Best service you've ever had at a Golf Club in the UK?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gleneagles magic place for me
you name it they provided it.

.but I did turn up in my mates Bentley.
He paid for my whole holiday inc golf if I drove ,so he could get drunk if he wanted to.

In the USA at the Ritz Carlton in Orlando a man in a Tuxedo brought us Truffels and wine while out on the course.
Bit OTT but fabulous place.

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
Turnberry. Everyone smiled, was friendly, courteous, couldn't do enough for you, but without that awkward feeling that you don't really belong there.

Just superb without being fawning or making you feel uncomfortable (certainly no shoe or club cleaning on show 😄). You were looked after, that felt good.

It was definitely at another level, a lovely experience.
Funny you say that, Trump Doonbeg, stayed three nights, played twice with a society, the staff were outstanding.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Gleneagles magic place for me
you name it they provided it.

.but I did turn up in my mates Bentley.
He paid for my whole holiday inc golf if I drove ,so he could get drunk if he wanted to.

In the USA at the Ritz Carlton in Orlando a man in a Tuxedo brought us Truffels and wine while out on the course.
Bit OTT but fabulous place.
If your friend needs any more friends, I'm available!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guys I just find it strange you're happy for someone to clean the toilet seat you bare your bum to, but baulk at the thought of someone wiping the mud off your shoe 😜🤣🤣

Edit, by the way, they're not there as volunteers, it's a paid gig like GKs, bar staff etc and they get tips that the toilet cleaner doesn't get
Just not similar at all. It's about our personal belongings that we are responsible for. It would more akin to having someone in the toilets to wipe your arse for you.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just not similar at all. It's about our personal belongings that we are responsible for. It would more akin to having someone in the toilets to wipe your arse for you.

I know this is a bit of a tangent to the original topic but it is a wee bit interesting ...

Does that mean taking a suit to the dry cleaners is a complete no no for you too or getting your car washed? Again the staff are being paid (so the cost of cleaning shoes/clubs is included in your green fee, so you are paying for it)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have to say I never have had someone clean my golf shoes for me. But I do pay people to clean my car which is also a personal item.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know this is a bit of a tangent to the original topic but it is a wee bit interesting ...

Does that mean taking a suit to the dry cleaners is a complete no no for you too or getting your car washed? Again the staff are being paid (so the cost of cleaning shoes/clubs is included in your green fee, so you are paying for it)
I am paying someone for a personal service in that scenario. As opposed to not directly paying someone for a service I don't even required nor asked for.

Edited to say: If a club had a service where you can choose to pay someone to clean your shoes and clubs for you, that would be far less awkward and more acceptable to me. Don't ask me why. If they're just cleaning them as a matter of course without me having to pay or ask for it, then it's embarrassing - I guess I don't like the idea of people being subservient to me.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I am paying someone for a personal service in that scenario. As opposed to not directly paying someone for a service I don't even required nor asked for.

Edited to say: If a club had a service where you can choose to pay someone to clean your shoes and clubs for you, that would be far less awkward and more acceptable to me. Don't ask me why. If they're just cleaning them as a matter of course without me having to pay or ask for it, then it's embarrassing - I guess I don't like the idea of people being subservient to me.

I guess we just see it differently. I definitely don’t see staff carrying out any cleaning service as subservient.
When I stay in a hotel I’m happy for housekeeping to clean the room/clear away personal rubbish items etc even if its not really required and I could do it myself and the staff cost is included in the room cost so its not a direct cost either

I have a pretty ‘close’ over protective relationship with my golf gear but its not to the point where a club or a shoe is quite that personal

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess we just see it differently. I definitely don’t see staff carrying out any cleaning service as subservient.
When I stay in a hotel I’m happy for housekeeping to clean the room/clear away personal rubbish items etc even if its not really required and I could do it myself and the staff cost is included in the room cost so its not a direct cost either

I have a pretty ‘close’ over protective relationship with my golf gear but its not to the point where a club or a shoe is quite that personal
Me and my wife actually leave the 'do not disturb' sign up on the hotel door if we're only there for a couple of days. 😆 Would rather things were left as they are and we'll tidy up when we go.

I dunno why, it just feels like being waited on and I don't particularly like it. Maybe it's the implication that I'm too lazy to clean my own shoes or clubs and need a servant to do it for me - I am too lazy to do it but that's my problem. 😆 It's not being protective and not wanting someone else to touch my stuff, far from it. Just a look after your own mentality perhaps.

Anyway, best move on from this tangent I think.

D

Deleted member 23270

I am retired and live off a pension. If I save up for a day out somewhere nice I don't want the added expense of feeling I have to tip someone £3 to get my clubs out the boot or £5 to clean my shoes or clubs or 10% service charge for someone to take my drink order and bring it to me instead of walking up to the bar myself. I have all the time in the world to clean my shoes/clubs if I want them clean and I'm perfectly capable of lifting my clubs out the boot. I know it's all part of the 'service' but it makes me feel like I should tip.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't want these things either and realistically they are offered in very few golf courses and I don't recall them being at any course I have been to.
If someone does wish to pay for that stuff I don't see why they should not.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Three stand out for me.
Prestwick St Nicholas - reception, starter, pro, and catering staff all welcoming, helpful & informative. We were told we were members for the day and they did what they could to ensure we enjoyed our day.
St Andrews Castle course. As above but more so - probably the nicest, most helpful starter I've ever met.
Gleneagles. We had a piece of paper that said we had a booking. They had a computer that didn't agree. They bent over backwards to get us on the course. They chucked in free buggies, course planners etc, and couldn't have tried harder to make us welcome. The starter was really nice and helpful too.

The Richmond Club gets special mention for cleaning my work shoes whilst I was out on the course. They were cleaner and shinier that I'd ever managed to get them myself. If only I'd known it would happen, I'd have taken some decent shoes - and more of them.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not at UK courses but if weather is particularly bad overnight and I have a morning tee time booked I'll get a phone call from the club around 6/6;30am to tell me that the course is closed

JonITFC

Visit site
Played abroad the first time in Portugal. Played three of the Dom Pedro courses. The staff were fantastic felt so welcome. Couldn't do more for you without being over bearing.

Clubs cleaned each time after the round which was great as there wasn't much room in the apartment to do two sets worth. Waiters and bar staff very helpful and all of the pro shop staff were brilliant.

Couldn't recommend it more. Can't wait to go back! Fairly good prices too for the caliber of courses. Especially Victoria which is the Portuguese masters course!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My visitor experience at Hollinwell (Notts) last year was exemplary, from check-in in the pro shop, through welcome and introduction to the club; having a bite of lunch before going out, to drinks and chat with steward afterwards. Though you pay quite a few ££s to play there, the club experience combined with playing a superb golf course, made for a superb day.

Last edited: