Cutting out the silly mistakes..

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob's example of thinning a PW is interesting. Since he's a pro, he probably hardly ever thins a shot. So his personal approach to laying up to water with a PW doesn't need to factor in the danger of thinning it. But mine certainly does.
If I'm 150 from the water there's little chance of me laying up, unless the pond is a 100 yard wide lake or I've got a bad lie

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If I'm 150 from the water there's little chance of me laying up, unless the pond is a 100 yard wide lake or I've got a bad lie
Touche! 😉

Just goes to show that course management for a pro is an entirely different kettle of fish than for me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never forget playing this one course , nice drive straight down the middle .. leaving 180 left into a green that's basically on same level as me but the fairway goes down to a water hazard then back up to the green .. 165 to carry 140 to lay up

Remember thinking right nice easy pitching wedge 100 yards then chip on
. Sensible

Hit the pw fine. However the ball just kept rolling , and rolling and rolling into the water

Should have just went for it and taken the hit if I'd gone in

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Old story to some on here but I played a GM final at Forest of Arden and because a lot of the par 4's were 420-450 off the white tees I decided to lay up on them all to around 100-120 where I was confident I could hit a reasonable 9 or PW onto the green and assume I could 2 putt (if not sneak the odd 1 putt) and so walk away with a net par and 2 points. doing so would reduce my chances of making a mistake and bringing double in and took the pressure off the drive as I knew I was laying up anyway so didn't feel the need to go for a glory shot if I hit a bad tee shot but just got it back into play as close to my preferred distance as possible

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One of the biggest mistakes I see on the course is handicap management.
By that I mean letting your handicap dictate what shot you play.

Bill has 170 to carry the water on a long par 4.
Thinks long and hard.
Checks the score card and lays up short of the water because he gets a stroke.
This may be sensible if Bill is off 25 and has a poor long game but not so good if he is a better player.
Letting your handicap dictate how you play is one good way of never beating your handicap.

If golf is a hobby that you play for fun, then have fun, take some risks, live a little...you might surprise yourself. (y)

Skytot

Visit site
Old story to some on here but I played a GM final at Forest of Arden and because a lot of the par 4's were 420-450 off the white tees I decided to lay up on them all to around 100-120 where I was confident I could hit a reasonable 9 or PW onto the green and assume I could 2 putt (if not sneak the odd 1 putt) and so walk away with a net par and 2 points. doing so would reduce my chances of making a mistake and bringing double in and took the pressure off the drive as I knew I was laying up anyway so didn't feel the need to go for a glory shot if I hit a bad tee shot but just got it back into play as close to my preferred distance as possible
Did you win ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thinks long and hard.
This may be sensible if Bill is off 25 and has a poor long game but not so good if he is a better player.
Letting your handicap dictate how you play is one good way of never beating your handicap.

If golf is a hobby that you play for fun, then have fun, take some risks, live a little...you might surprise yourself. (y)
Definitely agree with this. 'Using your shots' when it's not necessary is a weak mentality and a progress killer to my mind. I'll always go for the green unless it's a shot that I have a very low chance of pulling off successfully. For me a shot on a hole is simply to cover the mistake I'm likely to make - if I were to use that shot intentionally, it puts much more pressure on my short game and putting knowing that not getting up and down or three-putting is a double bogey.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Thinks long and hard.

I get what you're saying but if Bill is a better player he won't think twice about carrying 170 over a pond regardless of whether he's getting a shot or not.

mister v

Visit site
I just can’t stop screwing up, before every round I think just keep it in play, lay up if there’s to much danger going for a green and trust your chipping or putting but I just keep making doubles.. if its not a leaky drive it’s a hooked iron shot into the trees or a thinned wedge out the back or a 3 putt .

im off 13 and my good shots are good but I just keep messing up, sometimes its bad luck everyone gets that but I just don’t seem to be able to bring all the facets of my game together for one round.

I keep scoring around 90 give or take a few and keep getting 4-5 pars, 5-6 bogeys but always 7-8 doubles or worse. I know that I just need to swap out the doubles for pars and bogeys and I’d shoot low 80’s

But I keep screwing up!!! I really love golf but bloody hell its hard