Advice on joining a club whilst living in central London?

Jackapz

Visit site
Hey guys - was hoping for some advice.

I’m looking to join a club with great greens within an hours drive of central London. Issue being trying to minimise joining fees (up to 2k) as not sure how many years will be here before moving to one of the London counties.

Currently play most of my golf at Addington Palace but there’s been some issues with the greens so looking elsewhere.

Looking into some multi club memberships but don’t seem to have many good clubs.

Any help would be much appreciated for clubs or multi clubs to join!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Do you prefer to travel North, South, East or West? That'll make a big difference to suggestions.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would be thinking more towards Kent TBH.
Langley Park, Sundridge Park, West Kent, Wrotham Heath,even down as far as Mid Kent or Rochester and Cobham.
Going that Way should mean less traffic.

Bratty

Visit site
Sundridge Park can suffer in the winter, but then most courses do these days!
Westerham greens (where I am) are very good at the moment and a lot of woodland management being completed improving aiflow should make even more difference.
You also get to play Woldingham and Surrey National for free and two free rounds at The Addington.
Dartford is supposed to be a nice course. Pedham doesn't have great greens but is the driest course in your distance from central London heading South East.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sundridge Park can suffer in the winter, but then most courses do these days!
Westerham greens (where I am) are very good at the moment and a lot of woodland management being completed improving aiflow should make even more difference.
You also get to play Woldingham and Surrey National for free and two free rounds at The Addington.
Dartford is supposed to be a nice course. Pedham doesn't have great greens but is the driest course in your distance from central London heading South East.
Dartford is a quirky layout not to everyone's taste but is usually in good condition, but you'd need to navigate J2 M25 which would add to travelling time .

Cherry lodge ? Not been there since half of T5 was dumped on it but always liked playing there.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dartford is a quirky layout not to everyone's taste but is usually in good condition, but you'd need to navigate J2 M25 which would add to travelling time .

Cherry lodge ? Not been there since half of T5 was dumped on it but always liked playing there.
Played Cherry Lodge a couple of years back. It has potential, but it was open as they didn't want to have to reimburse our society booking. The first had a flooded fairway half way down, and the whole course was sodden and should not have been open.
I wouldnt go back.

Bratty

Visit site
Cherry Lodge doesn't drain well. Never has. It, along with Nizels and Hever, are some of the worst in my area.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was referring to the OP trying to avoid a 2K joining fee
Ahhh, so spend £7k on removal fees instead (as that is what my friend is paying to move from London to Lincoln.....)
You could just say a little more in your reply so we know what you're alluding to:)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hey guys - was hoping for some advice.

I’m looking to join a club with great greens within an hours drive of central London. Issue being trying to minimise joining fees (up to 2k) as not sure how many years will be here before moving to one of the London counties.

Currently play most of my golf at Addington Palace but there’s been some issues with the greens so looking elsewhere.

Looking into some multi club memberships but don’t seem to have many good clubs.

Any help would be much appreciated for clubs or multi clubs to join!

If you’re at the palace why are you moving? Known to have the best greens in the area so quite curious

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you’re at the palace why are you moving? Known to have the best greens in the area so quite curious
The only issue that I've come across with their greens is that they are usually very fast and in places virtually unreadable. Last played there mid August and, apart from the above, they were their usual good condition.