• Nope

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Yes - but if too strict don’t play

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What are the chances that there's a club committee out there somewhere that, if they thought they could get away with it, would 'beef' up their dress-code prohibited list to include being unshaven &/or unkempt hair, men wearing earrings or other visible piercings' & visible tattoos :LOL:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
After 3 years on this forum you are absolutely the last person I thought would make a judgement on somebody's character based entirely on their appearance. Especially in the context of something so existentially trivial as clothing choice for participating in recreational sport.
But I'm not going to judge you for it. 😘
Not so much judging on appearance, more judging by actions. But even if I don’t like the actions I’ll not hold on to any resentments.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Not so much judging on appearance, more judging by actions. But even if I don’t like the actions I’ll not hold on to any resentments.

The OP asked if folk check. Some folk will in case they fall foul of it, some won't because it doesn't occur to them to do so and some don't give a monkeys either way.

All dress code threads go down this route.

We have a rule about tattoos being spelled correctly and have a retired English Teacher at the gate checking!

PaulMdj

Visit site
The fact is we all make judgements on people when meeting or observing them, we maybe correct or totally off the mark. It’s human nature.

The only way we are proved right or wrong is either by getting to know them or seeing their behaviour.

What we shouldn’t do is tar everyone with the same brush or form our opinion based on our own insecurities.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not wrong…it’s just my opinion…that people who ‘don’t tuck their shirt’ in when the dress code requires them to might also not do other simple things required of them. That is a not unreasonable possibility. But it’s only my opinion.

…and to me your ‘same’ logic is palpable nonsense…but ok…it’s your nonsense 😘
Jeez, you must have been watching me like a hawk when we played together last week then. Were you right, did I break any other rules in the round? :p

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Jeez, you must have been watching me like a hawk when we played together last week then. Were you right, did I break any other rules in the round? :p
None that mattered…😉 (I’m kiddin’)

Besides - which bit of the playing dress code do you think you didn’t adhere to…not that any of us could tell what we were wearing under our waterproofs 🤣

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The fact is we all make judgements on people when meeting or observing them, we maybe correct or totally off the mark. It’s human nature.

The only way we are proved right or wrong is either by getting to know them or seeing their behaviour.

What we shouldn’t do is tar everyone with the same brush or form our opinion based on our own insecurities.
Indeed. Couldn’t agree more 👍

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The OP asked if folk check. Some folk will in case they fall foul of it, some won't because it doesn't occur to them to do so and some don't give a monkeys either way.

All dress code threads go down this route.

We have a rule about tattoos being spelled correctly and have a retired English Teacher at the gate checking!
Surely a Welsh teacher would be required in your neck of the woods? Not that anyone would know if the welsh words were spelt correctly - just a jumble of random letters and not enough vowels :ROFLMAO: :cool:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Surely a Welsh teacher would be required in your neck of the woods? Not that anyone would know if the welsh words were spelt correctly - just a jumble of random letters and not enough vowels :ROFLMAO: :cool:

'No one actually speaks Welsh" (Uncle Bryn in Gav & Stacey)

Additional thought. Anyone who starts a sentence with "literally" or tells you their pronouns, instant ban.

Apologies for the flippant direction of the above... but a club can set whatever (legal) rules it likes. (See signature below)

Going there is not compulsory.
The club being solvent is not compulsory either.😁

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

In your defense - at my club - a muni - the guys not dressed in golf attire are absolutely the ones that don't bother looking after the course. (there are plenty of these that of course do!)

Pretty much all of our members play in golf attire and I don't know a member who doesn't try to look after our course, its the pay and plays on their occasional day of golfing that don't.

Evidence base - my own eyes over years of playing at my club.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Two observations...
One..
Back in 1987 I started working in London having moved down from Lancashire in my very early 20s. Myself and one of the other new guys on the firm, from Troon, went down the King's Road one Saturday for a day out. We stopped off in a few bars as you might imagine and also a few retail outlets.

Emerging from one shop my mate proceeded to show me a second hand, ripped across the knees, pair of 501"s. When I enquired how much he had been charged for something you might see a tramp wearing, he gave me a figure north of £100. It was the first time I'd ever been aware that "ripped jeans" (let alone "second hand" ripped jeans) was a "thing".

I looked at him with much distain and gave him some abuse.

Nearly 40 years on I still regard ripped jeans as some sort of joke that has been dressed up as "fashion" in an attempt to extract money from the gullible. They cannot be smart and have no place anywhere near a golf club.

Secondly...
I regularly play a casual round on my own (especially on a hot day) with my shirt untucked to get a bit of breeze flowing round me. I diligently repair pitch marks (my own and others) and rake bunkers. The only person harmed by my unkempt dress is myself, when my putter catches in the loose shirt causing me to miss.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have seen some impeccably dressed golfers not raking bunkers or repairing pitch marks so there is no correlation between adhering to dress code and adhering to basic golf etiquette
Correlation is not an all or nothing phenomenon it is a tendency for two things to be associated.
You cannot concluded that one well dressed person not raking a bunker means well dressed people are less likely to rake bunkers.

I'm not suggesting there is or is not a correlation but single observations don't really demonstrate anything.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So if someone decides to drive over 70mph on the motorway they are more likely to commit armed robbery? You really are talking complete tosh 🤣
No. It’s the other way round (at least it is for me) - it’s the small stuff I don’t do. If I am diligent in not dropping any small pieces of litter I am very unlikely to fly tip an old fridge or mattress. It’s mindset. Well it is for me, and I’m only talking about me.

Last edited:

3 jabber

Visit site
People can choose to abide by rules or choose to ignore them. If they choose to ignore them I have no idea where their boundaries will be. Quite likely it will be more than just untucked shirt or ripped jeans though.