Cutting out the silly mistakes..

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think so. I carry a 750ml bottle of water and generally finish it across 18 holes. When it's been high 20's in temperature I brought an extra 500ml as well. And I normally eat a Grenade protein bar around half-way round.
https://www.scienceinsport.com/sis-go-electrolyte-powder
I usually use this powder as well, as find that I struggle to drink just a load of water (and also if you are sweating, water doesn't have enough electrolyte replacement

WirralC

Visit site
Eating and drinking a little on the way round can help with concentration, pro's do it for that very reason. From what you've said, if it's not concentration then it just sounds like golf! I'd try to isolate each mistake and think what you can do to fix it. Thinned wedge in my experience is concentration, so focus on just making a good contact, overhit shots are likely not knowing your yardages so that ones relatively easy to fix.

It's a stupid game, I played the front 9 in +3 last week which is very very good for me (no handicap at the moment but probably 15ish), back 9 was +11 including 3 consectutive doubles. I have absolutely no idea what changed!

RichA

Visit site
https://www.scienceinsport.com/sis-go-electrolyte-powder
I usually use this powder as well, as find that I struggle to drink just a load of water (and also if you are sweating, water doesn't have enough electrolyte replacement
Cider and beer contain electrolytes and water and are generally better value for money than "sports" drinks.
They also lift your mood when you realise you're still in single figures on the 10th tee.

TigerTime

Visit site
Some interesting points.

However I think today’s round may have topped the lot, there is no logical explanation for this one..

4 birdies, including a run of 3 in a row (as a 14 index, what are the odds?!)

Did I break 80?

No, I shot 81

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some interesting points.

However I think today’s round may have topped the lot, there is no logical explanation for this one..

4 birdies, including a run of 3 in a row (as a 14 index, what are the odds?!)

Did I break 80?

No, I shot 81
Proof that it's not the birdies that matter..it's keeping the doubles at bay that is
Course management is way underrated as a concept.
Sometimes you just have to accept that a bogey is the best score you can make on a hole
The other day, on a par 3, I'd short-sided myself.
The shot was a pitch over a bunker onto a downslope..4 yards of green between bunker and flag...
Would have taken a miracle shot to get close - more likely thin into the bushes or fat it into the bunker
I played, almost, sideways, got my ball on the green and 2 putted.
Trying the miracle shot could have cost me much more

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Bob really puts things into perspective regarding on how to play. I personally think at times it is just a lot of poor decisions by players that is stopping them from being a single figure handicap. Some things that I have noticed are these:

You are in the fairway and the pin is 150 yards away and let's say it is an 8i. Bunker on the line of the pin with a 145 carry to clear it, if you hit a good 8i then the bunker is not a problem, but if caught slightly heavy you are in it. Problem is players will still go at that pin with an 8i. You need to choose between 2 options, either take a 7i and make sure the bunker is out of play or play away from the pin to the middle of the green with the 8i, knowing that if you don't catch it right it is just a simple chip and putt for par. Missing correctly is the difference, we are not good enough to play the shots that the tour pros play around the green, so avoid putting yourself in a position where you need to play one.

If the fairway gets a bit tight due to bunkers at your driver distance, then hit less club knowing that a bad shot is not going to get you in trouble and still leave a shot to the green.

I think that players need to go out with scratch and plus handicap players and just see how many bad shots they actually hit in a round. What keeps them at their handicaps is the ability to keep doubles of the card and make lots of pars.

Like Bob said boring golf is what is going to get you shooting lower.

Skytot

Visit site
I think Bob really puts things into perspective regarding on how to play. I personally think at times it is just a lot of poor decisions by players that is stopping them from being a single figure handicap. Some things that I have noticed are these:

You are in the fairway and the pin is 150 yards away and let's say it is an 8i. Bunker on the line of the pin with a 145 carry to clear it, if you hit a good 8i then the bunker is not a problem, but if caught slightly heavy you are in it. Problem is players will still go at that pin with an 8i. You need to choose between 2 options, either take a 7i and make sure the bunker is out of play or play away from the pin to the middle of the green with the 8i, knowing that if you don't catch it right it is just a simple chip and putt for par. Missing correctly is the difference, we are not good enough to play the shots that the tour pros play around the green, so avoid putting yourself in a position where you need to play one.

