Worst service you've ever had at a golf club in the UK

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played at The Castle at St Andrews a few years ago.

We had been staying in a rented house in the town. Our tee time was early, and it was the last day, so we didn't want to mess about cooking. I checked when booking the tee time that we would be able to get some breakfast before we played - "no problem sir".

We were teeing off around 8am. It was a horrible morning, blowing a gale, and the rain was horizontal. We got there about 7.20, checked in and asked where we could get some food. She says the restaurant isn't open yet, but there is a hatch round the back of the clubhouse. Went round there, got bacon butties and a coffee, asking if it was ok to take them inside, given the weather. 'No' was the answer. I asked the guy if he was really expecting us to stand in the pouring rain to eat our breakfast? "I'm afraid so sir".

We went back to reception and pleaded our case. The initial answer was the same, but they eventually gave in and said very begrudgingly "ok, you can sit inside as long as you don't make any mess".

Left a sour taste (no pun intended).

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Two dress code ones for me. Two different clubs, both with high opinions of themselves.

First one I walked into the pro shop and the first words said to me were 'you can't go out in those socks'. No hello, no welcome to........... I had no intention of playing in those socks, I was going to get changed. I was an hour before tee off, no rush.

Second, walking into a clubhouse, an officious man comes towards me as I'm 2 steps in, 'are those golf shoes' in a stern voice. 'No, they are not' I replied, they weren't. Again, no hello, no welcome to..........just a hostile welcome.

First impressions...............
We were played at arcott hall once and the only way in to pay was through a key code door. We asked a member to let us in so we could pay and he gave us a full clothing check before letting us in. Type of person who would suck all the joy out of the world

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Companion thread to the one currently running. These two occurred over the last two weeks at the same club.

1. Seniors' Open, players coming off the course until 7pm. We got into the bar around 4pm. I went to the bar & ordered burger & chips & paid for it. My partner came in just after me & ordered the same. "Sorry, the kitchen is closed" was the reply. I informed them that if he couldn't get his I didn't want mine. The bar lady went into the kitchen, came out and said "that will be OK". Don't think anyone else got served after that.

2. A mate won a fourball at the same course. It had rained a lot so he rang up the day before to check the course was open. "Yes, the course is open, you're OK for tomorrow" Great. The four of them arrived next day. "You need hedgehog wheels" the pro said. All four had them - at home! "Have you any hedgehog wheels to hire?" "No". "Are there any hedgehog trollies to hire? ". "No". "Can we go out without them?" "No" So off they went & played elsewhere.

Warm welcome or what?
Couple of my mates have just been to close house where they required hedgehog wheels and not notified the pair. They only had the choice of carrying their cart bags.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Clubs comms has always been a major issue for me. Working in a service industry it really boils my water when I don’t see good communication.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Booked in at Little Hay a couple of years ago, with my dad and my uncle and auntie. Made sure I had a buggy booked for the latter two as my uncle was due a hip operation and couldn't play without it. There was a bit of light rain in the morning, seemingly nothing to be alarmed at but when we arrived we're told there's no buggies. But my uncle can't play without one and he's already travelled here and had breakfast? Sorry, no dice. So he drove home again. I just played with my dad in a two-ball, when we came off we found the bar had closed at 3pm. Who closes the bar at 3pm??

Now that I think back though, I think they gave me a full refund on all four green fees so we played for free in the end, so I guess it wasn't that bad overall. But I could not understand why you wouldn't call the people who had buggies booked to tell them it was no buggies that day? Bit of common sense says some of them probably needed them?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a fine line here between service and rules. I have not had anything that I would call bad service. I have seen rules run ins and over officiousness. My old firm held a big charity day at a local club. Despite him having been around the club since early in the morning in his golf gear, the club left it until he was approaching the tee to pull him up for his socks and send him to change. The day was roasting hot and the club made everyone at lunch keep their blazers and ties on because they could not get hold of the captain to authorise their removal in the dining room.

As I said, not bad service just the officious enforcement of rules on guests but it is their club so they can do what they want.

Not a poor service thing but clubs with a visitors car park much further away from the clubhouse always puts me off returning.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We were played at arcott hall once and the only way in to pay was through a key code door. We asked a member to let us in so we could pay and he gave us a full clothing check before letting us in. Type of person who would suck all the joy out of the world
Was that a long time ago? I'm a member there, have been for 2 years, and it doesn't feel like that sort of place. The way to access, way to pay, doesn't add up now either.

