Dress codes

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I more mean

"When meeting before play, golfing attire may be worn in either bar. For gentlemen, a jacket and tie or roll neck is mandatory after 11.00 a.m. in either bar. In the Dining Room, gentlemen must wear jacket and tie."

"All play is in two ball format with foursomes preferred, especially in the morning. No three or fourball golf is played. "

Nothing worse than needing a jacket after a round of golf on a hot day just to have a drink after your round

I see what you mean. These days that is quite unusual

But. if you like links golf, it's well worth the experience as a one off. Go as a two and play your own ball. The second course is also worth playing in the morning.

Once over the threshold, the inmates are very friendly. There's no need to go in for lunch etc... could even have your lunch up the road.

Hey, but if that's not your thing, that's fine too.

Last edited:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I more mean

"When meeting before play, golfing attire may be worn in either bar. For gentlemen, a jacket and tie or roll neck is mandatory after 11.00 a.m. in either bar. In the Dining Room, gentlemen must wear jacket and tie."

"All play is in two ball format with foursomes preferred, especially in the morning. No three or fourball golf is played. "

Nothing worse than needing a jacket after a round of golf on a hot day just to have a drink after your round
Played at Rye a few times and they are always very welcoming. The course is fantastic too. Dressing for drinks and luncheon is not any real hardship though. It all adds to the occasion.

D-S

Visit site
We have a meeting at Rye every year, We play 18 holes of foursomes, get changed into jacket and tie, have lunch, play 18 holes of singles in 2 balls, get changed into jacket and tie for a post round drink, back to the hotel, get changed into normal clothes to go out for dinner. Some golf, a lot of getting dressed.

D

Deleted member 29109

We have a meeting at Rye every year, We play 18 holes of foursomes, get changed into jacket and tie, have lunch, play 18 holes of singles in 2 balls, get changed into jacket and tie for a post round drink, back to the hotel, get changed into normal clothes to go out for dinner. Some golf, a lot of getting dressed.
That sounds like a lot of hassle and nonsense.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree. It goes back to the crux of the thread and if you really want to play somewhere with known dress code requirements like Rye, Sunningdale etc then you either abide by these rules and play and enjoy what is usually a wonderful golfing experience or you don't. Rye has had its own quirky rules for years, especially around dress code and playing foursomes/singles and getting changed but it is a relatively difficult place to play but so worth it and so you simply put up with the dress code

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If people who feel putting a tie on makes something 'special', then why not do it more often? For those of us who find putting a tie on uncomfortable and irritating, leave us alone. There is nothing 'special' about it for many people.
To be fair, it's not the dressing up that makes it special, but Rye in particular is a very traditional club and a place I enjoyed playing and was on the bucket list (especially since I use to go on holiday to Pontins at Camber Sands and watched the golfers from the beach) so I was happy to put up with the dress code

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, it's not the dressing up that makes it special, but Rye in particular is a very traditional club and a place I enjoyed playing and was on the bucket list (especially since I use to go on holiday to Pontins at Camber Sands and watched the golfers from the beach) so I was happy to put up with the dress code
I think the part in bold sums it up for many. People have quoted on here though how putting on a jacket and tie makes an event more special for them. Good for them, I'm pleased for them. Shame they feel the need to impose their beliefs on others though, those who get no such joy from dressing that way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the part in bold sums it up for many. People have quoted on here though how putting on a jacket and tie makes an event more special for them. Good for them, I'm pleased for them. Shame they feel the need to impose their beliefs on others though, those who get no such joy from dressing that way.
It isn't something I have to do very often when playing golf so I can put up with it once in a while. As someone who use to have to wear a suit and tie for work and found that a drag and a burden then not having to anymore, it is nice to get one of them out of the wardrobe with a nice shirt and tie. A bit like having to usually get dressed up for some social events like Royal Ascot (even to get into the Silver ring or onto the heath) or a wedding. Some things have a set etiquette and so do some places. Is it really a belief or just a club with an archaic way of doing things that see that as a USP these days

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Even more faff if you have to play 18, shower, change, lunch, play 18, etc. How long do these people have between rounds to fit all that in?

Personal hygiene isn't compulsory 🤣🤣

I'm sure our 2 ball only took about 3 hours to play.

You are right of course. In these enlightened times of 5 hour plus rounds, there isn't time for two rounds and changing for lunch.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
If people who feel putting a tie on makes something 'special', then why not do it more often? For those of us who find putting a tie on uncomfortable and irritating, leave us alone. There is nothing 'special' about it for many people.

For some it’s part of the occasion - some societies still have jacket and tie after . When I played Rye in a match there it was part of the occasion of playing in a match that’s over 70 years old

Each year there is a tournament at Deal called the Halford Hewitt - long socks etc , jacket and tie - and for some it’s a prestigious tournament that includes all the after match celebrations

If someone doesn’t want to be part of it then it’s not compulsory just as it’s not compulsory to play at a course where there are strict dress codes both on and off the course

Lots of choices for people to pick

No one is forced into anything

D-S

Visit site
For some it’s part of the occasion - some societies still have jacket and tie after . When I played Rye in a match there it was part of the occasion of playing in a match that’s over 70 years old

Each year there is a tournament at Deal called the Halford Hewitt - long socks etc , jacket and tie - and for some it’s a prestigious tournament that includes all the after match celebrations

If someone doesn’t want to be part of it then it’s not compulsory just as it’s not compulsory to play at a course where there are strict dress codes both on and off the course

Lots of choices for people to pick

No one is forced into anything
I've played in the Hewitt quite a few times. No need for jacket and tie at Deal. As it's played in early April no need to worry about long socks as shorts are never a good idea. Most eat in the snack bar or terrace at Sandwich so you only need the jacket and tie if you are going into the Dining room. The plate is held at Princes who are fairly normal re dress code.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I've played in the Hewitt quite a few times. No need for jacket and tie at Deal. As it's played in early April no need to worry about long socks as shorts are never a good idea. Most eat in the snack bar or terrace at Sandwich so you only need the jacket and tie if you are going into the Dining room. The plate is held at Princes who are fairly normal re dress code.

My mate was there this year , seems there was a bit of a dry spell and a few schools decided to go full blown old school from the pics he sent 😂. Tweed jacket included

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The only thing I put a jacket and tie on for these days is a funeral