is this normal? dress code question

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
common sense should have prevailed - the only problem is that common sense isn't as common as we all believe..........................

D

Deleted member 21258

Bizarre reaction from the pro. If a golfer wears a golfing jumper / sweater, I presume there is no rule to say what sort of t-shirt / vest they must wear underneath? So, I presume the same must be true if a golfer is wearing a jacket. The only caveat being that, if they were to take their jumper / jacket off during the round, a more strict club will act if they are playing in a collarless t-shirt / vest.

As has also been mentioned, a few golfers will wear a neck high jumper / jacket or even a snood at this time of year. So, who cares if a t-shirt has a collar or not?

I wonder of the pro is simply a "snooty" individual, or he is under strict authority by "snooty" members to enforces a very strict policy?

I think it is the opposite way round for most clubs, then what you imply.

Most have rules over the T shirt part(irrelevant of what you wear on top or underneath the T shirt) but jumper/sweater/coats/vests etc I don't ever remember being mentioned on any golf dress codes I have read(Edit apart from if they are wet/muddy clothing or waterproof trousers).

hope that helps.

3puttpercy

Visit site
A top 20 member of the European tour was invited by a friend of mine to his club in Middlesex when he was playing in the BMW at Wentworth for a drink.
The secretary walked into the bar and saw the pro was wearing jeans (A very expensive pair) he asked him to finish his drink and leave .
The very embarrassed member - who is a friend - resigned on the spot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A top 20 member of the European tour was invited by a friend of mine to his club in Middlesex when he was playing in the BMW at Wentworth for a drink.
The secretary walked into the bar and saw the pro was wearing jeans (A very expensive pair) he asked him to finish his drink and leave .

Last year we significantly relaxed our dress code for the clubhouse - can now wear jeans (clean) and trainers (clean). I think it works well for those who might just pop into the club for a drink or bite to eat when they are not playing. A couple of our roll-up gang also now turn up in jeans - get changed for golf - and back to jeans after playing. No big deal. No good reason for it not to be so. Just need to have 'clean' respected. We are still 'no tee-shirts' in clubhouse though - I think as just too variable what tee-shirts folks could wear.

Swango1980

Visit site
If I was secretary, I'd have been asking him for his photo, and permission to use it in the club and on social media as a way to publicise the club. I wonder if other members of his committee would have agreed with his decision to kick him out??

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Last year we significantly relaxed our dress code for the clubhouse - can now wear jeans (clean) and trainers (clean). I think it works well for those who might just pop into the club for a drink or bite to eat when they are not playing. A couple of our roll-up gang also now turn up in jeans - get changed for golf - and back to jeans after playing. No big deal. No good reason for it not to be so. Just need to have 'clean' respected. We are still 'no tee-shirts' in clubhouse though - I think as just too variable what tee-shirts folks could wear.

Unless its you're own additions, I think it's a bit unreal that your club has so little confidence in its members and guests (adults for the most part) that it actually has to be stipulated in a code that clothing/footwear has to be clean :confused:
I guess sometime before 'clean' was added to the code it was an absolute nightmare with folks climbing out the pit or stopping by after mucking out the coos and messing up the furniture etc

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless its you're own additions, I think it's a bit unreal that your club has so little confidence in its members and guests (adults for the most part) that it actually has to be stipulated in a code that clothing/footwear has to be clean :confused:
I guess sometime before 'clean' was added to the code it was an absolute nightmare with folks climbing out the pit or stopping by after mucking out the coos and messing up the furniture etc

Extract from our dress code...no mention of clean jeans - but perhaps an unsaid said :)

...please note that any smart casual clothing, including denim, is acceptable in the clubhouse...we do ask golfers to change from their soft spikes during the winter and wet weather to prevent grass and mud being brought into the clubhouse. Clean trainers and modern pimpled golf shoes are perfectly acceptable.

sunshine

Visit site
the guy removed his scalf and galvin green jacket. he was left wearing a plain black collarless t-shirt. the pro said he couldn't play as he wasn't wearing the correct cloths.

Too right. Turning up in a scarf (or scalf) is outrageous. Surely only cravats are acceptable.

;)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Weary, what does it honestly matter, not like they've rocked up in trackies, sleeveless vest and flip flops.