Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep I’m fine with it

It’s exactly how our club works

I wouldn't be comfortable with that, even though I choose to spend about as much in the clubhouse as I do on membership.
Main reason is that if the food/service was poor I would not use the facilities. It's not right to assume everyone wants to use the bar etc.
Some people are limited for time due to family or work reasons. Why should they be forced to pay for something they can't use. This extra expense might well put people off the game.

D-S

Visit site
Nah, that is different, or at least it should be.
How about the parallel in a lot of Clubs that all your competition winnings are paid as credit in the Pro Shop irrespective of whether you want to spend your money there or not. Unfair perhaps, but that’s what you have signed up for.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How about the parallel in a lot of Clubs that all your competition winnings are paid as credit in the Pro Shop irrespective of whether you want to spend your money there or not. Unfair perhaps, but that’s what you have signed up for.
You are assuming that people win in comps that are optional to enter.
Totally different to a compulsory bar levy.

D

Deleted member 15344

I wouldn't be comfortable with that, even though I choose to spend about as much in the clubhouse as I do on membership.
Main reason is that if the food/service was poor I would not use the facilities. It's not right to assume everyone wants to use the bar etc.
Some people are limited for time due to family or work reasons. Why should they be forced to pay for something they can't use. This extra expense might well put people off the game.

Don’t think we have ever had someone leave because of the £50 levy or someone not join because of the £50 levy

If people don’t want to use the bar etc then they will lose the money , if they have any issues with it then they aren’t forced to be members.

It’s not a hidden levy but we find that members use the facilities anyway

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don’t think we have ever had someone leave because of the £50 levy or someone not join because of the £50 levy

If people don’t want to use the bar etc then they will lose the money , if they have any issues with it then they aren’t forced to be members.

It’s not a hidden levy but we find that members use the facilities anyway

Why not just raise the fees?

You said you don't think...
And that "you" find members use the facilities?

Do you have stats? Are you on council?

My club has about 900 members, that is a lot of "extra" money.

Is your bar/catering franchised?

D

Deleted member 15344

You said you don't think...
And that "you" find members use the facilities?

Do you have stats? Are you on council?

My club has about 900 members, that is a lot of "extra" money.

Is your bar/catering franchised?

Yes I’m on the committee and our bar catering is not a franchise

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Marketing a guess. Much more palatable to quote a member ship fee of X. "Oh, and theres a bar levy of Y but of course thats credit so you will get it all back"
Rather than a membership headline number of X+Y.

LIke car rental. X per day ! Super. "Oh, you want tyres on the wheels ? That option is only Y extra, shall I add it on" ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had a bar levy added to our membership this year - but if I remember rightly there was some incentive added that if you pay up before the renewal date they add more to that bar tab for you for free. I was quite happy with that since I always stop for a pint anyway! I've already used what was added within 3 months.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

I don't have a problem with it any more. Our levy is £50, it's been the same for the last 15 years. When I first joined, I didn't really use the clubhouse, mainly because I didn't know anyone. I didn't like the levy because I didn't use it. 15 years on, that levy disappears in the first month of the year. I pay my membership monthly, the levy is included, even if it was removed, I'm only saving £4 a month, that's one bacon roll from the halfway hut or one round of drinks a month, more than easily used these days. I generally only use the bar once a week, occasionally twice, but I visit the halfway nearly every round, sometimes before and during, the levy is just a credit that gets used. Now I just see the levy as a part of my membership, it doesn't even register as a separate payment.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If the game was invented tomorrow and the apparel manufacturers were tasked with coming up with the most appropriate clothing for the players to wear for a game played globally, outdoors in all climates, for players of all ages and genders & in all weathers, lasting several hours, involving freedom of swing movement and a 10km walk

Would they come up with a base level of; casual tailored trousers a ‘polo’ shirt with a ‘baseball’ cap… Probably not

Manufactures are (gently) pushing boundaries and will continue doing so, but they’re working from an outdated start point

RichA

Visit site
If the game was invented tomorrow and the apparel manufacturers were tasked with coming up with the most appropriate clothing for the players to wear for a game played globally, outdoors in all climates, for players of all ages and genders & in all weathers, lasting several hours, involving freedom of swing movement and a 10km walk

Would they come up with a base level of; casual tailored trousers a ‘polo’ shirt with a ‘baseball’ cap… Probably not

