ROYAL MID SURREY GOLF CLUB

Old but strong

Visit site
Today on Google, a review from November 2021 of Royal Mid Surrey was published . A well written review. Here is a little more about the club. I was a member at Mid Surrey in the mid 1960s whilst I was a student at London University because the club welcomed golfers from that University. In those days the men had their own dining room and the Ladies had theirs and there were two separate entrances to the club house .There were no time sheets but you rang up the Locker room steward who organised games and then when you were ready to play you put your ball in the line next to the first tee. At different times of the year you had to quickly get past the riverside holes before they opened the lochs on the Thames above Richmond because this flooded several holes for some hours. It has always been a good test of golf but the greens used to vary in quality a lot during the year . After golf afternoon tea was a special treat . Although I am a member of three wonderful clubs that are listed in the top 50 in the world, I regard RMSGC as the most enjoyable club that I have ever belonged to because it had a wonderful sense of good fun but also maintained the right degree of formality . It was a tragedy when the dear old club house burnt to the ground and with it so much history including the hospitality to officers from Commonwealth countries who were based in GB. I had the great pleasure to be present at the centenary celebrations and to give the thank you address on behalf of visiting clubs. There was a period when the Surrey and Berkshire clubs became more accessible to their inner London members but now that the traffic has become such a headache again, I think that RMSGC will return to being a very popular place . I hope so . John Davies and Warren Humphries were pups when I was a member there but were winning junior events. I am in my final decade but I hope to play one last round there before , like Bernard Darwin, I play my final round over and between the dunes of Royal St Georges and then partake of Kentish Fire and Kummel with a perfectly prepared lunch.