Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

D

Deleted member 15344

No, I first just stopped frequenting the clubhouse, then changed playing partners a few time and then quit and left. Do you really think that any person would be made welcome in a club if they kept reporting 70s era social attitudes to the committee.

It’s a shame to see that someone is losing the will to play a sport based on how people act - and it sounds like the club has a committee that isn’t fit for purpose
As for safeguarding and compliance, I have seen loud conversations with both racist and sexist humour in golf club bars with not even a tut from the committee members past and prestent there but, hey, ist all jokes and banter.

As before - that seems like an issue with the committee not being fit for purpose

And, just because it goes on elsewhere is not a defence but I have, whilst sexism was a massive issue withn my 40 years in and around rugby clubs, seen more examples of casual and specific racism, anti LGBT and other forms of general biggotry in 15 years in around around golf clubs than in a lifetime of rugby membership. In fact now rugby clubs have changed beyond recognition with the ones that I still visit being very family friendly with the old rugby attitudes all but gone. In fact, family attendance is very much encouraged, and you can wear what you like.

The point i was trying to make that it’s more a society issue than an issue that’s just seen in golf clubs - a group of men together in settings can act like idiots and think some jokes are still ok , but that’s not limited to golf clubs and imo it’s not an issue with golf clubs - that’s an issue with humanity.

My daughter goes up the club with me at times , wears what she wants , has a bit of a putt , something to eat etc and we see it regularly especially on weekends where there are lots of kids around at times

But, your point of view is clear, golf clubs are perfect, the rules are perfect, attitudes are perfect and dress codes are perfect, golf tours are perfect, everyting is just aweome. I have a different attitude and eventually stood by my convictions and walked away and on that basis feel I am in a position to objectively question such matters.

I don’t think golf clubs are perfect , I play at many over the year and I don’t see any that act in the way you are suggesting -that doesn’t mean they are perfect but there are far from the epicentre of bigotry and racism. As portrayed.

Dress codes at clubs vary - I’m ok with following what they set out , some clubs I won’t play in the summer because of the long sock rule which I don’t like , I stopped going to club matches because of jacket and tie , but they changed that.

No sport is perfect , they will all have something that someone won’t like - but any changes needed to come from within but I don’t see it being the horrific sport that some portray , at times I’m unsure why they play it when everything is so bad about it

But looking at the healthy state of clubs and the sport at the moment maybe the club and sport isn’t all bad

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As stated before I am not bothered by dress codes and am quite happy we don't have one. But having seen that video what amused me is that an early middle aged man thinks dress codes are outmoded and will put people off and the two young lads who he is playing pitch up in classical respectable golf attire.
I suspect it's olderblokes who complain most about it on behalf of the young who are less bothered.
Not saying that middle aged blokes should have more restrictions but that it is generally less of a problem than some perceive it.

Suspect the kids knew they were on film and probably received some sort of briefing from Crossfield

sunshine

Visit site
If the game was invented tomorrow and the apparel manufacturers were tasked with coming up with the most appropriate clothing for the players to wear for a game played globally, outdoors in all climates, for players of all ages and genders & in all weathers, lasting several hours, involving freedom of swing movement and a 10km walk

Would they come up with a base level of; casual tailored trousers a ‘polo’ shirt with a ‘baseball’ cap… Probably not

Manufactures are (gently) pushing boundaries and will continue doing so, but they’re working from an outdated start point

Bingo.

Imagine going into a sports shop or outdoor shop and asking for a pair of shoes for 10k walks across a field. They wouldn’t recommend a pair of footjoy icons.

Attachments

• 7155347F-E469-43EF-8DFA-4840E9672F60.jpeg
    7155347F-E469-43EF-8DFA-4840E9672F60.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 4
D

Deleted member 15344

Bingo.

Imagine going into a sports shop or outdoor shop and asking for a pair of shoes for 10k walks across a field. They wouldn’t recommend a pair of footjoy icons.

Lovely shoes - so comfy to wear

The newer model are even nicer and the comfiest shoes I have had

8ED8AC51-4B0C-475C-8C85-27071A69D6EC.jpeg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Rules are the fabric of modern society, following those rules is what I would expect to see from any decent citizen

Golf is a sport whose integrity is founded on people following the rules set out by the sport and by the clubs and I will always ask if someone refused to follow a rule by the club what other rule will they refuse to follow - basically because they think it inconveniences them

When it comes to golf and rules we have a choice - if you don’t like the rules set by the club then ask for them to be changed by going through the process - if they don’t then follow the rules or move to a new club. That’s showing the very bare minimum of respect

I’m not happy with all the rules and at times it’s gone through AGM’s to change them and then it’s up to the members to decide

it’s always the same with dress codes or shoe changing etc - be respectful and have the common decency as a human being to follow the rules they set out , none of them are going to cause you any harm or pain
Absolutely every word spot on sir!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Absolutely every word spot on sir!
I dont think its the full story. Law has to have a solid basis, clarity, and equity, to be respected. Not dropping a ball in the rough when no one is looking, or toeing a sand shot on to a nice tee, pose no problem.
But the dress issue does. Particulary when the woolly arguments like 'tradition', 'standards', and worst of all 'well, they are the rules' are the best that seem to be mustered. They are not answers at all. Nobody is arguing at an AGM for Mulligans, or no penalty shots for out of bounds. But a better explanation from supporters of, or committees maintaining such dress codes/rules, other than 'thats always been the way here at Backwards GC', should be offered.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I dont think its the full story. Law has to have a solid basis, clarity, and equity, to be respected. Not dropping a ball in the rough when no one is looking, or toeing a sand shot on to a nice tee, pose no problem.
But the dress issue does. Particulary when the woolly arguments like 'tradition', 'standards', and worst of all 'well, they are the rules' are the best that seem to be mustered. They are not answers at all. Nobody is arguing at an AGM for Mulligans, or no penalty shots for out of bounds. But a better explanation from supporters of, or committees maintaining such dress codes/rules, other than 'thats always been the way here at Backwards GC', should be offered.

You sometimes have to remember that many on here have been conditioned to follow rules and orders without question.

JGolfer

Visit site
Club I am at rule is “Aslong as it’s designed for golf it’s okay” but top must have a collar and be tucked in. Which we receive regular emails around.

When I was joining asked around golf hoodies etc, all deemed okay.

My second club has no dress code, only rule no sports tops, or denim, anything else is fine so long as you look presentable.

Personally I think most people would wear presentable stuff with or without a dress code (my second course where there isn’t a dress code, I have yet to see anyone wear anything I wouldn’t class as golfy)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
We are going off tack a little here but if your product is good enough, bar area, food and drink on offer at fair pricing, then there is no need for levies. Get the product right, don't try to strong arm members.

We have a bar levy and a joining fee so we must be an absolutely dreadful place; not sure how that sits with the 100+ people on the waiting list?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Club I am at rule is “Aslong as it’s designed for golf it’s okay” but top must have a collar and be tucked in. Which we receive regular emails around.

When I was joining asked around golf hoodies etc, all deemed okay.

My second club has no dress code, only rule no sports tops, or denim, anything else is fine so long as you look presentable.

Personally I think most people would wear presentable stuff with or without a dress code (my second course where there isn’t a dress code, I have yet to see anyone wear anything I wouldn’t class as golfy)
The tucking in of shirts is one I find particularly ridiculous. Most of my polos are not long enough to stay tucked in, and I have more freedom of movement and coolness from the heat with them out. It's grown men being treated like schoolchildren.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
So what do the great and the good of the forum think of this? EF9E623F-12B8-4774-8FAB-360D9E1F26A2.jpeg

And this is at a public establishment, where everyone should be allowed to come in, not a private member’s club where they can set there own rules.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
And whilst we’re about it, I presume those ignoring dress codes have no issue with this;

4E6CB27F-2ABC-44EF-93CD-213F28849F3E.jpeg

Clearly not a motorcycle but not a problem ignoring the rules, as long as their car is safe sod the motorcyclists.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
And whilst we’re about it, I presume those ignoring dress codes have no issue with this;

View attachment 43688

Clearly not a motorcycle but not a problem ignoring the rules, as long as their car is safe sod the motorcyclists.
You have to hope that car park has clamping rules. I'm guessing the person doesn't care about a fine, cheaper than a respray for a door.......

As to your point. The car driver is inconveniencing other people. Wearing a shirt without a collar, or cargo shorts instead of tailored shorts has no material impact on anyone else.