So, What is a Golf Shirt

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Cooden is an old fashioned, traditional club where dress code is concerned.
I love it and long may it continue
:whoo::whoo::whoo:

I like these type of club. Ours use to be a lot more conservative but has got a lot more liberal regarding golf clothing. Trouble is, they will argue they need to be forward thinking to attract younger guests and members. Not sure I agree

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being serious for a moment (not like me) I did not join a club 2 years ago due to dress code.
I walked in for an interview in smart attire, chinos and shirt and jumper and was told I should have worn a tie,not a good start I thought to myself.
Next came the comment I should have really worn a dinner jacket as well as it was in the evening.
So i asked if smart attire on the course would be ok and to be told long socks with tailored shorts,shorts definitely tucked in even though my belly hangs over it!
So this I would say 50-60% put me off, I walked out of the interview and checked my sundial to see if it was still 1842.
Attitudes like this turn people off clubs, having a chat with some members at my current friendly club and they said the same thing about said club.
So while people may not leave due to dress code,they may choose not to join.
The sooner these attitudes change the better (but I get the feeling they won't until the old major brigade die off)

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's that word "traditional" again! That generally means dating back to the mid 50's set of values.

My great uncle told me many years ago that polo shirts were frowned upon by the collar and tie brigade from the previous "traditional" period

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Y
Being serious for a moment (not like me) I did not join a club 2 years ago due to dress code.
I walked in for an interview in smart attire, chinos and shirt and jumper and was told I should have worn a tie,not a good start I thought to myself.
Next came the comment I should have really worn a dinner jacket as well as it was in the evening.
So i asked if smart attire on the course would be ok and to be told long socks with tailored shorts,shorts definitely tucked in even though my belly hangs over it!
So this I would say 50-60% put me off, I walked out of the interview and checked my sundial to see if it was still 1842.
Attitudes like this turn people off clubs, having a chat with some members at my current friendly club and they said the same thing about said club.
So while people may not leave due to dress code,they may choose not to join.
The sooner these attitudes change the better (but I get the feeling they won't until the old major brigade die off)

Better off not being there. I have told my wife that if I ever buy a blazer or dinner jacket to hit me repeatedly with a shovel on the back of the head.

However if others enjoy wearing them that is fine by me

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's that word "traditional" again! That generally means dating back to the mid 50's set of values.

My great uncle told me many years ago that polo shirts were frowned upon by the collar and tie brigade from the previous "traditional" period

Going slightly off topic but it must be an age thing. Went out for lunch a few weeks ago to a local café with the old man, who is in his late 80's and he had a right moan about a bloke in there who looked late 50's and was wearing a flat cap inside the café. I asked him what harm he was doing by wearing it and he just kept saying you do not do it. I told him to mind his own business and enjoy his lunch.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A golf shirt is anything you want it to be.
Any restriction on golfing attire is snobbery. But a lot of snobs in golf clubs unfortunately.
Push the boundaries gently is the best tack. Point out the ludicrous snobbery to them if they raise an objection.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Golf clothing is weird in that it manages to be both ultra boring and freakishly vulgar

:D Absolutely spot on. I'm sure the only people that think the vast majority of amateur (and actually a professionals as well) golfers look smart are golfers themselves. Everyone else thinks they look at best a bit outdated, at worst a mess.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You wanna play football, wear football kit.
You wanna play tennis, wear tennis kit.
You wanna play golf, then guess what?

My club is quite relaxed with off the course attire, indeed I took my step son to the range on Sunday in jeans. However I would never venture on to the first tee in such clothing and wouldn't expect anyone else to either. In the same way I wouldn't go for a game of squash in swimming trunks or a jog in riding gear.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A slight tangent to the thread but with all the talk of dress codes- my club changed the rules for clubhouse wear and now allows jeans and trainers to 'move with the times'. Since then the interpretation of jeans and trainers has become looser and looser and personally I would rather we didn't do it.

All the 'stuffy' clubs quoting tradition may not be everyone's cup of tea however I can understand their view. My club was jacket and tie then became jacket and collar then abandoned the jacket and now are allowing jeans and trainers.

Once you start it doesn't stop so I can understand them trying to keep a bit of exclusivity and tradition. Additionally, these are normally clubs with quite large waiting lists in my experience so they must be desired in some way.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golly what a stuffy lot you are. No wonder the kids aren't playing golf. I started to play tennis at my local club after not playing for 35, gulp, years. The kids turn up in all sorts of gear. When I was last there it was "predominantly white attire only" There wasn't many juniors then, but there is now !!!!!! Saturday morning and the courts are full. We have a tennis coach too !!!!!! I fully agree to polo and trousers / proper shorts, and golf shoes but after that, who really should care? Have you seen the Royal and Awesome gear? What is different to their gear and someone wearing a polo shirt with a wild design and some random other sports team logo on it? Come on lads the gear is out there, lets let people and the kids wear it. Might brighten the places up a bit. Plus the banter on the course and clubhouse would be worth it !!!!!!!!