Worst service you've ever had at a golf club in the UK

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Companion thread to the one currently running. These two occurred over the last two weeks at the same club.

1. Seniors' Open, players coming off the course until 7pm. We got into the bar around 4pm. I went to the bar & ordered burger & chips & paid for it. My partner came in just after me & ordered the same. "Sorry, the kitchen is closed" was the reply. I informed them that if he couldn't get his I didn't want mine. The bar lady went into the kitchen, came out and said "that will be OK". Don't think anyone else got served after that.

2. A mate won a fourball at the same course. It had rained a lot so he rang up the day before to check the course was open. "Yes, the course is open, you're OK for tomorrow" Great. The four of them arrived next day. "You need hedgehog wheels" the pro said. All four had them - at home! "Have you any hedgehog wheels to hire?" "No". "Are there any hedgehog trollies to hire? ". "No". "Can we go out without them?" "No" So off they went & played elsewhere.

Warm welcome or what?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two dress code ones for me. Two different clubs, both with high opinions of themselves.

First one I walked into the pro shop and the first words said to me were 'you can't go out in those socks'. No hello, no welcome to........... I had no intention of playing in those socks, I was going to get changed. I was an hour before tee off, no rush.

Second, walking into a clubhouse, an officious man comes towards me as I'm 2 steps in, 'are those golf shoes' in a stern voice. 'No, they are not' I replied, they weren't. Again, no hello, no welcome to..........just a hostile welcome.

First impressions...............

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two dress code ones for me. Two different clubs, both with high opinions of themselves.

First one I walked into the pro shop and the first words said to me were 'you can't go out in those socks'. No hello, no welcome to........... I had no intention of playing in those socks, I was going to get changed. I was an hour before tee off, no rush.

Second, walking into a clubhouse, an officious man comes towards me as I'm 2 steps in, 'are those golf shoes' in a stern voice. 'No, they are not' I replied, they weren't. Again, no hello, no welcome to..........just a hostile welcome.

Had very similar.
playing for the scratch team I went straight from work.
Guy says to me “ You can’t come in here in jeans”
I said “ I know that’s why you have changing rooms”

I was carrying my golf clothes on a hanger???

where do they get these Morons?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Muirfield?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can’t really blame the club for the actions of one moronic member.

But the actions of the members does leave an impression.!
The thread is about service, the posts so far refer to experiences at a bar and pro shop, and possibly officials in the clubhouse(?). All clubs have moronic members, so no need to fill this thread with experiences of them.

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My number 1 service peeve is waiting too long to settle a bill. Just bring the card reader at the same time as the bill for goodness sake. Happens everywhere, so that.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ah, Muirfield…..we finished playing earlier than anticipated
Can we come in for lunch? (we have jackets and ties)
Have you booked?
No
Sorry, you can’t come in.
(The dining room was empty!)
I have heard a few stories about how unfriendly it is there.
Played once about 2015. A reciprocal that another club has there. Paid £80. Allowed to use the loo, that's all.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thread is about service, the posts so far refer to experiences at a bar and pro shop, and possibly officials in the clubhouse(?). All clubs have moronic members, so no need to fill this thread with experiences of them.
Ok .
I will await your comments if anyone else strays off topic!

JayB

Visit site
Thankfully, apart from extremely slow service due to understaffing at one club where I felt sorry for the 2 young members of staff who were trying their best but completely overwhelmed and a grumpy barman at another I haven't had to deal with any poor service.

Plenty of moronic members though

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played a Seniors Open this summer at a remote club in Northumberland.

It was fully booked, we were off at 9am. Finished just before 1pm, stuck our clubs in the car and headed to the clubhouse for some lunch and a well earned beer. Got to the door and the group who were in front of us are coming out shaking their heads.

Turned out the bar wasn't opening until 3 o'clock. How's that for bad planning? The club would have lost a lot of potential revenue, and pee'd off a good number of visitors. The guys in front of us had driven the best part of 2 hours to get there and were not at all impressed that they were now going to have to drive 3 or 4 miles to find somewhere. They won't be back.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mid 80’s, visiting a club as part of a society. Approx 40 players, all of which were booked in for a meal too. “Sorry sir you can’t use the member’s bar. There’s another bar for visitors.”

A separate bar for visitors I don’t have a problem with but when it’s not much bigger than a store room with a window high up almost a ceiling level and can only, comfortably, take 20 I wasn’t happy. A little hatch to knock on to order drinks which, when opened, revealed a lovely member’s bar with great views over the course. Two members in there.

I wonder which club didn’t get a booking the following years I ran the society?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Home Park GC, { Hampton Court }
Golf Society Christmas meet early 1970's
They ran out of food at lunch
My dinner had no turkey or spuds.
[BTW The turkey was in a roll form a tin and the course condition was very poor]