I believe it was stuffy back in the day so if this was a few years ago that would not overly surprise me.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Ah, Muirfield…..we finished playing earlier than anticipated
Can we come in for lunch? (we have jackets and ties)
Have you booked?
No
Sorry, you can’t come in.
(The dining room was empty!)
Friends of mine played there many years ago & couldn't have been made more welcome. Mind you, one of them knocked a valuable vase off a shelf but another member of the group managed to catch it before it hit the ground. Not sure how welcome they would have been had it been smashed.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played at the 2010 last year. Had really been looking forward to playing but the whole day was an exercise in how to make as much revenue as possible combined with poor service. Final straw was when one of the meals turned up and wasn't what was ordered. Ended up as a pantomime "oh yes you did, oh no I didn't" before they begrudgingly agreed to supply the correct meal.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was that a long time ago? I'm a member there, have been for 2 years, and it doesn't feel like that sort of place. The way to access, way to pay, doesn't add up now either.

I believe it was stuffy back in the day so if this was a few years ago that would not overly surprise me.
There used to be a key pad on the back door, however if the pro shop was closed, but the course was open, then the front door would have been open so folk could pay at the bar.

But notwithstanding that, this sounds like an issue with an arsey member, every club has them. It's not an example of bad service from the club.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had a few funny experiences with Muirfiled as an SGU time, but with a member a few times its chalk and cheese.

first time we went, guy on the gate checked who we were before getting through. begrudgingly we were made to play from the 10th, despite not a single soul else there. . the range was also reserved that day for members. so we couldnt use it.:ROFLMAO:
2nd time on the SGU, my mate had booked bacon roles, but 20 min before our time the hatch opened and a voice asked if we where the MacGinley party that had ordered bacon rolls, wo which we replied yes.... you don't have time for bacon rolls and the hatch slammed shut, again we had to play from the 10th Again... just in case any members turned up.... again we were the only people there:LOL:. we had booked lunch so went into the dining room after changing, we were told by a small angry woman we were late and would be the last sitting for lunch. we could have as much as we liked of the starters, but when it came to the carvery which we paid extra for we each got a very thin sliver of roast beef. when:p questioned we were told it was just in case members turned up.... again we were the only people there and l had already been told we were the last sitting. wasnt as bad the next couple of times and the next time they did relent and let us play from the 1st. as i say when you go with a member is a whole different story. ive restricted my visits there since to members guest only😁

its does'nt put me off going as its a fantastic course

wjemather

Visit site
The former owner/pro at a local pay-and-play facility used to turn people away if they didn't have a tee booked, regardless of whether the course was busy or deserted, and insisted that bookings could only be made over the phone.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
My old club:

1. Chap informs the owner his food portion was ridiculously small. Owner asks tells him he should order a desert if he is still hungry.
  2. Person goes to the bar to say his drink is flat. Owner sips it, says it is OK and gives it back to him
  3. Owner pours a Pepsi and gives it to the customer. The coke is almost as see-through as lemonade
  4. The dinner after a big competition is pie, chips and peas. My mate is a vegan. The vegan option was chips and peas.
  5. Standing at the bar waiting to order a drink, only person at the bar. Stood there for over 5 minutes. Owner is sat at the table right next to the person, reading a paper and watching the TV. Doesn't bother serving the customer, and instead they have to wait for the sole member of staff, who is currently busy dealing with golfers in pro-shop, covering the telephone, changing the barrels, hoovering, collecting glasses, taking food orders, delivering food orders to tables, etc. This was a regular occurance.

Swango1980

Visit site
The former owner/pro at a local facility used to turn people away if they didn't have a tee booked, regardless of whether the course was busy or deserted, and insisted that bookings could only be made over the phone.
The owner at my last place was the opposite. Even if the tee was fully booked, if anyone else wanted to play, he just squeezed them in between bookings. 8 minute slots became 4 minute slots. Online booking was not permitted, as it gave him full control.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The former owner/pro at a local pay-and-play facility used to turn people away if they didn't have a tee booked, regardless of whether the course was busy or deserted, and insisted that bookings could only be made over the phone.
Love people like that. I'd literally phone him up and make a booking while looking him straight in the eye. 😄

sjw

Visit site
Love people like that. I'd literally phone him up and make a booking while looking him straight in the eye. 😄
Nah you go outside, phone up and ask for the first available tee time, then walk back in as you're exchanging pleasantries at the end of the call :ROFLMAO: