Worst service you've ever had at a golf club in the UK

D

Deleted member 23270

I always check club websites before playing somewhere new, only takes a minute.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
i had the exact
same experience at cherry lodge. Walked into the pro shop and was told I couldn’t play in trainer socks. I replied “ I bet you could sell me socks that would allow me to play today?” He said “ yes over there” i replied “ your course isn’t worth it”. We left and played at Westerham . Crazy

On a slightly different theme, I once bought a collarless golf shirt from the shop at a club where I was a member. A really nice Ian Poulter Design shirt. Not cheap.

The following day I stepped onto the first tee wearing it and the club secretary charged out of his office, marched over to me and loudly and proudly informed me I wasn’t allowed to wear it on HIS course.

I told him he might want to pop into the shop and discuss clothing stock with HIS club professional before nailing my drive down the fairway.

Swango1980

Visit site
On a slightly different theme, I once bought a collarless golf shirt from the shop at a club where I was a member. A really nice Ian Poulter Design shirt. Not cheap.

The following day I stepped onto the first tee wearing it and the club secretary charged out of his office, marched over to me and loudly and proudly informed me I wasn’t allowed to wear it on HIS course.

I told him he might want to pop into the shop and discuss clothing stock with HIS club professional before nailing my drive down the fairway.
I'm all for some dressing standards, albeit I'd fully expect them to be different at different types of clubs who have a different customer base (i.e. comparing an affordable course aimed at novice golfers compared to a renowned course like Wentworth).

That being said, it seems to me that some golfers (probably of a more Senior age) are completely stuck in the past. They have completely missed the fact that pretty much all the major golfing manufacturers have produced ankle socks, collarless shirts and hoodies. All of these items look neat and tidy, and have been specifically designed for golf. But because some members still associate these types of clothing as casual non-sporting wear, they suddenly combust when they see anyone wearing such an item. When clubs set dress codes, they should probably look into modern trends in golf, and certainly would be a good idea to go into their pro shop to see the sorts of things they have for sale. Before they embarrass themselves in front of others by looking like a dinosaur, at least try and argue with the pro first by trying to tell him what they should and should not sell. See how that goes.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I'm all for some dressing standards, albeit I'd fully expect them to be different at different types of clubs who have a different customer base (i.e. comparing an affordable course aimed at novice golfers compared to a renowned course like Wentworth).

That being said, it seems to me that some golfers (probably of a more Senior age) are completely stuck in the past. They have completely missed the fact that pretty much all the major golfing manufacturers have produced ankle socks, collarless shirts and hoodies. All of these items look neat and tidy, and have been specifically designed for golf. But because some members still associate these types of clothing as casual non-sporting wear, they suddenly combust when they see anyone wearing such an item. When clubs set dress codes, they should probably look into modern trends in golf, and certainly would be a good idea to go into their pro shop to see the sorts of things they have for sale. Before they embarrass themselves in front of others by looking like a dinosaur, at least try and argue with the pro first by trying to tell him what they should and should not sell. See how that goes.

The club secretary where I was at the time was an ex RAF man. He was positively rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect of tearing a strip off me as we’d had a few cross words previously.

You could almost see him physically deflate when he realised the pro shop was selling the sort of clothing which had him reaching for his blood pressure monitor.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I can’t remember which club in the NE it’s was but I had a similar experience.

They sold the Nike Tiger mock turtlenecks in their shop. I was wearing one I already owed, but was told on my way to the first tee that I wasn’t allowed to wear it on the course. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The club secretary where I was at the time was an ex RAF man. He was positively rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect of tearing a strip off me as we’d had a few cross words previously.

You could almost see him physically deflate when he realised the pro shop was selling the sort of clothing which had him reaching for his blood pressure monitor.
As an ex RAF man I don't see what this adds to the story ;)

sunshine

Visit site
They sold the Nike Tiger mock turtlenecks in their shop. I was wearing one I already owed, but was told on my way to the first tee that I wasn’t allowed to wear it on the course. 🤷🏼‍♂️

You needed to have the right physique to wear those tops, they didn't work well with a beer belly. Some people I saw wearing them should have been banned to preserve their dignity :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Dress codes are ridiculous at times. So long as you wear what's on the list is fine. Prime example is some golfers in very old washed out shirts that colour faded 20 years ago but they have a collar so it's fine but a turn up in the wrong coloured socks .. heaven forbid