Golf club memberships questions from a upcoming golfer

HeftyHacker

Visit site
New to the golf scene and curious on the typical rates for members compared to visitors for gree fees. I know all clubs may be different however if any of you guys can share some of your experiences with your own membership, I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone is also from the Manchester area and has any recommendations for clubs or advice. I would greatly appreciate that too. Thanks

I've a mate who's this year rejoined Worsley in Manchester. He pays 150 quid a year plus members guest rates each time he plays (I think it's 20 quid).

It works for him as it keeps his handicap active for opens and he can still play in Saturday comps etc.

He said the downside of it is that if he wants to nip out after work etc then he feels like he's not getting his money's worth unless he plays 18 holes, so loses that freedom that others have mentioned of just jumping on for 6 holes in an evening.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Usually, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Private club golf is not an egalitarian game in America.

As for a more informative answer, I'd have to make the same Google Search that you can.

I was the beneficiary of a special circumstance.
Otherwise, it would be unlikely that I could belong to a nice club.

First, my membership offers full access to all the amenities of our club EXCEPT weekend golf.
I have a senior membership with only weekday golf included in the dues.
I have to pay for myself as my own guest if I play on Saturday or Sunday or an American national holiday like Memorial Day, Labor Day, or 4th of July..

Second, mine is not a member owned club.
I didn't have to make a huge initial equity initiation fee as would have been the case with that kind of club.
Those initial initiations can exceed six figures.

Finally, as a laundromat for revenues accrued elsewhere through other "endeavors,"
my club doesn't actually have to make money for its "colorful" owner.
It just has to look profitable to the tax authorities.

I'm often critical of my own country, but this setup is America at her best.
So if they don’t offer a pricing list and you ask for one you can’t afford it ? What a load of bollocks, we aren’t buying a rolls Royce with every extra going, or joining Augusta. Just an average for a fairly nice golf club, I’m not planning of moving over to the states to join a club anytime soon

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With my membership I get courtesy at 6 other local clubs free.

It’s a club not just a golf club.
Darts team ,snooker ,poker and other card games.
Social nights are brilliant .

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
So if they don’t offer a pricing list and you ask for one you can’t afford it ? What a load of bollocks, we aren’t buying a rolls Royce with every extra going, or joining Augusta. Just an average for a fairly nice golf club, I’m not planning of moving over to the states to join a club anytime soon
I didn't think that "load of bollocks" was a term meaning "modest exaggeration."
I'm still learning!

Most of the private clubs in my area would push my budget as a retiree,
but I was fortunate enough to find a good deal.

Some of then don't offer a pricing list per se,
and those are the Rolls Royce or Augusta-like clubs.
You don't apply to them. They invite you.

As for the others, of which there are definitely some,
I'd have to make the same Google Search
that you can easily make.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I didn't think that "load of bollocks" was a term meaning "modest exaggeration."
I'm still learning!

Most of the private clubs in my area would push my budget as a retiree,
but I was fortunate enough to find a good deal.

Some of then don't offer a pricing list per se,
and those are the Rolls Royce or Augusta-like clubs.
You don't apply to them. They invite you.

As for the others, of which there are definitely some,
I'd have to make the same Google Search
that you can easily make.
So, how much?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was in Florida last summer and a club called Redtail was $3500 pa.
Really nice club and fabulous course bit out in the sticks.
That included a lesson once a month and free range balls.
I would pay it it’s a great course.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I got a Playmore golf membership this year that has generally been OK. There's three main drawbacks that have made me decide to go back to a full membership next year. Can't play before 3pm at the weekend, not a major problem May till September but outwith that it's a struggle to play 18 at the weekend. I can't nip down for a quick 9 holes whenever I like. I get put off booking if the weather looks a bit iffy because it would feel like I've wasted one of my rounds.
On the plus side it is a lot cheaper and I can still maintain a h/c. It's also let me play a few courses I hadn't played before. I've also changed my job recently, working 5 days a week now rather than 6 so I should get the benefit of a full membership next year.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I was in Florida last summer and a club called Redtail was $3500 pa.
Really nice club and fabulous course bit out in the sticks.
That included a lesson once a month and free range balls.
I would pay it it’s a great course.
On the flipside, I was in California in August, and when I told one of the guys the joining fee for my place was £500, then £2500 a year, he laughed and said that was his combined membership per month! Blimey!

Blueband

Visit site
Thank you everyone who has commented and I agree with alot of you. I am considered a "younger" or intermediate golfer (I'm early 20s) so my rates for many courses I looked out are greatly reduced. I am also a full time student and I've even seen student memberships offered for greatly reduced fees also. I think the average cost for me would be between £350 and £500 ish for a year. I am planning on going at least once or twice a week. I do really like the idea of being able to just pop down and play a few holes whenever I feel. I also like the idea of being able to get some practice in and have seen a good few courses with practice greens for putting or short game. If anyone is from the tameside area and can give their thoughts on local clubs. (Ideally within a 25 min drive) I would greatly appreciate that. I have found it quite difficult to find particularly up-to-date reviews on most courses around here.

Burnsey

Visit site
Interestingly, I am genuinely thinking of reducing my membership next year, to even out the cost.

I play a lot of corporate and society golf, so probably play 50 times a year at my club. That doesn't anywhere near justify the cost and the social side isn't stong enough to add to that.

I'd say play as a visitor at least half a dozen times to get a feel for the place, which you'll learn as much about the club in the clubhouse as on the course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I live reasonably close to Manchester---New Hampshire.
I don't see a "typical."
There's too big a variance from venue to venue,
and the TYPES of membership offered vary as well

My personal experience in joining a private club particularly
is stay away from the "member owned" ones.

Generally speaking it is the other way round in the UK.
Member owned clubs tend to be the better ones to join as very often costs are less but you are occasionally hit with a capital expenditure project extra.

I know in some US clubs the annual fee is a straight forward division of the running costs but that is normally tempered a lot here by the club getting a lot of income generated by things such as visitor fees , driving range income etc.