If the fairway gets a bit tight due to bunkers at your driver distance, then hit less club knowing that a bad shot is not going to get you in trouble and still leave a shot to the green.

I think that players need to go out with scratch and plus handicap players and just see how many bad shots they actually hit in a round. What keeps them at their handicaps is the ability to keep doubles of the card and make lots of pars.

Like Bob said boring golf is what is going to get you shooting lower.
This is very much Golf Sidekick philosophy

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I forgot to mention something....
If someone asks me what I hit, my answer normally starts with ''an easy....''
So, an easy 6 or an easy 8 etc.
And if your average green is 30 yds front to back and you are next to the 150, you are 165 to the back.
Call it 160 to make sure you carry the trouble at the front. So even though a well struck 7 will reach the middle, there's a better chance of me hitting an easy 6 well which still finds the green.
Bottom line....don't try and force a 7 when an easy 6 will do.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Proof that it's not the birdies that matter..it's keeping the doubles at bay that is
+1
The best round I ever had was a 77 (on a par 69 course). No birdies, just 10 pars and 8 bogies.
(But I don't recall being especially careful that day. Probably just a case of being lucky not to cock up).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Course management is way underrated as a concept.

Sometimes you just have to accept that a bogey is the best score you can make on a hole
The other day, on a par 3, I'd short-sided myself.
The shot was a pitch over a bunker onto a downslope..4 yards of green between bunker and flag...
Would have taken a miracle shot to get close - more likely thin into the bushes or fat it into the bunker
I played, almost, sideways, got my ball on the green and 2 putted.
Trying the miracle shot could have cost me much more

Yeah I tend to believe that birdies have a chunk of luck to them (at least at my level) So I can’t really count on getting any even on a day I’m playing well

But even on a good day a double (or two) will all too easily sneak in. So as I mentioned earlier, for me its getting the bogeys into pars that give me biggest gains. Afterall I'll have maybe 10+ chances to turn a bogey into a par but only 1 or 2 chances to turn a double into a bogey (maybe schoolboy logic :p )

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I was in my prime someone once said to me 'even your bad shots are good, you don't make many mistakes do you'.
Keep the ball in play, never hit two consecutive bad shots and play to the strengths of you ability was my mantra.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I forgot to mention something....
If someone asks me what I hit, my answer normally starts with ''an easy....''
So, an easy 6 or an easy 8 etc.

And if your average green is 30 yds front to back and you are next to the 150, you are 165 to the back.
Call it 160 to make sure you carry the trouble at the front. So even though a well struck 7 will reach the middle, there's a better chance of me hitting an easy 6 well which still finds the green.
Bottom line....don't try and force a 7 when an easy 6 will do.
What does this actually mean in real terms? You swing slower on it? This never works for me, if I try and take a bit off by slowing down I just chunk it. I usually take plenty of club and aim for the backs of greens anyway as more margin for error, but my swing is pretty slow already so if I tried slowing it down more I probably wouldn't get the ball off the ground. Best I can do when I want to take a bit off is grip an inch further down. (And try not to thin it!)

Regarding the other points people make about course management - it seems 9 times out of 10 that's what people say when it comes to cutting out double bogeys, but I think course management is the bit I'm good at already. My doubles seem to come from a truly awful shot that's come out of nowhere, and/or compounded with a three-putt.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What does this actually mean in real terms? You swing slower on it? This never works for me, if I try and take a bit off by slowing down I just chunk it. I usually take plenty of club and aim for the backs of greens anyway as more margin for error, but my swing is pretty slow already so if I tried slowing it down more I probably wouldn't get the ball off the ground. Best I can do when I want to take a bit off is grip an inch further down. (And try not to thin it!)

