How fast or slow are you?

AussieKB

Visit site
Played yesterday in a four ball, went round in 3.43 which is slightly quicker than normal but always under 4 hours, unless held up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must be one of those rare golfers that just shoes with the pace of the day and enjoys it regardless.
Until they start awarding prizes for fastest finishers, pace really doesn’t bother me.

Interestingly, I saw Lou Stagner running a twitter poll on this earlier this week.

:unsure:

View attachment 50025
That's exactly how I'd expect it to go. Precious few slow players actually realise they're being slow - or they're in denial.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, golf is all about speed now.
96mph-98mph myself, so middle of the pack. I used to be a slow player, more like 88-92. Can get 100-102 some days now, but not consistently. Pushing for 100+ reliably and peak 105 before next spring.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It can be a rather small minority of golfers that are actually slow to slow up a golf course.
Also a twitter poll that follows Lou Stagner is hardly a representative set of golfers.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The 57% only think they play at an average pace - doesn’t mean that they do.
I was once on a speed awareness course. The guy running it asked everyone in the room to rate their driving out of 10, then to rate the average motorist.

There were about 20 of us on the course. Everyone rated themselves around 8. They rated the average driver as 5-6.

The guy in charge then says isn't it interesting that you all think you are better than the average driver, yet every one of you has broken the law, and that's why you are here?

Unfortunately there is a human trait where people think they are better than average, as evidenced by this poll.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 57% only think they play at an average pace - doesn’t mean that they do.

I think this is a good point. The fact is I have never met anyone who admits they are slow, certainly nobody without a physical or age related condition that limits their speed and yet I have played with come incredibly slow golfers.

AussieKB

Visit site
I call our Captain the second slowest player in the Club.....he is not happy but as we are good friends, use to play foursomes together I think I'm safe from retribution.

sunshine

Visit site
Looking at my watch I’ve done just under 10,000 so significantly shorter

This is a very short course, and I imagine walks between green and next tee are also short, so we need to make a comparison to understand the context.

Just under 10,000 steps in 1hr 41mins = 100 steps per minute on average.

I think I typically do c.18,000 steps on my course. So playing at a pace of 100 steps per minute = 3 hours. That's typical for me if on my own or a quick 2 ball. But most of the time there are 3 and 4 balls on the course so I'm not playing at that pace, and it only bothers me if the pace is over 4 hours.

Albo

Visit site
This is a very short course, and I imagine walks between green and next tee are also short, so we need to make a comparison to understand the context.

Just under 10,000 steps in 1hr 41mins = 100 steps per minute on average.

I think I typically do c.18,000 steps on my course. So playing at a pace of 100 steps per minute = 3 hours. That's typical for me if on my own or a quick 2 ball. But most of the time there are 3 and 4 balls on the course so I'm not playing at that pace, and it only bothers me if the pace is over 4 hours.
That’s true if you’re continually walking, but a good chunk of time spent playing golf is stood in one spot choosing clubs, aiming, lining up putts, swinging watching for the ball etc.
Course length of 5400, shots taken I think was 74

sunshine

Visit site
That’s true if you’re continually walking, but a good chunk of time spent playing golf is stood in one spot choosing clubs, aiming, lining up putts, swinging watching for the ball etc.
Course length of 5400, shots taken I think was 74

I've often wondered how much of a round of golf is spent actually playing golf. This thought was triggered watching the rugby on TV, so much time is lost whenever there is a scrum, especially as it often has to be reset.

I suppose the way to do it is to take a stopwatch on to the course and record the time I spent on shot selection and execution, but I'm not curious enough to actually bother doing that :ROFLMAO:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Yours must be a very long course 😮