Best service you've ever had at a Golf Club in the UK?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't know if this qualifies, but the best service I've ever had from a pro was at Morpeth.

I booked a lesson as I had been struggling to hit my irons well for weeks. Went to the practice field with the pro, he said let's see what's happening. Out of nowhere, I started creaming every shot.

After 5 or 10 minutes of this, he said to me "you can either pay me to watch you hitting good shot after good shot, or we can stop now and I won't charge you." So we stopped.

Mind you, the number of times I've recommended him to others as a result, he will have made the fee back tenfold!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interclub away match. In the absence of our captain I was down to play with our pro against their captain and pro.
At the time their club had a knee length socks if in shorts which we hadn't been told about. I was near the tee before their players arrived and was approached by the manager who told me I couldn't play in short socks. I explained I only had a business suit to change in to and wasn't prepared to get it dirty. But he was was adamant I couldn't play even though it was a match.
When my group were due to tee off their captain asked why I hadn't taken a club from my bag. I explained the situation. He went off to see the manager. It sounded like a pretty explosive meeting. A short while later the captain came back with a pair of long white socks. He had ordered the manager to buy a pair from club funds. A month later I found the manager had moved on.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Lincoln Golf Club, Torksey. A few years ago we turned up there to find the putting green swarming with seniors preparing for a match. I went in to see the Pro to sort out our round and was reassured by his wife that they would be long gone before we teed off. She then showed us to a small private conservatory where we were to have lunch and left to sort out the bar staff to take our order.

Halfway through lunch she came back to ensure everything was ok, and she was there again just before teeing off with advice regarding the course.

She didn't clean clubs or shoes she was just very genuine and bent over backwards to make us feel welcome.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
When I played Turnberry a few months ago, my group found the service a little poor.
The service and welcome at Troon and Prestwick were first class.

sunshine

Visit site
Loch Lomond. By a mile.
From the fleet of Range Rovers that picked us up from the airport, I didn't see my golf bag again until I got to the 1st tee. And when I looked inside the clubs had been cleaned.
I would feel a little bit awkward giving my shoes to a servant to clean them, but at Loch Lomond it was all low key and unobtrusive. When I went into the locker room after our round, I found my shoes had been cleaned while we were playing. We then went to the bar and when I returned to the locker room to collect my stuff, my golf shoes and clubs had been cleaned.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Loch Lomond. By a mile.
From the fleet of Range Rovers that picked us up from the airport, I didn't see my golf bag again until I got to the 1st tee. And when I looked inside the clubs had been cleaned.
I would feel a little bit awkward giving my shoes to a servant to clean them, but at Loch Lomond it was all low key and unobtrusive. When I went into the locker room after our round, I found my shoes had been cleaned while we were playing. We then went to the bar and when I returned to the locker room to collect my stuff, my golf shoes and clubs had been cleaned.

forgot to say on my Loch Lomond comment about the cleaned and bagged shoes in the changing room. We then sat in 4 leather armchairs in the changing room and had a pint, followed by 4 more! That was a first.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loch Lomond. By a mile.
Knowing my luck I'd have left my wallet or keys in there or something else I needed. 😆

BearwoodLakesGolfer

Visit site
Gleneagles magic place for me
you name it they provided it.

.but I did turn up in my mates Bentley.
He paid for my whole holiday inc golf if I drove ,so he could get drunk if he wanted to.

In the USA at the Ritz Carlton in Orlando a man in a Tuxedo brought us Truffels and wine while out on the course.
Bit OTT but fabulous place.
You clearly know the right people ;)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Bearwood Lakes, had the privilege of playing there, was a bit apprehensive as it's quite an intimidating place, needing to call to be let in the gate. Very expensive, members only.

I arrived in my beat up Renault and unbranded clothing, feeling very out of place.

The staff were all so friendly, chatting with me and getting me orientated.

Went outside to go to the putting green, the GM (or whatever his title actually was) was there and he took 10 minutes out of his day to talk me through the facilities where everything was and even some playing tips for the course.

Everyone person I came across, even a couple of members were so welcoming and friendly. Marry that up with the best course I've ever played was a great day.

I've played at "prestigious" courses and while staff and everyone were professional and polite, Bearwood Lakes was another level when I was there.

sunshine

Visit site
Knowing my luck I'd have left my wallet or keys in there or something else I needed. 😆

The thing about Loch Lomond is that you don't need your wallet or keys or anything else while you're there. They look after everything, if you need something they sort it out. All you need to do is relax and enjoy yourself.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been there twice but not played! Just for food both times. Incredible place. Shame about the owner. But as someone said earlier, at the prices they're charging you'd expect that sort of service!
Maybe it's the owner who, being American, has instilled the correct customer service attitude ? Just a thought.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a little read of this thread. Lets stick to just posting about the service.

I'm going to add
Ormskirk - Lovely lady in the pro shop. Smashing in the bar afterwards
Abbeydale - Greeting in the Pro shop, (twice) excellent.
Silverdale - "pro" shop made you feel like a member
Pike Fold - Pro shop is really great.

D'you know what? It's the first greeting for me. And that, usually, is the Pro shop! See, it's not the peripheral rubbish. It's the personal greeting(s), that you get.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Really well looked after at both Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns this week.

Ok, maybe you'd expect it from places like those, but the service was genuinely friendly and helpful. Exceeded expectations comfortably.
Played castle Stewart last September and it blew me away. Everything about it ticked loads of boxes. Birdied the 17th putting it 5ft from the pin and parred the last. I was buzzing.