Regarding the other points people make about course management - it seems 9 times out of 10 that's what people say when it comes to cutting out double bogeys, but I think course management is the bit I'm good at already. My doubles seem to come from a truly awful shot that's come out of nowhere, and/or compounded with a three-putt.

Dunno if its what Bob means but I've always thought it meant, don't do that thing that Rick Sheils does on every vid and try and force an 8 iron when he has a perfectly serviceable 7 iron in the bag :LOL:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It’s just not possible to cut out silly mistakes, even the best will have it , people naturally drop concentration

But the key thing is once you have made a mistake you don’t compound it with a second one

bogeys are scores that you can get over - doubles aren’t

The weekend for me was perfect example - I had two doubles in the first 3 holes through a combination of poor mistakes and sheer bad luck

If you have made a mistake on a single shot - they the next shot look to play the sensible shot , keep the ball in play

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What does this actually mean in real terms? You swing slower on it?
If you feel more comfortable with a full swing do it, but my next question would be...what do you do when you're 50 yards away?
My doubles seem to come from a truly awful shot that's come out of nowhere, and/or compounded with a three-putt.
That's where a good pre shot routine (psr) comes into its own...If I do this, this and this, I'll hit a good shot.
Don't hit a bad shot and think I forgot to do so and so.
Of course you have to know your own swing and that takes practice.
From what you've said, I'd say keep your head still should be high on your psr list

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It’s just not possible to cut out silly mistakes, even the best will have it , people naturally drop concentration

But the key thing is once you have made a mistake you don’t compound it with a second one

bogeys are scores that you can get over - doubles aren’t

The weekend for me was perfect example - I had two doubles in the first 3 holes through a combination of poor mistakes and sheer bad luck

If you have made a mistake on a single shot - they the next shot look to play the sensible shot , keep the ball in play

All true
The really tough part is when that ‘mistake on one shot’ already costs the player 2 shots (i.e stroke and distance / 3 off the tee)
Most players when hitting a fat/thin etc it just turns any chance of par into a bogey & that’s fine. But 3 off the tee is a different beast.

You single figure guys can often still target bogey (maybe even par) when 3 off the tee (not jealous at all) But us folks with less ability its a double/triple at best, all from one errant shot

(I’ve always felt a bit of injustice at S&D, it feels like a real treble kick in the clackerbag. I’ve got to reload from same place and give a penalty stroke to the field and I’ve lost a piggen ball!) :mad:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you feel more comfortable with a full swing do it, but my next question would be...what do you do when you're 50 yards away?

That's where a good pre shot routine (psr) comes into its own...If I do this, this and this, I'll hit a good shot.
Don't hit a bad shot and think I forgot to do so and so.
Of course you have to know your own swing and that takes practice.
From what you've said, I'd say keep your head still should be high on your psr list
50 yards is a half-swing 50° for me, but that's a totally different shot and different process. What I struggle with is hitting like a 90% or 80% swing. As I say, I'd just grip down the longer club an inch or two to achieve this so that I can swing normally.

Yeah - I do think the swing changes I made earlier in the year have been good, but it is that mental checklist to remember to do it each time, if I switch off for a second I'm back to hitting out-to-in and slicing the ball.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
All true
The really tough part is when that ‘mistake on one shot’ already costs the player 2 shots (i.e stroke and distance / 3 off the tee)
Most players when hitting a fat/thin etc it just turns any chance of par into a bogey & that’s fine. But 3 off the tee is a different beast.

You single figure guys can often still target bogey (maybe even par) when 3 off the tee (not jealous at all) But us folks with less ability its a double/triple at best, all from one errant shot

(I’ve always felt a bit of injustice at S&D, it feels like a real treble kick in the clackerbag. I’ve got to reload from same place and give a penalty stroke to the field and I’ve lost a piggen ball!) :mad:

And that’s why you will get shots in a competition on these holes

Yes lower guys will try and still get a bogey but with shots then the higher handicaps can still get a net bogey

3 off the tee is a kick in the nads