of t-shirt / vest they must wear underneath? So, I presume the same must be true if a golfer is wearing a jacket. The only caveat being that, if they were to take their jumper / jacket off during the round, a more strict club will act if they are playing in a collarless t-shirt / vest.

As has also been mentioned, a few golfers will wear a neck high jumper / jacket or even a snood at this time of year. So, who cares if a t-shirt has a collar or not?

I wonder of the pro is simply a "snooty" individual, or he is under strict authority by "snooty" members to enforces a very strict policy?