Bogey comps - why are they qualifiers?

wjemather

Visit site
It is a totally different game and really shouldn’t be a qualifier, in the same way matches aren’t.
Match play is acceptable for handicapping in many jurisdictions, made possible by the use of Most Likely Score - the unions in GB&I have little appetite to try and convince their members on that one just yet.

BunkerPlayer

Visit site
Slightly off topic but I think club better ball comps should be qualifiers... mark your own card as well and putt out unless you've blobbed.

Bogey though = devils game! My old club had a monthly bogey comp... vile

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We're still talking about golfers who are insufficiently skilled (at everything, including course management) for such decisions to significantly affect their score, let alone their handicap.
Which particular handicap golfers are you talking about?
I'd agree that someone playing off 54 isn't going to be affected.
What about someone playing off 2?
Are you suggesting that even a 2 handicapper isn't skilled enough for it to make a difference?
If not, where do you draw the line?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which particular handicap golfers are you talking about?
I'd agree that someone playing off 54 isn't going to be affected.
What about someone playing off 2?
Are you suggesting that even a 2 handicapper isn't skilled enough for it to make a difference?
If not, where do you draw the line?
Golf is a very mental sport.
Some treat this as matchplay against the course.
Some just shoot as low as they can.
It’s basically a medal with a Match on the side.

It’s a poor format imo if it’s a qualifying comp.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slightly off topic but I think club better ball comps should be qualifiers... mark your own card as well and putt out unless you've blobbed.

Bogey though = devils game! My old club had a monthly bogey comp... vile
Similar to bogey though - if you make 4BBB a qualifier, it just means the rounds are taking longer while everybody putts out, potentially for a double when their teammate already has a par. It's not exactly ideal while slow play is such a hot topic these days.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We only play it once a year as it is an honour board event over two days the Easter weekend each year. Been playing it for years and still waiting for the course to turn round and say that putts good!! Glad its only once a year but don't have any problem with it being a qualifier

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we used to have a bogey medal that really dwindled in numbers as no one ever got close to beating the course, last time i played which would have been at least 14 years ago the winner would be 5 down. then when we changed to WHS all of a sudden people were winning 8 and 9 up. it turned out the way we used to play wasnt the same as WHs calculated . Now people have a chance of winning its far more popular.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally don’t mind the format, it’s a good challenge and something different. I’ll sometimes play it if I’m out on my own, as something to measure how I'm doing without having to hole every putt (I’ll judge my own gimmies!). Just don’t think it should be a qualifier.

Anyway, I’ve had my moan now!

sjw

Visit site
Played in a bogey comp at the weekend, didn’t play very well and finished 5 down.

I’m not very experienced in these, I’ve only played in 1 before, but to me it’s matchplay against the course, a net par is a half, a net birdie is a win, and a net bogey is a loss. So I whenever i could only score a net bogey I picked up. Now just noticed the score has been entered on England golf. Is this normal?

For me it shouldn’t be a qualifier because your approach is totally different. If you’ve got a long putt or a chip for a net par, you’re really going for it, lags won’t get you anything. Similarly, a net eagle means nothing, so you’ll lag it to make sure you get the net birdie.

You don't score if you get a net eagle? Why?

D-S

Visit site
You don't score if you get a net eagle? Why?
You just win the hole, irrespective if it is a net birdie, eagle or albatross.
Hence it makes a lot of sense to lag an eagle putt as in a sense you have ‘two for the hole’.

sjw

Visit site
You just win the hole, irrespective if it is a net birdie, eagle or albatross.
Hence it makes a lot of sense to lag an eagle putt as in a sense you have ‘two for the hole’.
Ohhhh I see. That makes sense, I'd just misinterpreted what was written as you wouldn't win the hole with a net eagle, so you HAD to lag. Thought that sounded stupid!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tbh, I’m a boring golfer.

I rarely hammer putts to go for it (for the reasons above) nor do I take on ridiculous shots to salvage an unlikely par. Even off a 2.2 index, I just don’t feel that confident. If I shoot <75 I’ve played great, 76-79, steady but made a couple of mistakes , >80 (like I am right now) I’ve had a bad day at the office.

I play best in bogey when I treat them as a normal medal round.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Bogey Comps have always been qualifiers but pre WHS I’m sure it was scored differently for handicap purposes.

sunshine

Visit site
1. It's stroke play (albeit using scoring as in match play).
No it's match play vs. the course

2. You should have been advised (many times since the introduction of WHS, via comms from your handicap committee) to continue play and hole out (and record scores) with reference to your Course Handicap and nett double bogey in all acceptable (for handicapping) formats of play.
No point holing out for double bogey. If you can't make par you're done.

3. The vast majority of handicap golfers are insufficiently skilled for "going for it" or "lagging it" to have any significant effect on their score
Complete and utter tosh. You don't half post some rubbish on here.

Personally I don't mind submitting a card for a Bogey comp. I'm not really a fan of the format in comps, although I like to play it on my own in practice rounds.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's the format I generally play when making YouTube videos, over 6 holes the match usually reaches the last hole.

😮 Does this mean I should have been putting all these into WHS?

wjemather

Visit site
No it's match play vs. the course
No, it's stroke play vs. everyone else in the field, with scoring as match play. It's clearly defined in the rules.
No point holing out for double bogey. If you can't make par you're done.
You must continue for handicapping.
Complete and utter tosh. You don't half post some rubbish on here.
You don't agree - that's fine, but if the best reply you have is just insults, that's pretty weak.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It's the format I generally play when making YouTube videos, over 6 holes the match usually reaches the last hole.

😮 Does this mean I should have been putting all these into WHS?
Non-qualifiers, because you are using video devices to analyse your shots and too much delay (play must be continuous) while setting up the camera etc.
And have you not played some holes before some of those games start? - on-course practice disqualifies.
Anyway, you have put evidence of your scores for public viewing, so it is up to the handicapping authority to make any adjustments to your HI.

Just how high would you like that HI to go? :LOL: