How fast or slow are you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…it all depends…🤔😘

I can’t recall last time I did 18 by myself, playing one ball and taking it ‘seriously’ (bothering that much about putts). I play a lot of ‘mix and match’ golf, few holes here, few there, sometimes 5, 9, 14 whatever; two balls, sometimes a 3rd on some shots, to fit with what I want to achieve (if anything) out of my time on the course.

Doubt I’d do a ‘proper’ round in 1:41 but I might do about 2hrs (6600yds)

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
In my 20’s/30’s/40’s I’d whizz round as a single. I can’t remember playing a full 18 holes as a single after that.

However, the last few times I walked in a 4 ball I found myself trailing the other 3 players up the last few holes. Loved to be able to play faster but just not physically capable of it. And it really is a shame to hear the odd comment about slow play under those circumstances. Being 15-20 yards behind your playing partners isn’t fun, especially if you’ve always been conscious of pace of play and where you are ‘in the field.’ That said, us coffin dodgers are quick on the green compared to the surveyors who stalk the green for a week.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've never really set a timer on a walking round

Garmin does it automatically but checking the stats I cant remember which I walked and which i took buggy and how many were in the group

Its about 12km for a round so its not comparable to the OPs course which assuming he has average steps i think is about 8km so as a single on empty course I'd need to add a minimum of 50 minutes to that time.

I'd think that makes the OPs time on an small empty course about average & not particularly fast or slow

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played my course on my own and got round in about 2 hours when it wasn't very busy. My course is pretty short - for a three-ball we don't expect to take any longer than 3.5 hours. I don't rush but I'm a comparatively quick player I think.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Average?

Too many variable surely....

Length of course, layout of course, length of ones legs, softness of ground, wind direction, skill of golfer, distractions, flexibility of ones back, location of ball-washers, length of grass, method of keeping score, type of bag etc etc

ThinBullet

Visit site
I tried it once, out solo on a rainy Monday morning, and got round in just over 2 hours. Lots of walking between tees on the front 9. That was me carrying my bag, so I'm not sure what it would be now with the elec trolley.
Our 3 ball medal group get round in 4 hours 10-20mins usually on a Saturday. That's with a 30 HC who is 62 years old.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There is a guy at our place who is unbelievably quick. He always plays by himself in the afternoon, and he walks so quickly it's almost a jog. I was immediately behind him yesterday, by the time I was on the 7th tee (about 45 minutes in), he was tootling down the 11th.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fastest ever round for me (I use a buggy) was 1 hour 10 minutes with a gross 2 over, I only came across one other group on the course and they let me through as soon as they saw me behind them.
When playing as a two balls with no hold ups my mate and regularly used to get round in about two and half hours (walking pre my buggy days) and many a time we were sat on the steps waiting for the bar to open.
Many years ago the club required that Saturday morning round took no longer than 3hrs 20 minutes

I used to view any round over three and half hours as a long round but as per bobmac those days are gone.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
im a fairly quick player, but i don't play on my own every often.

Golf for me is a social game and best enjoyed with partners especially in a matchplay. last time i played a quite evening with one other we were round in just under 2 hours, but there was no one on the course, played a few days later on a sunday and we were almost 4 hours as a two ball. both were off the white tee 6400, both us are 3 handicaps

JonITFC

Visit site
Managed to get round solo one evening at my local in 2 hours 10 mins, quite a lot of walking between holes. Played my best round too must enjoy playing alone! Plays around 6300 yards.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was out this morning myself and it was cold so was playing quite fast to keep warm. Finished in 2 hours and think that’s about as fast as I could play.
Fastest ever round for me (I use a buggy) was 1 hour 10 minutes with a gross 2 over, I only came across one other group on the course and they let me through as soon as they saw me behind them.
When playing as a two balls with no hold ups my mate and regularly used to get round in about two and half hours (walking pre my buggy days) and many a time we were sat on the steps waiting for the bar to open.
Many years ago the club required that Saturday morning round took no longer than 3hrs 20 minutes

I used to view any round over three and half hours as a long round but as per bobmac those days are gone.
It’s a special skill to putt out on 18 just as the bar opens.🤣