Golf Club Joining Fees - Crippling Diversity

AussieKB

Visit site
I moved to England in the mid 80's, playing off a 5 handicap, I had trouble joining clubs as a 7 day member, (living on Sussex/Kent border) was offered 5 or 6 day membership, one club about 10 miles away said I had to know 5 members for a number of years, when I explained I had just moved from Australia, the response was (I will always remember this) "then you do you have a problem" to which I laughed and said no, I think you do.

Funnily a good friend became their GM and I have played there numerous occasions as his guest.

Then over time the waiting lists disappeared, and these clubs were crying out for new members, dropping nomination fees and sponsoring special deals for new membership.

Covid comes along and all of a sudden people want to play golf again, memberships fill up and we are back in the 80's with nomination fees, I must state that the elite clubs (so they think) have always demanded nomination fees and will continue to do so, even if they don't have a full membership.

I don't know what the solution is, but I think when we are past the Covid stage it will revert back to all but the elite club's crying out for new members.

D-S

Visit site
We have always had a joining fee, it is not just elite clubs. It is a supply and demand issue and a choice of business model.
You could equally have a similar argument about bar levies, an iniquitous tax on the golf + car park brigade, why should I have to pay for my drinks/coffee in advance etc.etc. - but it is the choice of the club and how they choose to finance the club and incentivise or otherwise their members.

Albo

Visit site
We have always had a joining fee, it is not just elite clubs. It is a supply and demand issue and a choice of business model.
You could equally have a similar argument about bar levies, an iniquitous tax on the golf + car park brigade, why should I have to pay for my drinks/coffee in advance etc.etc. - but it is the choice of the club and how they choose to finance the club and incentivise or otherwise their members.
I’ve seen a couple of clubs round our way with the bar levies as part of the yearly fees. As one of the aforementioned golf and car park brigade, oddly enough, that didn’t bother me as a prospect, it’s one of those I’d try and make an effort at some point to go in an spend some of it, but the likelihood is that I’d forgo most of it every year

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve seen a couple of clubs round our way with the bar levies as part of the yearly fees. As one of the aforementioned golf and car park brigade, oddly enough, that didn’t bother me as a prospect, it’s one of those I’d try and make an effort at some point to go in an spend some of it, but the likelihood is that I’d forgo most of it every year
BIB…we are one - £75 on clubhouse (not pro shop) account for drink and food. I have absolutely no trouble spending it…🙄. One Sunday roast lunch (epic) for two plus bottle of wine; bottle of water, and a pint will clear it.