The Hardest Golf You've Ever Played

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The worst I played in was Alwoodley in June this year. Heavy rain throughout, although not as bad as yesterday, but for the back nine the wind really picked up as well. Our pairs betterball score was 20pts!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Trump Aberdeen from the back tees. hit the ball well, but only just made the fairway on a few holes. i dont think i used an iron too many times for my 2nd shot. cant remember exactly but i think the SSS was 6 shots over par. i had to use driver an a couple of the par 3 too
That’s not for me 😬

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Silloth on one of the forum meets was a tad cold, but not as bad as Carnoustie in driving rain, howling wind and sub zero temperature.

Neither compare to playing La Moye in Jersey in a thunder storm. Most frightened I have ever been in my life. I dropped my carry bag and ran to the nearest open air wooden shelter. It was pitch black apart from the sky lighting up with the lightening. Sat with my playing partner with the lightening all around us for three hours, not daring to move. Course was completely flooded when we finally made our way to the clubhouse, which of course was closed up with our change of clothes inside. The car in the car park had water halfway up the wheels, and this was on high ground. :eek:

Might explain why I was shouting at Neil Tappin to stop lasering the pin and get a something move on when the lightening was overhead at West Surrey.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Couple of years back I went with my club head pro Luke to play Southerness. It was very windy as we paid our subs and the lovely lady taking our money said there was rain coming and no-one was going out. We decided to go for it.

As we teed off the rain started.

By the time we reached the 5th we were getting blasted by horizontal rain and even Luke was really struggling to keep his ball on the fairway…we gave up and walked in - drenched and exhausted - after putting out on 5th…when btw I holed a birdie putt after three topped shots along the ground got me onto the green 👍

That was the worst…as heavy rain as West Surrey…but with added gale force wind.

Note. The lovely lady smiled as we walked into the office to say how right she was…before giving us our money back.😍

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Playing Fleetwood and St Annes Old links are probably the two times I remember playing in really terrible weather.

But that might have been topped by playing Mitton Fold twice in one day on foot before I joined a golf club - we did the two-for-one vouchers before that and played well-priced courses not too far away.

I slept for about ten hours that night.

We later found out the cheap day rate for the buggies!

It was a snip at the price then, so we went back a few more times without the walking!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Probably the Roxburghe with @Maninblack4612 a few years ago in an open. It's a cracking course but long off the whites and it was very windy. We genuinely stood discussing on the 1st tee whether to just play off the yellows and dq ourselves.

I took driver off all 18 tees, was thoroughly beaten up, MiB trolley battery gave up with 2-3 holes left. Every hole into wind was just brutal. We were all very quiet in the bar afterwards, tired and defeated.

Been back since off yellow tees, no wind. Fabulous, different place to play.
My last round (without a buggy) was going to be this year but Covid intervened. I concur with Lord T, probably one of the hardest I've played. Also, the walks between some of the greens & tees are a real trek. Locally, I would say Rockliffe is almost as difficult, as is Close House Colt, although not nearly as enjoyable as the other two.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Gotta go all the way back to my junior days.

Crosland Heath Junior Open - we'd been up the day before for a practice round, beautiful sunny day, little wind.
The following day we had howling winds and rain - I couldn't hit a decent shot to save my life - NR'd as early as the 5th if my memory is correct.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play in a swindle with about 20 guys in it usually. One day only 3 of would go out due to the strength of the wind.
On one hole, a reachable in 2 par 5, I used driver 3 wood, 3 wood and was still short of the green and they were all good shots.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Birkdale in the wind and driving rain. A bit like WS it was a charity competition and nobody scored 30 points or better in a field 0f over 90.

What's the definition of madness again? doing the same thing and expecting a different result :confused:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Anytime I've been to the coast has been a culture shock, a wet and windy day at Royal Porthcawl probably being the worst, or a Wednesday as they call it in Wales.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
"I was wondering what the hardest round of golf you'd ever had to play was? It could be because of the weather conditions, the course or the circumstances..."

No one else picked up on the circumstances, so I will have a go.

Family had a very bad week. My dad was in a very bad way with a brain tumour and the time had come for him to go to a Loros Hospice.
The day arranged for that was the Saturday of the club championship.
I hadn't played golf for over a week and I was thinking about withdrawing. Mum and brother persuaded me to go and have a bit of practice on the Thursday and think about it.
I decided I would play. My brother said that if dad was safely in Loros in the morning, he would caddie for me in the afternoon.
All that came to pass and I won my club championship for the first time shooting a 3-over par 143.
Took the trophy to show dad a few days later. He died 11 days after that.

I've had a lot of difficulty actually typing that out, had to cut out some details, got a bit tearful, but there you go.

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"I was wondering what the hardest round of golf you'd ever had to play was? It could be because of the weather conditions, the course or the circumstances..."

No one else picked up on the circumstances, so I will have a go.

Family had a very bad week. My dad was in a very bad way with a brain tumour and the time had come for him to go to a Loros Hospice.
The day arranged for that was the Saturday of the club championship.
I hadn't played golf for over a week and I was thinking about withdrawing. Mum and brother persuaded me to go and have a bit of practice on the Thursday and think about it.
I decided I would play. My brother said that if dad was safely in Loros in the morning, he would caddie for me in the afternoon.
All that came to pass and I won my club championship for the first time shooting a 3-over par 143.
Took the trophy to show dad a few days later. He died 11 days after that.

I've had a lot of difficulty actually typing that out, had to cut out some details, got a bit tearful, but there you go.

That’s tough man. A nice memory showing him the trophy though I don’t doubt. You must have dug deep those rounds. Massive respect for that - and sharing it today. Fair play for that 🙌

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
That’s tough man. A nice memory showing him the trophy though I don’t doubt. You must have dug deep those rounds. Massive respect for that - and sharing it today. Fair play for that 🙌
Feelings of big joy and big sadness around the same time can play havoc with the old noggin.
That much I learned from then.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Lykia Links in Turkey a few years back. Any course that you've never played will be tough, especially one by the coast with significant wind and unfamiliar grass type.

This memory is not about me however.

I was part of a group of 16 from my club and we played behind another group of a dozen or so Brits.

Anyway...we get back to the clubhouse and once we've been "watered" our organiser starts going through the scores, sorting out the skins and other prizes. Anyway...our scores as they were called out varied from low 20's to high 30's.

After we'd done, chatting to a few guys from the other group they congratulated us on our scoring....not one of their group had scored better than 25points.

I said...well you did play off the yellow tees so it was much tougher. The fella responded...but it was only 6,300 yards on the card. I then pointed out the yardages were actually meters and his group had played a course close to 7000 yards....we had played the blue tees at something like 5700 meters or 6,270 yards.

I don't think there were enough light bulbs in the world to highlight his sudden comprehension.

He said...no wonder our scoring has been so *** over the last couple of days!!

Visit site
Played Monte Major near Marbella back in around 2005. It has closed now. We arrived after a night on the brandy, feeling worse for wear. I got 5 points on the front 9, and 13 on the back.
My pal was well behind. We both said never again, and maybe others saying the same is why it closed. Nearest course today is Marbella Country Club Resort, and that will at least give you an idea what it was like.....but it's far more playable.
There was a comment earlier on here about Dunbar. We played that in 2004 in gale force winds. Of the nine of us, the lowest Stableford score was 7 points, and I think I won with 28 which was well ahead of the field.
One fellow player landed his ball on the 13th green. After FIVE putts, he was further from the hole than he had been after two shots onto the green.
I will be playing there again in about two weeks.....hoping for some decent weather!!

Visit site
Burnham & Berrow or St Enodoc.

St Enodoc… I fought like crazy for an 82 when I first played it. I improved my game, and visited 2 years later thinking “I’m gonna get revenge”… I didn’t make a par until the 12th hole 😂

Burnham is just a tough track and always windy.