Socks - what's your clubs rules

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose that part of the argument is that many people would not even think to have to check what socks to wear. Certainly if it were not for comments on here and the experiences of one person I know at a club not too far from me, I would not have even thought to check what socks to wear with shorts when visiting a club.

I appreciate that clubs can have what rules they want and if you do not like them you go elsewhere. That said, there is nothing wrong with discussing and debating the logic or reason for such rules in general. I would certainly be intrigued to know why they exist and why they started in the first place. Long socks do not make you look smarter, they are not practical so why? It is the same with so many dress issues, if the whole purpose is to keep appearances smart then fine, if that is what you want then OK but surely then the common sense is to also have issues with those who are complying with the strict letter of the dress code but look a mess in moth eaten sweaters, trashed old shoes etc. So, can we move beyond the fact that clubs have the right to impose such rules, that is granted, and move on to why the rules exist or why it is felt such rules are needed.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I suppose that part of the argument is that many people would not even think to have to check what socks to wear. Certainly if it were not for comments on here and the experiences of one person I know at a club not too far from me, I would not have even thought to check what socks to wear with shorts when visiting a club.

I appreciate that clubs can have what rules they want and if you do not like them you go elsewhere. That said, there is nothing wrong with discussing and debating the logic or reason for such rules in general. I would certainly be intrigued to know why they exist and why they started in the first place. Long socks do not make you look smarter, they are not practical so why? It is the same with so many dress issues, if the whole purpose is to keep appearances smart then fine, if that is what you want then OK but surely then the common sense is to also have issues with those who are complying with the strict letter of the dress code but look a mess in moth eaten sweaters, trashed old shoes etc. So, can we move beyond the fact that clubs have the right to impose such rules, that is granted, and move on to why the rules exist or why it is felt such rules are needed.

Because in the good old days where people were judged on what they wore, they made some people feel superior to others as they wore a better class of sock??;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The whole "sock law" thing has always baffled me, as has most of the dress codes...
OK, it's not a big deal to turn up in a polo shirt and a pair of trousers but if you don't....is it really a problem..? Really..?
As for socks - well in 2016 it's ridiculous.
You can turn up in a lime green Galvin Green shirt matched with a Pink pair of shorts and bright blue shoes but you'll be turned away because you've got Red socks on.....if people can't see the nonsense in that then there's something seriously wrong with them.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
We can probably close the forum now cant we? As we are talking about socks....

Another thing to put new golfers off the sport...

S

Snelly

The whole "sock law" thing has always baffled me, as has most of the dress codes...
OK, it's not a big deal to turn up in a polo shirt and a pair of trousers but if you don't....is it really a problem..? Really..?
As for socks - well in 2016 it's ridiculous.
You can turn up in a lime green Galvin Green shirt matched with a Pink pair of shorts and bright blue shoes but you'll be turned away because you've got Red socks on.....if people can't see the nonsense in that then there's something seriously wrong with them.

I agree completely.

I think the rule at my club is white sports socks of any length.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The sock rule us simply a way for blithering idiots to have something to moan about BEFORE someone's round starts just in case they don't find anything to moan about later

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Keeping out the riff-raff. That's what all of the dress codes are about. Snobbish exclusivity used to be a selling point for clubs.

I think it may relate back to our Colonial days.
As an 18 year old Royal Engineer in 1958 I was aboard a Troop Ship en route to Christmas Island in the Pacific.
We had 2 ports of call Curacao and then Panama.
On each occasion we had shore leavenformwhich our Regimental dress was as follows:-
Jungle green cotton jacket and shorts, Knee high navy blue socks with Regimental flash, puttees and highly bulled best boots plus beret.
The Yanks ,who were running Panama then ,loved it andmcouldnot believe their eyes.
Only 4 hours ashore but the number of fights you wouldn't believe.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As an 18 year old Royal Engineer in 1958 I was aboard a Troop Ship en route to Christmas Island in the Pacific.
On each occasion we had shore leavenformwhich our Regimental dress was as follows:-
Jungle green cotton jacket and shorts, Knee high navy blue socks with Regimental flash, puttees and highly bulled best boots plus beret.
The Yanks ,who were running Panama then ,loved it andmcouldnot believe their eyes.

Wow, that must have been some adventure? Some quite significant megaton scale fireworks set off there if memory serves me well?!!!

Heck of an image with the uniform too...

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes still got the bruises, from the fights that is.
Luckily no ill effects from the actual Nuclear Tests for me but other guys were not so fortunate.
Different days then and at eighteen just an adventure.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The fact that any rule exists about socks is grim reading to anyone from outside the sport and helps to perpetuate the fuddy duddy image of the game. I can't imagine any other sport having this discussion.

Black socks and shorts are a fashion disaster but no more than that.

Well posted Satchfan.

Which is what I thought until my daughter pointed out that it is rather trendy amongst young 20something lads to wear knee length dark socks with their trainers and other shoes...

Socks are required at our place - but not 'invisible' trainer socks - socks that just cover the ankle are fine. Short dark socks worn with shorts (cargo shorts not permitted) are indeed a fashion disaster

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes still got the bruises, from the fights that is.
Luckily no ill effects from the actual Nuclear Tests for me but other guys were not so fortunate.
Different days then and at eighteen just an adventure.

Lucky escape... Can't imagine being caught up in that. Very different times then no doubt. The socks sound traumatic too:eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As I've said, it's very well these clubs having these rules, whether this is short or long white socks, but I guarantee a fifteen-twenty minute loiter by the first tee will reveal at least one club member breaking the rule. If the clubs aren't going to enforce it for those paying their subs, why should they get their knickers in a twist for a one off visitor?

D

Deleted member 16999

And being a Sapper, you looked immaculate and every fight was won. Ubique.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting replies

My club has not got any sort of dress code anywhere, however this is not taken advantage of by members taking the piss on the main course anyway as the vast majority wear golfing type gear

As I mentioned in my original post, the club I visited did have a dress code where white socks were indicated on there website - I passed the club on a steam train ride a couple of days before I played and noticed chaps were playing with ankle socks and shorts

So the club was not enforcing their own outdated rules in my opinion, a sensible thing in this day and age I think