Would you join a club that did not have a dress code?

Would you join a club that didn’t have a dress code?

• Yes

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We have 2 courses that have no dress code - you can wear pretty much what you want - footie shirts, basketball vest - a tutu if you are feeling that way out.

Appropriate golf clothing on the main course though, but of course it does mean that back in the bar area you have people wearing non conventional golf clobber. It's never been an issue, and it is one of the reasons the club remains solvent. One young lad did take his shirt off to enjoy his pint outside back in the summer, was asked to put it back on which he did with no objection.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really understand why anyone would choose to wear jeans for golf. Too thick to be comfortable wearing for a 4 hour walk in the summer, quickly become waterlogged and take ages to dry.
Yeah I've always thought this as well. Can't imagine many materials that are less practical for golf than jeans. I really don't think many people would wear them, given the option. They probably would at first if a dress code was removed, but they'd quickly realise they weren't practical. Once the novelty wore off I think most people would gravitate towards wearing comfortable sportswear - running bottoms or shorts and a sports t-shirt. Most people would just carry on wearing the golf gear they already own too, just without having to worry about what colour their socks are.

sunshine

Visit site
Comfortable sportswear is a good way to describe modern golf wear. My golf polos are lightweight and similar to running tops or football shirts. Shoes like trainers. If it’s a bit chilly I’ll wear a base layer or a mid layer similar to a training top. If there was no dress code I’d still wear this type of clothing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Comfortable sportswear is a good way to describe modern golf wear. My golf polos are lightweight and similar to running tops or football shirts. Shoes like trainers. If it’s a bit chilly I’ll wear a base layer or a mid layer similar to a training top. If there was no dress code I’d still wear this type of clothing.
Agree on the polos, mine are essentially identical to my sports tops, except with added collar. It's only the trousers/shorts that would differ a little as they wouldn't need to be 'tailored' anymore.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've never understood the arguments made against jeans in terms of their impracticality for golf.
The golf swing doesn't require much in the way of leg movement so the stiffness argument is a bit of a red herring.
They're no hotter than many other types of trousers, and if it gets too hot in summer the jeans proponent can wear cut-offs.
Most ordinary trousers take a while to dry once wet.

People originally wore jeans for work wear, if they're suitable for that physical activity they should be fine for golf.

D-S

Visit site
I don't think I would change much if anything that I wear if there was no dress code. As far as the Clubhouse is concerned most if not all restaurants, cafes and bars I go to do not have a need for any sort of dress code and 99% of the people dress appropriately for the venue, as for the other 1% who cares?

In France once, we saw a course that looked nice as we were driving past, not expecting to play golf that day I was wearing a simple cotton tee shirt and shorts - I asked the club if I should change my tee shirt for a polo shirt, they said of course not, why? I remember thinking that the tee shirt was very comfortable on a hot day and cooler than most of my polos - so if it was hot I might swap a polo shirt for a tee shirt. seems a bit weird that I can't now.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't really understand why anyone would choose to wear jeans for golf. Too thick to be comfortable wearing for a 4 hour walk in the summer, quickly become waterlogged and take ages to dry.
At a previous club there was one guy that continually wore jeans. Imaginatively we called him Jeans Man.

Saw him on a particularly wet day walking out of knee high rough and you could see his jeans just absorbing the water up the legs. First thought was that it had to be cold and uncomfortable.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
At a previous club there was one guy that continually wore jeans. Imaginatively we called him Jeans Man.

Saw him on a particularly wet day walking out of knee high rough and you could see his jeans just absorbing the water up the legs. First thought was that it had to be cold and uncomfortable.
Not to mention the chafing :eek:

3 jabber

Visit site
The funniest thing about all these threads is that 99.9% of males in their 20s or older own a polo shirt and chinos but rebel against wearing them 🤣

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
As a complete aside to all this...

I cannot believe the clothes that people wear at the airport and on planes these days. I find this more annoying than what people wear on a golf course, simply because I could end up sitting next to them for several hours.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As a complete aside to all this...

I cannot believe the clothes that people wear at the airport and on planes these days. I find this more annoying than what people wear on a golf course, simply because I could end up sitting next to them for several hours.
Agreed. I’m sure a lot of people buy a football shirt to wear going on holiday and would never dream of wearing it ever again. Do they even like football? 🙄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never understood the arguments made against jeans in terms of their impracticality for golf.
The golf swing doesn't require much in the way of leg movement so the stiffness argument is a bit of a red herring.
They're no hotter than many other types of trousers, and if it gets too hot in summer the jeans proponent can wear cut-offs.
Most ordinary trousers take a while to dry once wet.

People originally wore jeans for work wear, if they're suitable for that physical activity they should be fine for golf.
It depends how much you're into golf gear I guess. When I started playing I wore chinos because that's what I had. But when I discovered proper golf trousers I never looked back. My legs get very warm walking up and down hills, and I would never wear chinos for a round now, even in winter - I categorise them alongside jeans as being too thick material, too warm in summer, soak up winter too easily in winter. But some people never get past the chino phase, don't really get into golf gear as much and are happy to wear what they already own.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Agreed. I’m sure a lot of people buy a football shirt to wear going on holiday and would never dream of wearing it ever again. Do they even like football? 🙄
I couldn't care less about football shirts to be honest. I flew out of LHR recently and then LAX coming back. At both airports we are talking about lots of people walking around in what can only be described as pyjamas, usually with a pair of crocs on their feet. And some young girls were wearing what can only be described as a bra... yeah, yeah but imagine being cabin crew and having to deal with this sort of stuff.