Worst service you've ever had at a golf club in the UK

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
On a slightly different theme, I once bought a collarless golf shirt from the shop at a club where I was a member. A really nice Ian Poulter Design shirt. Not cheap.

The following day I stepped onto the first tee wearing it and the club secretary charged out of his office, marched over to me and loudly and proudly informed me I wasn’t allowed to wear it on HIS course.

I told him he might want to pop into the shop and discuss clothing stock with HIS club professional before nailing my drive down the fairway.

Is this story made up? I struggle to believe there has ever been a really nice IJP design shirt

The Lion

Visit site
Two dress code ones for me. Two different clubs, both with high opinions of themselves.

First one I walked into the pro shop and the first words said to me were 'you can't go out in those socks'. No hello, no welcome to........... I had no intention of playing in those socks, I was going to get changed. I was an hour before tee off, no rush.

Second, walking into a clubhouse, an officious man comes towards me as I'm 2 steps in, 'are those golf shoes' in a stern voice. 'No, they are not' I replied, they weren't. Again, no hello, no welcome to..........just a hostile welcome.

First impressions...............
Which clubs were these?

The Lion

Visit site
My old club:

1. Chap informs the owner his food portion was ridiculously small. Owner asks tells him he should order a desert if he is still hungry.
  2. Person goes to the bar to say his drink is flat. Owner sips it, says it is OK and gives it back to him
  3. Owner pours a Pepsi and gives it to the customer. The coke is almost as see-through as lemonade
  4. The dinner after a big competition is pie, chips and peas. My mate is a vegan. The vegan option was chips and peas.
  5. Standing at the bar waiting to order a drink, only person at the bar. Stood there for over 5 minutes. Owner is sat at the table right next to the person, reading a paper and watching the TV. Doesn't bother serving the customer, and instead they have to wait for the sole member of staff, who is currently busy dealing with golfers in pro-shop, covering the telephone, changing the barrels, hoovering, collecting glasses, taking food orders, delivering food orders to tables, etc. This was a regular occurance.
Which club was this please? Want to make sure I’ll never come across this owner, but if I do I’ll give them an earful!

Swango1980

Visit site
Which club was this please? Want to make sure I’ll never come across this owner, but if I do I’ll give them an earful!
Every golfer in the county seems to have heard about him. His reputation spreads far.

I'll not mention the club, but don't worry. I doubt it is the type you'd accidentally come across as a visitor

The Lion

Visit site
Pl
Every golfer in the county seems to have heard about him. His reputation spreads far.

I'll not mention the club, but don't worry. I doubt it is the type you'd accidentally come across as a visitor
Please do inbox me if you don’t want to share publicly. I do get around lol so you never know!