What would you wear if there was NO dress code at your club?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
On the course I wouldn't actually change anything. However, in the club house I'd like to change the rules on jeans and trainers.

Its quite funny, we allow jeans in our clubhouse and I'm still yet to see anyone change into them after a round of golf, I can't see anyone doing it unless you are going straight out and showering after your round, but how many of you do that as well :mmm:

I think the jeans rule changing was more an attempt to get members when not playing to be able to drop in to the club for a meal or drink when passing, not sure of its impact, still never seen anyone wearing them!

As for the OP, I'd wear pretty much the same as I do, I think I would even find cargo shorts restrictive if not a little heavy, lightweight specific golfing attire is just splendid old chaps :smirk:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its quite funny, we allow jeans in our clubhouse and I'm still yet to see anyone change into them after a round of golf, I can't see anyone doing it unless you are going straight out and showering after your round, but how many of you do that as well :mmm:

I think the jeans rule changing was more an attempt to get members when not playing to be able to drop in to the club for a meal or drink when passing, not sure of its impact, still never seen anyone wearing them!

As for the OP, I'd wear pretty much the same as I do, I think I would even find cargo shorts restrictive if not a little heavy, lightweight specific golfing attire is just splendid old chaps :smirk:

Since they changed the rules at ours to allow jeans, Ive showered and put Jeans on probably a dozen times, usually when Im heading somewhere straight from the course afterwards. A few have commented but thems the rules now (and our place is pretty laid back anyway).

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got told off on Friday for wearing a T'shirt without a collar on the course/in the clubhouse which I thought was a bit petty as after all it was a decent quality plain white v-neck T with navy blue piping on the collar and cuffs, what I don't understand though is how come I'm not allowed to wear a tidy T'shirt in the clubhouse but they can wear a scabby pair of denim jeans ?...:angry:

sneill

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Id probably wear very similar to I do now. As its the most comfortable for golf. However I often get some looks from the older legion when I turn my Ricky Fowler type hat backwards to putt.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would occasionally wear cargo shorts or trousers. Damned comfy things and they look okay to my eyes. Cargo shorts are so common now that unless you buy a specific pair of golf shorts then they are hard to avoid. I don't own a pair of jeans so that one is not an issue for me.

After playing on a hot day it would also be nice to wear flipflops or walking sandals in the bar. I always feel stupid going into a bar in shorts and then have to wear shoes and socks.

Shirts, jumpers etc would stay the same.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
After playing on a hot day it would also be nice to wear flipflops or walking sandals in the bar. I always feel stupid going into a bar in shorts and then have to wear shoes and socks.

We can now wear our spikeless shoes or trainers in the bar so if its a hot shorts day we don't need to change, I have to say my new club was always being criticised for being stuffy and stuck up, but it couldn't be further from the truth, its very forward thinking.

seteefeet

Hacker
Visit site
I wouldn't play a round in jeans but I may pop in for a practice and / or a pint, so would definitely spend more time and money there. May even get better!
Don't think many would change the dress code for playing, it's the clubhouse that is restrictive and unnecessary.
Why for instance do shorts suddenly become offensive at 19:00? Especially if you are the only one in there!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

We relaxed our clubhouse dress code recently to allow jeans and permit us not having our shirts tucked in. And as much as I might have previously opposed them, I have to admit to taking advantage of both relaxations as I often pop into our clubhouse during the day for a coffee or lunch.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't play a round in jeans but I may pop in for a practice and / or a pint, so would definitely spend more time and money there. May even get better!
Don't think many would change the dress code for playing, it's the clubhouse that is restrictive and unnecessary.
Why for instance do shorts suddenly become offensive at 19:00? Especially if you are the only one in there!

Yes there are absurdities around dress code. When my lad was a member aged 11 he never wore long trousers out of school. One November day we were in the clubhouse and our steward picked up on my son given that members couldn't wear shorts in the clubhouse outside of summer dress code. I thought he was kidding - but he wasn't - but then again he truly was a bit of a silly bar steward at times.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
While not annual members at any one club we pretty much wear whatever we want at any of the 1/2 dozen courses

Always play in shorts, I wear the type with belt loops & no external pockets, tops are polo's & of course golf shoes

After golf its shower (its too hot & humid not too) then change into different shorts, clean polo or tee shirt, flipflops, sandals, trainers etc for drinks in the bar and maybe food

Being resort courses I think I'd seriously have to be inappropriately dressed to be refused on or off the course so its unlikely I'd change anything