Golf Club Joining Fees - Crippling Diversity

Albo

Visit site
So no different to golf's clubs having joining fees then. I understand why you may choose not to pay a JF, actually I never have and doubt I will now pending a lottery win, but I find it difficult to understand how you can be against them as a matter of principle.
I’m very much against them on a personal level, not so much as a matter of principle.
If you run a golf club it’s very much your right to do that, be that for profit or for the course gain (in the case of a private owned club versus a members club). I have no issue with you doing so, I just wouldn’t join your club.
As I say from a personal viewpoint, one of the things that is a must for me, is the ability to move at the drop of a hat, so to speak (realistically at the end of a membership year). Paying a joining fee, for me, prevents that, or at least makes the decision more painful.
Equating that to a mortgage, isn’t really the same thing. I don’t want to pay a set up fee for a mortgage, but I don’t have that choice personally, so I do so. The alternative is to move my family from our home to either rented accommodation or a much cheaper house that would mean I don’t need a mortgage.
The 2 things are vastly different

D

Deleted member 31467

Joining fee = more revenue for club = better condition/facilities = better for members.

It's not difficult really.

Albo

Visit site
Joining fee = more revenue for club = better condition/facilities = better for members.

It's not difficult really.
While that is true to a degree, it’s not that simple.
Joining fee = less churn = less incoming joining fees = not much change in course/facilities = minimal benefit for members.

Increase in membership fees and having a joining fee might work out

D-S

Visit site
Joining fee = less churn = less incoming joining fees = not much change in course/facilities = minimal benefit for members.

You’re absolutely right, it is such a bad business model that more and more clubs are now dropping them - oh, wait, hang on I might have got that wrong.

D

Deleted member 15344

that will come down to it individual club

We have a joining fee and below is a list of items that we have done to improve the club using the income from the joining fee

rope drainage across all greens

New fairway irrigation across 4 holes with poor drainage

Full course coverage of a watering system

That above is close to £700k maybe more and the recent influx of members over Covid with those joining fees helped pay for those items

And that’s amongst multiple other improvements in the club house

That full course watering allowed us to be one of the only courses in the county to have green fairways last year

D

Deleted member 31467

Not sure of your logic. If a club has no joining fee then it has even less income and therefore less money to spend on improvements.

Albo

Visit site
You’re absolutely right, it is such a bad business model that more and more clubs are now dropping them - oh, wait, hang on I might have got that wrong.
Who said it was a bad business model?
I just said that it won’t generate enough money to have a material impact on the course or facilities.

Albo

Visit site
that will come down to it individual club

We have a joining fee and below is a list of items that we have done to improve the club using the income from the joining fee

rope drainage across all greens

New fairway irrigation across 4 holes with poor drainage

Full course coverage of a watering system

That above is close to £700k maybe more and the recent influx of members over Covid with those joining fees helped pay for those items

And that’s amongst multiple other improvements in the club house

That full course watering allowed us to be one of the only courses in the county to have green fairways last year
How much are your joining fees? And how many members of the club?

Albo

Visit site
Not sure of your logic. If a club has no joining fee then it has even less income and therefore less money to spend on improvements.
Absolutely right. I wasn’t arguing that having no joining fee was going to get more money. I said I didn’t think it would make a material difference and that increased membership fees and a joining fee would

D

Deleted member 31467

Absolutely right. I wasn’t arguing that having no joining fee was going to get more money. I said I didn’t think it would make a material difference and that increased membership fees and a joining fee would
Sorry you have lost me. Are you saying that a joining fee would make a difference?

D

Deleted member 31467

Read my original post. It’s quite clear in there.
The key part is “minimal benefit to members “
That’s not none now is it??
Interesting. Not sure how you equate extra revenue to the club as 'minimal benefit' to members but each to their own.