Manufactures are (gently) pushing boundaries and will continue doing so, but they’re working from an outdated start point
Now that I've mostly retired from cricket, I might start wearing my whites to play golf. Probably more suitable than most traditional golf attire.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I don't think any clothing will work for all weathers but that level works remarkably well for me in a British summer and is eminently practical.
Polo shirt affords short sleeves and easy movement and a collar provides neck protection from sunburn.
Baseball cap protects my scalp from sun and occasional rain and shades my eyes.
Casual trousers allow ready movement protect my skin from bushes when I enter the rough and can be worn off the course easily.
Not suggesting it's the only possible combination and have no strong opinions about dress codes but I would be more irritated if I was told I could not wear that combination than if I was told I had to wear it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't think any clothing will work for all weathers but that level works remarkably well for me in a British summer and is eminently practical.
Polo shirt affords short sleeves and easy movement and a collar provides neck protection from sunburn.
Baseball cap protects my scalp from sun and occasional rain and shades my eyes.
Casual trousers allow ready movement protect my skin from bushes when I enter the rough and can be worn off the course easily.
Not suggesting it's the only possible combination and have no strong opinions about dress codes but I would be more irritated if I was told I could not wear that combination than if I was told I had to wear it.

I agree it does a decent job in that climate (& yes of course there's no one solution for different climates)

what i was hypothetical suggesting is; if golf was a new game with the requirements i listed, would the manufactures start by taking a shirt designed for tennis players and a hat designed for baseball players... or might they just start with a blank sheet and design clothing specifically for golfers?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
My golf clubs and shoes live in the boot of my car. Yesterday I visited my sisters house that is one street down from my golf course. I was wearing a round neck plain blue t-shirt (with a under armour logo) and a pair of Oakley board shorts. I went to the shop for milk and bumped into 2 fellow members. They said they are on the way to the course for a quick 9 holes and invited me to play.
I had to say no because of what I was wearing. Isn't this what's wrong with golf?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My golf clubs and shoes live in the boot of my car. Yesterday I visited my sisters house that is one street down from my golf course. I was wearing a round neck plain blue t-shirt (with a under armour logo) and a pair of Oakley board shorts. I went to the shop for milk and bumped into 2 fellow members. They said they are on the way to the course for a quick 9 holes and invited me to play.
I had to say no because of what I was wearing. Isn't this what's wrong with golf?

This was my issue. I used to drive past the club to go somewhere else for lunch at a weekend because I had jeans on, I could be heading out of town and feel like 9 holes but never did as I would have to do a 25 mile round trip to get changed. My opportunities to play each week are limited so to miss out for this reason really nagged at me.

On the lunch thing as well, never took my wife for lunch at the club because she could not wear jeans. that is what she wears, even for work she can wear smart jeans. She is not going to put a dress on to go for a plate of sandwiches and so going to a golf club for a non golfing woman was very difficult.

Anyway, as people have said, if you do not like the rules, don't join the club and that is why I am now a nomad and will remain so until there is a club in reasonable travelling distance that fits the criteria I want as I have found that trying to shoehorn myself into some often narrow minded definitions of what clubs wanted me to be as a member just did not sit well.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is one thing, certainly. But the root of the issue being conservatism and snobbery is why manufacturers cannot push the boundary on what is acceptable for those clubs who have limits. The limits are not defined by current fashion, function, or convenience. But but maintaining continuity with standards of the past. New designs or innovations cannot change those standards of the past. Its why the Tiger collarless never became widespread. It didnt matter that the greatest golfer in the world wore it on the greatest courses of the world. They are not governed by those considerations, but by a frozen template from the past. And it was only a small step. Hoodies are an even bigger leap, but are for teenagers, gansta rappers, and curiously, seem to the a universal symbol and icon for computer hackers. It doesnt matter how many pro golfers wear them - no 'traditional' club is going to be swayed. (let alone by the like of Westwood wearing one, which has more than a touch of midlife crisis about it).

D

Deleted member 15344

No I don’t think “that’s what wrong with golf”

There are always ways around any potential small issues , have a set of clothes in a locker , have them in your car just in case

There are always ways to be prepared for any scenarios - but you not being able to play in a tee shirt and board shorts “isn’t what’s wrong with golf”

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree it does a decent job in that climate (& yes of course there's no one solution for different climates)

what i was hypothetical suggesting is; if golf was a new game with the requirements i listed, would the manufactures start by taking a shirt designed for tennis players and a hat designed for baseball players... or might they just start with a blank sheet and design clothing specifically for golfers?
An interesting point, which sort of comes full circle on what I started this with. While manufacturers are pushing the boundaries of what's considered appropriate golf wear - if dress codes were actually scrapped, they'd have shot themselves in the foot as I'm sure sales of polos and other traditional golf wear would actually drop if people were able to wear any sports top they might already own. The concept of golf clothing brands would drop off since the items you'd wear for golf would be synonymous with any sportswear brand.