Nowhere to go

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had probably the most ludicrous example of of someone saying this today.

Ahead of me is a 3 ball, one decent golfer and two relative beginners. Ahead of them is a single and then a mixed four ball. All groups playing ready golf and not dawdling.

I finish hole 1 as the 3ball ahead tees off and as they walk down one persons asks another if they should let me thorough, none hit the green and even on this par 3 course one is still over 100 yards from the hole on a 110 yarder!

The response he was given, after a quick look at the next hole, with the single and 4 ball on, was “There is nowhere to go”. I was baffled as I could see the 4 ball letting the single through, which was the only delay to their game!

They didn’t let me through on the next hole as the 4 ball was still on the tee, well of course they are as they let the single through! I overheard the guy again saying “see, nowhere to go”. They have no idea I can clearly hear them.

They of course were just done teeing off when I finished the hole, I was level par and generally playing well. They apologies for not letting me through and again said I had nowhere to go. Well I pointed out the whole situation and why it appeared slow was because the other single was being let thorough! Doing so hadn’t delayed anyone’s game, which I pointed out and thankfully they let me through.

I then caught the four all who let me through after they had all teed off (which is the correct way to do it in most circumstances) and everyone’s momentum was kept.

Even on a short 9 hole course it helps everyone to let faster groups through and to tee off and then let a single through as this is usually the most time efficient.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
Even on a short 9 hole course it helps everyone to let faster groups through and to tee off and then let a single through as this is usually the most time efficient.
It helps everybody to have some people play slower....and some to play faster? From my view....it helps the people who get to play faster.....it hurts the people who have to play slower. Ying-yang.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Is 'nowhere to go' the new version of 'no standing on the course'?

From different threats it feels like it's mostly a complaint about long standing members using that phrase. And when I joined here a couple of years ago there was a lot of those 'no standing on the course' discussions.

Mandofred

Visit site
Is 'nowhere to go' the new version of 'no standing on the course'?

From different threats it feels like it's mostly a complaint about long standing members using that phrase. And when I joined here a couple of years ago there was a lot of those 'no standing on the course' discussions.
Now I need to look up this phrase....I've no idea what it means. First thing that comes to mind are some Lords and Ladies standing on the course swigging their gins and hobnobbing....
Just looked it up....I interpreted wrong (as usual). Etiquette is a fickle thing......constantly up to interpretation.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You don't even need to let a single player through as such. If you're in a group with a single behind you you let them catch up, tee off with you, walk to your next shots together, then faff about for two minutes while they hit their approach. Half the time they won't bother putting out as they know you are waiting. Too easy...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You don't even need to let a single player through as such. If you're in a group with a single behind you you let them catch up, tee off with you, walk to your next shots together, then faff about for two minutes while they hit their approach. Half the time they won't bother putting out as they know you are waiting. Too easy...
Unfortunately the simplicity of this escapes many - or they choose to have it escape them. When a course is busy too many golfers seem to be filled with resentments towards what are clearly faster groups - with singletons especially being the #1 targets for major resentments.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
You'd be playing as a five. I'm telling on you. ;)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Unfortunately the simplicity of this escapes many - or they choose to have it escape them. When a course is busy too many golfers seem to be filled with resentments towards what are clearly faster groups - with singletons especially being the #1 targets for major resentments.

I agree?. I think your last sentence refers to the time when there was this
Etiquette called "Standing".
It was used when I started golf. I remember some old boy( I was young then) inviting me to join him, " so that we've got some standing", he said.
Thus I did, because as a singleton I was expected to get out of everyone's way.
Though I knew the etiquette, I never had the rationale of it explained to me.
It was not snobbishness because all members were expected to comply.
All I can think of is that it wasn't deemed reasonable for one player, who could only be doing some sort of practising, to hold up what could be a group in a competition?
Anyone know the "official" reason?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
The three ball I was playing in last week let a single through, I reckon it cost us maybe two minutes max - we waited a few seconds to let him join us and tee off, he nipped up and played his second whilst we were walking down, he then waited whilst we played up and then putted out as we were walking to the green. He was then teeing off with the group in front as we putted out, it was no issue at all.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The three ball I was playing in last week let a single through, I reckon it cost us maybe two minutes max - we waited a few seconds to let him join us and tee off, he nipped up and played his second whilst we were walking down, he then waited whilst we played up and then putted out as we were walking to the green. He was then teeing off with the group in front as we putted out, it was no issue at all.
That's the way to do it.

It's straightforward and painless...yet the resentments and - yes - almost anger, that seem to be prevalent in some elements of too many groups when they know they should let a singleton or faster group through seem to get in the way of such a logical and minimum impact approach.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Similar but call them up as you are over your second shots. Let the single drive, hit your second shots, the single will them almost be with you, they play their approach and you amble forward with them, letting them finish out as you are about 10-20 yards from the green. Time you've all holed out the next tee is clear and the group behind have gained little or nothing so aren't inconvenienced. Simples.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say all tee off, all play your approach shots, then the 4 ball amble down while the single player walks on ahead briskly, maybe has one putt then gone. Then you can take your time chipping and putting while the single guy tees off.

Nah, that seems too sensible.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Similar but call them up as you are over your second shots. Let the single drive, hit your second shots, the single will them almost be with you, they play their approach and you amble forward with them, letting them finish out as you are about 10-20 yards from the green. Time you've all holed out the next tee is clear and the group behind have gained little or nothing so aren't inconvenienced. Simples.

This is exactly what I do