GIR (or not)

sunshine

Visit site
Yeah it would, but I've no desire to consistently shoot a higher gross (with the associated higher handicap) to get a better nett score. I see zero enjoyment in any aspect of that

Golf is supposed to be fun. Do what you think is most fun... if you don't find it fun to be beaten up by the course, then keep doing what you're doing!

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Plenty of chaps at my club around HI 13 who hit driver 200 yds and a 30° iron 140 yds. Some shorter distances than that.

I concur. I can think of players who hit these distance who are off 8 or 9, and my course is over 6,500 yards so similar to OP. These players are very consistent, straight off the tee, they may make bogey on every par 4 over 380 yards, but then make par on the other holes.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My distance gaps on the course seem ok, 7I is 28degree, 6 is 25, 5 is 22 & 4 is 19, then 3w at 16, driver at 11.5
Might be a bit pedantic but those are not distance gaps, they are loft gaps :cool:

In response to your original question, one solution you missed is to move house and play somewhere less windy. This would also please members of the forum, myself included, as you would be less inclined to gloat about the nice weather when we are sat inside looking at the rain come down again! :love:

sunshine

Visit site
My problem is I score an average 10+ shots higher from the comp tees

Nobody has really mentioned this, which I think is a big flaw in the system. In my experience, course rating and slope does not factor in nearly enough adjustment for difficult courses.

Royal St Georges is par 70, off the daily tees (not medal) it is CR71 slope 129. My 18 handicap mate who hits it 200 yards couldn't even reach some of the fairways, he was driving it into thick rough or bunkers marking the start of the fairway. He was getting 22 shots, only a couple more than a run of the mill course, but needed 32.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Might be a bit pedantic but those are not distance gaps, they are loft gaps :cool:

In response to your original question, one solution you missed is to move house and play somewhere less windy. This would also please members of the forum, myself included, as you would be less inclined to gloat about the nice weather when we are sat inside looking at the rain come down again! :love:

Yeah I wondered if @VVega was assuming my driver was a bit short based on my 7iron distance & maybe thinking my 7iron loft in the 30's rather than the strong 28 it is

2nd bold, don't be too jealous, it cost me the thick end of 60 quid for sun cream last week 🥵

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nobody has really mentioned this, which I think is a big flaw in the system. In my experience, course rating and slope does not factor in nearly enough adjustment for difficult courses.

Royal St Georges is par 70, off the daily tees (not medal) it is CR71 slope 129. My 18 handicap mate who hits it 200 yards couldn't even reach some of the fairways, he was driving it into thick rough or bunkers marking the start of the fairway. He was getting 22 shots, only a couple more than a run of the mill course, but needed 32.

Yeah I'd agree (at least in my case)

Par 72
Comp Tee - CR/Slope 70.8/126 @ 6,410yrds, CH =14
Tee forward - CR/Slope 68.6/122 @ 5,950yrds, CH =11

Having 5 par 5's will help the low handicaps scoring

The system has a tough job and cant just make huge differences for a few hundred yards but the reality of those few hundred yards is massive in terms of how it plays

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah I wondered if @VVega was assuming my driver was a bit short based on my 7iron distance & maybe thinking my 7iron loft in the 30's rather than the strong 28 it is
Just based on yardages (not lofts).

The LPGA average for 7i and the driver is 143 and 223 respectively. Lofts don’t matter as much, in my view, 7i is the middle of the bag so assumes a certain gap between it and the top (driver).

In other words, if you have enough speed / strike quality to hit 7i 140, the driver could be 220 at least? Just a thought.

sunshine

Visit site
Just as an example, same club head speed but better strike and spin: from 227yds carry to over 280…

All I’m saying that those players have potential to hit longer drives :cool:

Funny how they conveniently forget that his first swing with current driver goes 270.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn't this simply because longer clubs expose swing flaws?
Your OP was asking for suggestions to address the challenge of playing from a longer tee.

Given your 7i distance, it appears that the driver distance can be improved - a low hanging fruit, it seems.

Ultimately, only you can choose what suggestions work for you :cool: