Best service you've ever had at a Golf Club in the UK?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
New course being built too apparently.
Is it a course Ken, I know there was a lot of heavy plant work going off around the front nine end, but thought someone had mentioned they might build a few lodges for stay and play. If it is as good as the original course it will be a belter.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had the pleasure to play at the Grove in Hertfordshire recently and I think it was the best service I have ever experienced at a golf course, they made you feel like a celebrity.

They had huge amounts of staff that were catering to your every need. Whether it would be their overall demeanour, the valet service, taking your clubs initially and putting them on a rack, showing you around, announcing you on the tee, cleaning your clubs after the round & even showing your where you ball went (if they're nearby on the course) - I've not experience anything like it.

Does anyone have any similar experiences at other courses?

I found the same at the Grove. The London Club were very similar but haven't been quite so good in more recent times

D-S

Visit site
I had the pleasure to play at the Grove in Hertfordshire recently and I think it was the best service I have ever experienced at a golf course, they made you feel like a celebrity.

They had huge amounts of staff that were catering to your every need. Whether it would be their overall demeanour, the valet service, taking your clubs initially and putting them on a rack, showing you around, announcing you on the tee, cleaning your clubs after the round & even showing your where you ball went (if they're nearby on the course) - I've not experience anything like it.

This is pretty much commonplace at decent US courses and country clubs. On a trip to Pinehurst and other nearby courses the only time I touched our golf bags was putting them in the boot at the airport and taking them out again a week or so later. Many of the better clubs have mandatory forecaddies who help with lines, ball spotting, cleaning your clubs, repairing divots ball marks, raking bunkers etc. Your shoes get cleaned when you are out playing and golf shoes cleaned when you get back, one Country Club in Charleston even had a proper Barbershop (with striped pole outside) in the Men's locker room, as well as a Sports Bar.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If spent properly, money can easy provide good service and add-ons. What matters for me are not the mostly unnecessary embellishments of service that money can provide, but how the basics are provided through the experience you get - especially when you arrive.

So on that I rate very highly what Hollinwell provided a couple of years back when I played there. And what was that? It was their visitor greeting - given by clearly a senior member who loved the club. We were quickly recognised as visitors and given a quick tour of the main areas of the clubhouse and introduced to those who would attend to us in bar and dining. Nothing else, no fancy this or that; no gifts; no club cleaning etc. But it was exceptional in that it made us feel, not only welcome, but like members.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
If spent properly, money can easy provide good service and add-ons. What matters for me are not the mostly unnecessary embellishments of service that money can provide, but how the basics are provided through the experience you get - especially when you arrive.

So on that I rate very highly what Hollinwell provided a couple of years back when I played there. And what was that? It was their visitor greeting - given by clearly a senior member who loved the club. We were quickly recognised as visitors and given a quick tour of the main areas of the clubhouse and introduced to those who would attend to us in bar and dining. Nothing else, no fancy this or that; no gifts; no club cleaning etc. But it was exceptional in that it made us feel, not only welcome, but like members.
Polite, friendly and helpful. These to me are the most important factors
When you visit a “2nd rate” course, you are often treated brilliantly. As they genuinely seem pleased to see you. Filey, Scarborough South, Worksop were all brilliant for this.

evemccc

Visit site

Would not want the levels of ‘service’ described here — each to their own of course

To answer your Question….I would say for me it’s Muirfield, very closely followed by Hollinwell, Alwoodley, West Hill, Silloth and Walton Heath

Muirfield everyone was very polite, courteous and had good manners - the course was / is impeccable - and I lunched with two members (my PP having not wanted to lunch) afterwards who bought me a Kümmel

Hollinwell, WH, Siloth, Alwoodley, and West Hill, I found the pro shop welcome to be very good, courteous bar staff and I played with members who approached me on the course to play with them. And all the courses were excellent 😁