Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Yes - but if too strict don’t play

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

sunshine

Visit site
Our club doesn’t insist on long socks with shorts but I’m bringing them back, a shapely calf, encased in a beautiful woollen sock is a thing of beauty

Absolutely. But how do you prevent your socks from falling down? A lace top garter, or suspenders?

sunshine

Visit site
The one item that has always confused me is "no trainers" on the golf course. Surely trainers cause far less damage than spikes, and today of course most golf shoes look like trainers anyway.

sunshine

Visit site
I generally never change after a round so it slipped my mind to pack anything.

I don't believe you.

Golf forum day out is like Paris fashion week, you knew you were going to be judged by every fashionista in the clubhouse. You meticulously planned your wardrobe weeks in advance, I bet you asked your wife for her opinion on various outfits.

There is no way it "slipped your mind".

RichA

Visit site
Yes - jacket and tie required for the pavillion at Lords
I was a Middlesex member about 10 years ago and did once make the effort to put on smart trousers, jacket and tie to spend time in the pavilion.
You can't necessarily tell on TV, but jacket and tie does not equal smart.
Plenty of dapper old chaps but also lots of frayed shirt collars and jacket cuffs, holed elbows and grubby trousers. And the smell of jackets worn all summer without being cleaned isn't wonderful.

sunshine

Visit site
Honestly, hardly. I'll just wear golf clothes. I was technically meant to have my shirt tucked in at Puttenham but totally forgot, and I'll give you one guess as to how many people commented.

You need to provide a bit more information if you want us to guess. What day of the week was this?

Saturday men's comp - 0 comments.
Visitors day - 0 comments on course, 1 apologetic comment in clubhouse from bar manager on behalf of crusty member in the corner.
Seniors Day - 3 comments.
Ladies Day - 17 comments, and that's just on arrival in the car park.

Reactions: sjw

Morfeen75

Visit site
The one item that has always confused me is "no trainers" on the golf course. Surely trainers cause far less damage than spikes, and today of course most golf shoes look like trainers anyway.
About 15yrs ago i was in USA and i bought a pair of Nike Golf shoes that looked like traditional running shoes but had a soft spiked sole. When i came home i was playing at a notoriously stuffy Berkshire Golf club with some friends. One of the old feckers on the committee raced over 3 fairways to tell me that i couldnt wear trainers and i had to change my footwear if i was to carry on playing golf. Anyway after a heated discussion i showed him the sole of my shoes and explained they were "golf" Shoes and i wouldnt be changing them. He nearly exploded with rage.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

A lot of the early golf shoes were all about stability and grip on golf course

As the years went by comfort became key and with trainers being king of comfort where used as a base to build golf shoes on

You can’t tell the difference these days apart from one key area - the sole , the grip to allow you still keep stable whilst playing

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I don't believe you.

Golf forum day out is like Paris fashion week, you knew you were going to be judged by every fashionista in the clubhouse. You meticulously planned your wardrobe weeks in advance, I bet you asked your wife for her opinion on various outfits.

There is no way it "slipped your mind".
Every single Forum day that I have been on has been a very relaxed atmosphere

People attending are looking to enjoy a good days golf

The minimum any organiser wants whether that a forum day or even a local society if for people to show courtesy and respect for the host course

No one is judged when they attend

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Whenever a golf club website consistently describes players as ‘gentlemen’ they likely have a dress code you should pay attention to ;)
Jeez even clubs referring to it as a dress ‘code’ suggests they think its linked to a level of formal conduct. Rather than dress recommendation or just saying ‘What to Wear’

I'm going out for dinner in a couple of weeks to local hotel and the restaurant we'll be eating in has a 'no shorts' rule in the evening

Tell you who should have a 'what to wear/dress code' before letting you in... shops!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

The minimum any organiser wants whether that a forum day or even a local society if for people to show courtesy and respect for the host course

How many forum days have you been on since you joined the forum a few months ago?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

I like being judged at a golf club.
Gives me one more thing to moan about.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don’t think I have ever seen any dress code in regards golf joggers or what socks have to be worn with them

Most dress codes evolve as golf fashion changes

We changed ours last year ( took a loooooonnng time )

Last meeting someone wanted to go back to old one 😂 he looked like he spent all round playing in the trees with the amount of holes and rubbish on his jumper and yet was moaning about joggers , and shorts with a pocket on the side - both made by UA and sold in pro shop

No but long socks and joggers looks horrendous so If ankle socks were an issue on a dress code - id avoid joggers altogether!