How fast or slow are you?

Albo

Visit site
I played this afternoon and the course was quiet, I was out alone and played through a single junior on the 3rd and a 3 ball on the 15th, other than that I didn’t see another golfer on the course. Walking with my electric trolley I went round in 1:41 according to Arccos. Now I played well and didn’t have to spend time looking for balls, but the time surprised me, I assumed my single ball time was 2h give or take. I actually putted out all 18 holes as well, so no gimmies or kindly drops.
Is this sort of time average for a single ball on an empty course?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It depends on the distances between greens and tees...if there's 20 yards then you'll get round quicker than if they're 150..
We have some quite long walks, I can do the front 9 in an hour and the back in 1 hr15...although the back 9 is shorter, the walks are longer.

HPIMG

Visit site
I was out this morning myself and it was cold so was playing quite fast to keep warm. Finished in 2 hours and think that’s about as fast as I could play.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played this afternoon and the course was quiet, I was out alone and played through a single junior on the 3rd and a 3 ball on the 15th, other than that I didn’t see another golfer on the course. Walking with my electric trolley I went round in 1:41 according to Arccos. Now I played well and didn’t have to spend time looking for balls, but the time surprised me, I assumed my single ball time was 2h give or take. I actually putted out all 18 holes as well, so no gimmies or kindly drops.

But did you enjoy playing at that pace?

D

Deleted member 1147

What length course?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Fair play.

I’d expect to get around mine in about 2–2.15, some longish walks between tees but I’d also want to enjoy it.
I’m similar at my place. 2:20 with the trolley and playing well in reasonable weather is a nice pace.

Half set and carrying a bit quicker.

It’s a 9 to 9.5 kilometre walk to get round my course.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Our course is 17,000 steps. Don't think there's a chance of getting round in close to 2 hours or less, but I'd expect to be under 3 if I was on my own with no hold ups.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Looking at my watch I’ve done just under 10,000 so significantly shorter

I feel ours is too long sometimes, it's a great test of golf but mentally and physically can grind you down - by the time I'm coming up the 17th the tiredness is a definite factor.
The course the youth plays most of his golf at his much hillier, but less draining - and as a result I tend to enjoy playing there more, especially for a social round.

Albo

Visit site
I feel ours is too long sometimes, it's a great test of golf but mentally and physically can grind you down - by the time I'm coming up the 17th the tiredness is a definite factor.
The course the youth plays most of his golf at his much hillier, but less draining - and as a result I tend to enjoy playing there more, especially for a social round.
The course I was playing this evening is very hilly, but at a par 67 it’s relatively short.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Played Clovelly, South Africa with the "trouble and strife" yesterday in 3½ hours which is very quick for us but we were in a buggy. There was no-one in front and the people behind didn't catch up before they went for the 15 minute pie and chips break at half time. As no one in front, we went straight through. For the second half, we were essentially alone; apart from a couple of blokes hitting there balls onto our fairway coming the other way.

sjw

Visit site
If I play solo, I reckon I can do 3 hours. I don't rush, but I don't hang about either. That's on a typical weekend afternoon. If the course was empty? Not sure.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Quickest I've done 18 in is 1:45 but that was playing well so not looking for balls etc - par 69 5800 yard course. Only 3 walks between green and next tee that are over 50 yards I reckon though.

With the rough being a little longer this year there's been a bit of time lost looking for balls but I still aim for around 2 hours if solo on a clear course.

JayB

Visit site
Solo I'm usually give myself 3 hours, especially with the fading light in the winter months, in reality, it's normally around 2:30 without hold-ups.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem is some people think they are quick but compared to others they are painfully slow.
My home course growing up had a sign at the first tee that read....
TIME GUIDE
2 ball...3 hours
3 ball...3.15 hours
4 ball...3.30 hours.
Sadly, those days...and the sign have long gone.