13 weeks in - My first eagle. Had to share!

Bamberdele21

Visit site
So my first thread here was detailing the major progress I have achieved since taking up golf on March 29th this year which I’ve invested so much time and effort in a bid to get half decent.

The only course we could get on this morning with such short notice was a short course in Warwickshire called the Ardencote.

The only par 5 on the course - hole 4 - 450 yards I have hit my drive 290 leaving roughly a 160 yard shot on the green which I’ve struck with an 8 iron (I’ve got all my distances calculated using a V1 gps golf app). The putt that sank it was around 30 ft from the pin and took a huge break to drop in. I have absolutely lost my *** as you can imagine. I immediately put my ball away safe which I’m now getting framed. A seriously massive milestone where I’m glad I had witnesses there to see, one of them being my football manager which I’m sure will carry some shelf life whenever we have beers in the future.

I shot my best score to date on this round of 81.

This has come two weeks after my lowest point in golf. I dislocated my finger the day before my round at the Brabazon. Me playing this course was the one of the major reasons I took up golf to try and not look a fool when I played here. Sod’s law. I played the round anyway with a cast on my finger and shot my worst score to date. It really was a painful experience from a scoring point of view but I enjoyed myself none the less with a good bunch and a lot of banter.

So yeah I thought I’d just like to share this with anyone that could be bothered to read it because the misses is bored to death hearing about this eagle so here I am, trying to explain to someone reading just how good a feeling it’s been. Literally been on a high all day because of it.

Still very much learning the rules and how to play certain shots but I’m so hooked it’s not even funny.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Sounds brilliant! Always an amazing feeling getting something like that.

The buzz you can get from those good shots is unreal and I have the same problem with my wife, I get the usual response of 'aren't you meant to put the ball in the hole?' ?

Sounds like you're progressing quickly, enjoy the highs and learn from the lows ??

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Absolutely bloomin' brilliant! That's really got you hooked for life now, hasn't it?
Just wish I could hit a 290 yard drive. Never could. Need plenty of roll to get 250. Managed to putt from off the green for an eagle this year after two massive hits, for me, down wind on a 525 yarder. Easy birdie.
I can still remember my first par - 10th hole at Barnsley municipal 1970.
And my first birdie, same course the following year 15th hole par 5.
So yes, that eagle will stay with you forever, I think.
Very well done indeed.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Cheers chaps. Literally just ordered a little case and plaque for my ball. The list of first milestones for pars birdies eagles etc are now racking up. Next milestone for me is to break 80 but I know I’m a long way off yet. My 81 yesterday was on a very easy course and I’m currently not a member anywhere just enjoying what comes my way.

I’ve always thought of this game as the bipolar of mental health. Such highs and lows but just keeps you coming back for more. I played on Friday afternoon at a course called Hearsall in Coventry. 13th hole Par 4 I have driven the green 260 yards for a birdie. The next hole I have topped it and ended up in a stream 50 yards from the tee.

Just about sums up golf for me that. Loving it none the less. Can’t wait to see where it takes me in the future.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Congrats.

The games highs and lows are something about it that I find also keeps me going.

Similar to yourself fairly early on as member of this club I shot a 76 (8 birdies, 6 double bogeys and 4 pars) and it took me many more years to get anywhere near that score again.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Think I’ve only had 2 Eagles and the first took me over 10 years of playing so for you to get one already is good going.

One bit of advice give up trying to talk golf to the misses ?

I’ve played with guys who have been playing on and off for around 20 years who have never had an eagle, and they are much better players than me. So I am not going to lie it felt so good to accomplish this at such a fast rate knowing guys are still yet to tick this one off the list.

As for talking golf to the misses. It really is something I cannot help. I not only bore her to death but also pretty much anyone I come across who has played the game. I am hoping I talk much less golf in the future but this honeymoon phase doesn’t seem to be wearing off, if anything it’s getting worse.

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve played with guys who have been playing on and off for around 20 years who have never had an eagle, and they are much better players than me. So I am not going to lie it felt so good to accomplish this at such a fast rate knowing guys are still yet to tick this one off the list.

As for talking golf to the misses. It really is something I cannot help. I not only bore her to death but pretty much anyone I come across who has played the game. I am hoping I talk much less golf in the future but this honeymoon phase doesn’t seem to be wearing off, if anything it’s got worse.

Dont worry your learn? I gave up when I told my misses I nearly had a hole in one she said “ well it might just as well been 10 feet away”

Next time you get home from golf talk to the door you’ll get a better response ?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Dont worry your learn? I gave up when I told my misses I nearly had a hole in one she said “ well it might just as well been 10 feet away”

Next time you get home from golf talk to the door you’ll get a better response ?

The way I see it is at least i’m talking to her. If I talked to the door she would still moan about the door getting more attention than her ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
You've got to continue talking about your game to the missus. She will glaze over and not really be listening. That can not be avoided.
She will never come right out and say it, but she will be secretly reassured that you were actually playing golf for the last 4 to 5 hours.
She might get worried if you stop talking about your game. :unsure:

Bamberdele21

Visit site
You've got to continue talking about your game to the missus. She will glaze over and not really be listening. That can not be avoided.
She will never come right out and say it, but she will be secretly reassured that you were actually playing golf for the last 4 to 5 hours.
She might get worried if you stop talking about your game. :unsure:

I think I can use my golf talk to my advantage in other ways if I think about it. I’m sure men all over the world have been playing ‘golf’ when in reality not much golf actually happened.

Get your missus playing... holidays all become golf holidays after that!

Things could get a bit complicated with this as the main draw for me playing is to get away. As far away as possible. Without her in sight lol.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been playing golf a long time and don't have eagles very often, so well done.

Eagled our first hole a few weeks ago, it's a par 5.

My best 3 eagles were the holes in one. ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I think those last few posts have opened to door for the "450 yards is a par 4" comment ???
Sounds like you are hooked, must have been a great feeling. It's the beauty of the game that we can briefly feel like the pros. Enjoy.
I wasn't a new player like yourself but rejoined a club after a lengthy break, and after handing over the money went out for 9 holes (off yellow tees). Bizarrely on 5th & 6th I went eagle, birdie and posted on here that I'd never repeat it (years later I haven't ?). Received plenty of forum abuse - they ignored the doubles and triples that surrounded those two dream holes!